Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(20-02-2017 08:43 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I assume you are talking metaphorically. Otherwise, I don't see how faith (belief without evidence) can move anything, let alone a mountain.

I'm not asking you to force your will upon God. I'm just asking you to ask him a question. My point is that (in my opinion) if you ask him something you don't already know, he won't be able to tell you.

I asked God to tell you my number. He seems fine with it, he will tell you today. It's hardly anything personal. I know you're convinced, but this would be a way of convincing me that you're talking to someone other than yourself. It would seem to be a lot less effort to type 4 digits than to write pages of reasons why you can't/won't write 4 digits.

But if you don't want to, that is fine.

I'm not sure faith in this sense refers to belief without evidence. When Protestants say "faith alone", they're referring to trust or belief alone. Faith in this sense refers to spiritual rebirth I think.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2017, 07:01 AM
I see. Well, that also doesn't move anything.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2017, 09:41 AM
(21-02-2017 07:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I see. Well, that also doesn't move anything.

If only it did though. By the way, I'll have the video response to you today.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
21-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Robvalue Wrote:I assume you are talking metaphorically. Otherwise, I don't see how faith (belief without evidence) can move anything, let alone a mountain.
Actually not. I was telling that faith can move the mountain literally. I BELIEVE that it is possible. I know it sounds crazy. Let me explain. I believe that if for a very, very important reason I HAVE to move the mountain (and of course I can not do this by myself) and I ask God having strong faith He will help me, He will move the mountain.
In this case I can use an expression: "my faith moved the mountain".
So, God teaches that if we have faith we can do things that seem impossible to do.

Robvalue Wrote:My point is that (in my opinion) if you ask him something you don't already know, he won't be able to tell you.
I understood your point form the moment you asked me.

Robvalue Wrote:I asked God to tell you my number. He seems fine with it, he will tell you today.
We both know it is not true. If it was true you would tell me:"Alla, never mind the number. I am convinced. God talked to me."

Robvalue Wrote:But if you don't want to, that is fine.
To be very, very honest I want to convince you. But who cares what I want? It is not my call to convince people to believe in God.
God didn't tell me:"Alla, go to atheist sites and convince for Me a bunch of atheists."

But I have some questions for you. May I ask?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
21-02-2017, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2017 10:12 AM by Robvalue.)
Well, the idea that God can move a mountain isn't even slightly surprising if we assume God is real. The idea that belief alone can do anything is, however, ridiculous.

Sure, ask me whatever you like.

By the way, I couldn't care less whether or not there is/was an intelligent creator. I just find the idea that people think that it is communicating with them fascinating.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
21-02-2017, 10:11 AM
(20-02-2017 02:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 02:35 PM)Alla Wrote:  For example,
the third principle of the Gospel: unless a man/a woman is born of the water and of the spirit he/she can not enter kingdom of God.
Wow, can NOT enter kingdom of God?!
If you don't believe in Christ you don't believe in these words. If you don't believe in these words you can not enter kingdom of God which means you can not BECOME like Christ - exalted God.

"I assure you: Unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." By my read that just means clean your soul. Dirty souls are like mud on the lens of a flashlight concealing heaven. Nothing particularly novel about that. #3 of the 4 noble truths - Nirodha.

If you believe that your interpretation is true then may be you are right there is nothing new here.
But I want to ask you: how do you know that this is what Jesus was saying? How do you know that symbol "to be born of water" and symbol "to be born of Spirit" means what you say it means?
If you are wrong then you should say: "OK, it could be something nobody else taught before". ( I am talking about teachers you mentioned).

21-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Robvalue Wrote:The idea that belief alone can do anything is, however, ridiculous.
I agree.
Belief along can do absolutely nothing. Belief alone is useless and worthless thing.

21-02-2017, 10:18 AM
TO ROBVALUE.

Let's assume the number is 1234.
what would be your first reaction, thoughts?
Would the first thing be:" I am convinced! I am convinced! God is real!"
Or would it be something else?

21-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Robvalue Wrote:By the way, I couldn't care less whether or not there is/was an intelligent creator.
Interesting. Why not? I am asking out of curiosity.

Robvalue Wrote:I just find the idea that people think that it is communicating with them fascinating.
Oh, ok.

21-02-2017, 10:35 AM
(21-02-2017 10:18 AM)Alla Wrote:  TO ROBVALUE.

Let's assume the number is 1234.
what would be your first reaction, thoughts?
Would the first thing be:" I am convinced! I am convinced! God is real!"
Or would it be something else?

What, if you got it right? I'd be surprised. I'd want to repeat the test. If it continued to show correct results, I'd try to investigate how it could possibly be happening. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about how exactly you were receiving the information from me. But it would be good evidence that you're not merely talking to yourself.

I don't care about a creator because it makes no practical difference. If it wanted to communicate with me sensibly, I'd be more than happy to. But since it doesn't seem interested, that is that. I've no interest in worshiping anything, or joining any religions. I think for myself about everything.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post