Theistic Arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Theistic Arguments
Hello everyone,
This is my first time on an atheistic forum and first time coming out as an atheist.

Since coming to the self realization that I was really an atheist, I've begun to research more about my previous faith (which I disclose as Islam), that I hadn't really thought about.

I read and watch apologetics like Hamza Tzortzis and Dr. Zakir Naik and etc. I read various of authentic hadiths from Abu Dawud, Bukhari, and Muslim. I haven't though read the Qur'an from front to back but had been able analyzing large swaths of the book. I read works by lots of philosophers such Hume and Kant along with Ibn Razi and Ibn Sina.

My basic point is I want to try my hand at debating theists now mainly because 1) I come to believe that the evidence (namely none) supports the notion of Islam or any religion being supernaturally inspired and 2) I see debates and very much enjoy it and desire to be a part of it.

So leave a comment if you want to debate.

See ya later.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: Theistic Arguments
Welcome Ironclaw (nice name btw).

I admire your intent and hope that you find what you seek.

Muslim apologists seldom frequent our little atheistic paradise but you might be able to hone your skills with a few christians.

Enjoy. Thumbsup

19-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not a theist, I'm a former Christian, but I can throw a few standard arguments\cliche's at you:

Where do you get your morals?

Stalin was an atheist and killed millions!

It takes more faith to be an atheist!

Religious icon X has more documented history than Y (any well know historical figure) This is the standard 10/42 apologetic of Christians.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Funnily enough, you're in luck - a Muslim apologist just arrived, too.

I'd be interesting in specificially pro/counter-Islam points. Most arguments for theism are not specific to certain religions - all the moral, cosmological, etc stuff.
(and actually they're not even theistic...)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Welcome Ironclaw Smile
19-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new too. I have had a lot of experience with religion, not much with Islam, but what I find is when you understand WHY people believe what they do then knowing exactly WHAT they believe isn't important at all.

For example; people are afraid, something like death is one of the main fears out there, you not only see religion drawing people into the fold by offering answers to death, but we see a lot of the media, T.V and Newspapers, they sell us stories that make us scared of death. Terrorism is not so much what extremists do, it is what we do to ourselves with the information we are given.

But if you read between the lines of most religions they point out how we are controlled by our fears and desires; most teachers of religion do not tell us this because if we learn to control our fears and desires then we are much more likely to be able to think for ourselves, we become hard to manipulate, and most people in power love to control people, including religious leaders.

So that is what I suggest; look for ways to help you control your fears and desires at will, these impulses are not always bad but they can be terrible when you least expect it, so being able to control them when they become dangerous is important. I think just by not wanting to be controlled by them is the best way to control them.
19-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Welcome, Ironclaw - good to have you here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forums...I haven't seen too many Muslims here, mainly if there are theists here, they are Christian. But, never know, post up a topic thread, more specific to your debate, and maybe someone will pursue it. I hope you enjoy the forums. Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart