Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(15-02-2017 03:30 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  There is never any way of distinguishing this reality from a "brain in a vat". You can only assume, or state, that this is not the case.
Yes and it's not a practical problem, either.

There is no way for me to tell whether I am an actual physical being typing these words, or a brain in a vat, or a sleeping human plugged into "the matrix", or a discarnate spirit given the illusion of a physical body. But it does not matter in any practical way. Whatever its ultimate foundation, I find myself existing and some ways of viewing that and working with it are effective for my purposes, others are not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
15-02-2017, 01:14 PM
(14-02-2017 10:26 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 03:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  It makes sense. If you don't have real intent and sincere heart you don't care about the answer.
I don't know what book you quote. Where is this revelation written?

P.S. God answered every question I asked Him so far. I can speak only for myself.

Bullshit. Do you mean to tell me that there are zero devout Theists working on a cure for cancer who sincerely pray every night for the breakthrough they need to save millions of lives?

Really? You're that oblivious?

I mean, at this point, I'm not really surprised. But it's informative for all the new people here who have't experienced your staggering inanity before.

1)Why would I tell you this?
2)Why would I ask God to give me an answer to the question like ...umm...."how much is 7x5?" if I have capacity to figure it out on my own?
There are things that we can and have to figure out on our own. We can ask for inspiration but only if we work, search, learn.
I ask God questions I want to know about Him and eternal principles. I ask God to direct me when I don't know what choice is right or the best.
So far I always had an answer.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-02-2017, 01:57 PM
(15-02-2017 10:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 09:35 AM)Rik Wrote:  You seem to like to ignore the complexities and nuances of these subjects and instead look for gotchas by cherry picking what others say.

That's interesting observations, you're right about the gotcha part of it. That you see some of my questions, as gotcha questions. Except that the purpose of them is not to impugn their integrity, but to to net the contradiction. It's very effective means of exposing a contradiction in a person's thinking, but the problem you run into, is that once the question is formed and asked, the individual it's asked of begins to shutdown, and goes into this palliative refusal state. They become somewhat aware of being corned, and get's defensive, and will continue to avoid the uncomfortable question at all cost, and with considerable energy. It's an interesting mental phenomena to observe first hand.

It is not effective since you are cherry picking the data and people can see that. Since you are doing this knowingly, you are doing it dishonestly.
[+] 2 users Like Rik's post
15-02-2017, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2017 03:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-02-2017 03:30 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  There is never any way of distinguishing this reality from a "brain in a vat". You can only assume, or state, that this is not the case.

If it was only "you" ... perhaps he would have a problem with that. If it is that, or as Greene says, we a re a program running on the surface of the universe, it's all irrelevant.
It isn't. There are verifiable, TESTED, objective methods to take care of that problem.

It's a red herring.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-02-2017, 03:04 PM
(15-02-2017 01:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  I ask God questions I want to know about Him and eternal principles. I ask God to direct me when I don't know what choice is right or the best.
How does the answer come to you?
- Do you hear voice?
- You get a sign in the physical world?
- You just all of a sudden know the answer?
- Or something else?
15-02-2017, 03:07 PM
(15-02-2017 10:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's very effective means of exposing a contradiction in a person's thinking, but the problem you run into, is that once the question is formed and asked, the individual it's asked of begins to shutdown, and goes into this palliative refusal state.

WTF is a "palliative refusal state" ?
You have never once put anyone into any state except that of wondering how anyone could be as stupid as you are. You FAR exaggerate your (supposed) powers. You can't even write a coherent sentence in the English language, much less "put" anyone into anything.

Quote:It's an interesting mental phenomena to observe first hand.

You are seriously delusional.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2017, 03:16 PM
(15-02-2017 02:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

If it was only "you" ... perhaps he would have a problem with that. If it is that, or as Greene says, we a re a program running on the surface of the universe, it's all irrelevant.
It isn't. There are verifiable, TESTED, objective methods to take care of that problem.

It's a red herring.

You've completely lost me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I agree that bringing up brains in vats is indeed a red herring. That was the point I was making, in case it was unclear.

It's only a valid counter-argument to people who are trying to make statements of certainty about reality. It's a way of showing that certainty is beyond our grasp.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-02-2017, 03:49 PM
(15-02-2017 03:46 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree that bringing up brains in vats is indeed a red herring. That was the point I was making, in case it was unclear.

It's only a valid counter-argument to people who are trying to make statements of certainty about reality. It's a way of showing that certainty is beyond our grasp.

Exactly.
"Epistomology" provides nothing, especially certainty.

15-02-2017, 06:22 PM
(15-02-2017 01:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  I ask God questions I want to know about Him and eternal principles. I ask God to direct me when I don't know what choice is right or the best.

You've always had an answer? In what form? I do hope you mean you interpreted events around you as an answer. This is a completely understandable form of confirmation bias. But if you're hearing voices...

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam