Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 01:05 PM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(17-02-2017 12:39 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 12:27 PM)unfogged Wrote:  What kind of video are you making if you don't have a camera?

Voice recording.

Under what definition of "video" does "voice recording" fall in your reality?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-02-2017, 01:38 PM
(17-02-2017 12:58 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 12:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. It's only a question for those who have no education in Biblical Studies.
The Bible has been debunked.

BB, you said this:
"Matthew also says HUNDREDS of people woke up from their graves on Easter.
You can't possibly be serious."

I asked you: "what does it mean?" so I can't possibly be serious about it?
THIS IS THE QUESTION?
Do you have an answer?

Matthew 27: 51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

No one else seemed to notice this event, not even the other gospel authors.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 01:40 PM
(17-02-2017 01:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 12:39 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Voice recording.

Under what definition of "video" does "voice recording" fall in your reality?

Sorry forgot to mention I'm recording the screen. I'm responding to the comments in here and Robvalue's video.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
17-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Robvalue Wrote:Matthew 27: 51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Thank you!!
So, "to wake up in the grave" means to be resurrected. But why can't this be serious? I am just asking.

Robvalue Wrote:No one else seemed to notice this event, not even the other gospel authors.
May be they did. You don't know.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
17-02-2017, 02:23 PM
STEVIL, I answered your questions in post #146

17-02-2017, 02:52 PM
(17-02-2017 02:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:Matthew 27: 51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Thank you!!
So, "to wake up in the grave" means to be resurrected. But why can't this be serious? I am just asking.

Well, because this kind of stuff doesn't happen. It's obviously made up.

Quote:
Robvalue Wrote:No one else seemed to notice this event, not even the other gospel authors.
May be they did. You don't know.

I don't know anything for certain, about anything. No one does. All we can do is discuss the most likely scenarios. The idea that other people noticed this but didn't think it noteworthy enough to write it down, including the other three gospel authors, seems very unlikely to me. That's pretending there's any reason to think it's even possible such a thing could happen, which there isn't.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
17-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Robvalue Wrote:Well, because this kind of stuff doesn't happen. It's obviously made up.
I agree, it doesn't happen as far as I know. But I can not say that it can not happen.

Robvalue Wrote:The idea that other people noticed this but didn't think it noteworthy enough to write it down, including the other three gospel authors, seems very unlikely to me.
May be they did notice. May be they did write about it. Why would I have to assume they didn't notice, they didn't write?

17-02-2017, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2017 03:07 PM by Robvalue.)
Sure, maybe they did. I'm not sure what we're even discussing any more. Hypotheticals can be contructed for anything. I don't ever mean to make statements of certainty, I simply use shorthand.

In my experience, the more important or unusual an event is, the more chance that documents relating to that event are going to be kept around. This is such an incredibly unusual event, that it seems bizarre that all other records of it have been lost.

Of course, "Matthew" (who was not Matthew, but some unknown author) just cribbed the whole gospel story off of Mark, as did Luke, while adding his own fabrications to it. Matthew is especially bad for this, as shown by this example, and some other corkers by which he makes it so obvious he is trying to write Jesus as "The Messiah". And, of course, there's no evidence that these authors were even alive when any of these events happened, so it's all most likely hearsay.

17-02-2017, 03:09 PM
(17-02-2017 01:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  STEVIL, I answered your questions in post #146
Thanks alot for providing your answers to my questions.

I have similar experiences to you, but I don't pray to gods and don't ascribe my answers as having come from god.

My view of you and your situation is that the answers are coming from you. Those thoughts are yours. I like that you also attempt to verify your own thoughts via other sources e.g. books or other people. I do this also. One thing to watch out for though, is confirmation bias. We are often wanting to prove ourselves right rather than prove ourselves wrong so we tend to believe things that align with our own thoughts. But I expect you already know this. I would like to tell you that you ought to give yourself more credit for coming up with the answers, rather than give god the credit. But I understand that from your perspective you believe the thoughts came from god. So I guess rather than pushing my view onto you, I ought to say well done to either you or god for coming up with the thoughts (answers) and well done to you for seeking to verify via other sources (witnesses).

With regards to the coincidence stuff, I also experience that, sometimes it is so specific or so seemingly unlikely that it makes me smile but I never ascribe it to an outside guardian angel (so to speak), but I can understand why many people do.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
17-02-2017, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2017 03:29 PM by Robvalue.)
I apportion my belief to the evidence. One anecdote, from a guy well-known to make shit up, copying a story from another guy, of events not even known to be possible, is about the worst form of evidence that could ever be presented.