Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 03:56 PM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(21-02-2017 02:15 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Have you ever considered being less aggressive. You come of as just really angry and mean-spirited.

Thank you, but Bucky Ball is fine.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Robvalue Wrote:-Why would I do what? Why would I create a son and then place him nowhere near me? Or why would I not communicate with him?
Why would you place him nowhere near you and would erase all memory about yourself? Lets' symbolically call it "veil". Why would you place "veil" between yourself and your child?
Please, try to come up with something reasonable. I know you can.
Robvalue Wrote:-Yeah, whatever reality God lives in. I'm just using God to mean "intelligent creator". I'm attaching none of the religious baggage. If it's a computer programmer for example, I'd be interested what it's like outside this simulation.
I think this would be a great question to ask. You would want to know true nature of God ( of course, we just pretend you are standing before God).
Only this? Nothing else? Would you ask Him, for example, why He created all of this, or about who you are, or is this true that HE has problem with homosexualists? if yes, what's is His problem with them? Or is this true that He has to be worshiped? if yes, why? Would you want to ask Him this.
All I want is to know your answers. Nothing else.
Robvalue Wrote:-Heaven for me is a place where everyone can do whatever they want all the time, without anyone ever being hurt by what anyone else does. Everyone can engineer their own experiences, however they went them to be, for as long as they want to. I'd spend time enjoying the company of others some of the time, and be off in my own created fantasy lands the rest of the time. There is no pain, sadness, or anything negative. There is only joy, which never gets boring. Being able to wipe one's memory of all experiences since being in "heaven" is a nifty feature, so that all the joy can be experienced anew.
Thanks for your answer. So, tell me what particular would you want or like to do for whole eternity? Give me some examples. Again, I am asking out of curiosity?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
21-02-2017, 04:39 PM
(21-02-2017 03:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 02:15 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Have you ever considered being less aggressive. You come of as just really angry and mean-spirited.

Thank you, but Bucky Ball is fine.

I disagree.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
21-02-2017, 04:43 PM
(21-02-2017 02:15 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 01:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No

1. Judgment Day is an ancient mythological concept for children. We follow our consciences NOW, to the best of our ability. Your question presumes a belief in a god would make us act differently. It would not. We live our best lives now. Nothing would change if your undefined entity (god) existed. Nothing.
2. I could care less. There is no coherent definition of the word "god". See #1
3. Heaven is a childish non-biblical invention of human culture, which unfortunately for you, you failed to jettison along with Santa and The Bunny. You are to be pitied.

Have you ever considered being less aggressive. You come of as just really angry and mean-spirited.

That's just his crusty exterior. Inside, there's a heart of gold.

Laugh out load
22-02-2017, 12:15 AM
(21-02-2017 04:39 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 03:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  Thank you, but Bucky Ball is fine.

I disagree.

SAD!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-02-2017, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 01:48 AM by Robvalue.)
(21-02-2017 04:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:-Why would I do what? Why would I create a son and then place him nowhere near me? Or why would I not communicate with him?
Why would you place him nowhere near you and would erase all memory about yourself? Lets' symbolically call it "veil". Why would you place "veil" between yourself and your child?
Please, try to come up with something reasonable. I know you can.

There are several motivations I can think of:

1) I am ashamed of myself, and don't want my son to know about me.
2) I want my son to succeed on his own, without my help.
3) I feel I'll be a terrible father.
4) I'm interested to see if he will try and track me down or not.
5) I am being forced to do this by someone who has leverage over me.

Quote:
Robvalue Wrote:[quote]-Yeah, whatever reality God lives in. I'm just using God to mean "intelligent creator". I'm attaching none of the religious baggage. If it's a computer programmer for example, I'd be interested what it's like outside this simulation.
I think this would be a great question to ask. You would want to know true nature of God ( of course, we just pretend you are standing before God).
Only this? Nothing else? Would you ask Him, for example, why He created all of this, or about who you are, or is this true that HE has problem with homosexualists? if yes, what's is His problem with them? Or is this true that He has to be worshiped? if yes, why? Would you want to ask Him this.
All I want is to know your answers. Nothing else.

I wouldn't for a second assume he has a problem with homosexuals. I also wouldn't expect that he'd want to be worshipped. These are religious fantasies. I'm assuming nothing about this creator, other than he created all this. I'm not assuming he even knew how things were going to turn out, or that humans would ever exist. All the evidence points to initial conditions and rules "being set" (or just coming about somehow), and then no intervention after that.

I would actually be interested in whether he had any idea that we are self aware.

Why create this reality in the first place? Is it an experiment? Was it for fun? Did it turn out anything like you expected? How many other realities have been made, and are they anything like ours? Did you learn anything from our reality? How does our reality appear, to you? Do you think your reality is the "master", or was yours also created?

Quote:
Robvalue Wrote:-Heaven for me is a place where everyone can do whatever they want all the time, without anyone ever being hurt by what anyone else does. Everyone can engineer their own experiences, however they went them to be, for as long as they want to. I'd spend time enjoying the company of others some of the time, and be off in my own created fantasy lands the rest of the time. There is no pain, sadness, or anything negative. There is only joy, which never gets boring. Being able to wipe one's memory of all experiences since being in "heaven" is a nifty feature, so that all the joy can be experienced anew.
Thanks for your answer. So, tell me what particular would you want or like to do for whole eternity? Give me some examples. Again, I am asking out of curiosity?

No problem Smile

I wouldn't be doing the same things over and over, although after wiping my memory I may well repeat things!

Some examples I often think about:

1) Creating a virtual reality game, based on my mind, to be the best game I could ever enjoy playing. It would have infinite, ever expanding scope. It would bring together all aspects of gaming that I love, and make it all totally "real".

2) Experience what it's like to be "the best" at something. I'm a snooker player who can't miss. I'm a MMA fighter who can't be hurt. I'm a Street Fighter player who employs tech no one has ever even seen before. It fools me into thinking it's all real for the duration of the experience. I am pathetic, yes Tongue

3) All sorts of sexual scenarios...

4) Just doing crazy stuff, roller skating through space while eating pizza. Whatever I decide on a whim I want to happen, happens.

I wouldn't have to worry about anyone anymore, because there would be no suffering.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
22-02-2017, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 08:07 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-02-2017 02:15 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 01:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No

1. Judgment Day is an ancient mythological concept for children. We follow our consciences NOW, to the best of our ability. Your question presumes a belief in a god would make us act differently. It would not. We live our best lives now. Nothing would change if your undefined entity (god) existed. Nothing.
2. I could care less. There is no coherent definition of the word "god". See #1
3. Heaven is a childish non-biblical invention of human culture, which unfortunately for you, you failed to jettison along with Santa and The Bunny. You are to be pitied.

Have you ever considered being less aggressive. You come of as just really angry and mean-spirited.

No. Just direct. Alla has been here spewing her crap for months to years. It's ignorant and incoherent. She actually thinks she is an expert on the debunked garbage (Moronism) she spews. It's a waste of time.
Most of what I post here is
1. boring, long, and academic,
2. sass / humor.

People like you and Alla who preach at us, get "direct" as that what you deserve.
She (and you) couldn't raise "anger" in me if you tried. Just pity. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-02-2017, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 07:48 AM by GirlyMan.)
(21-02-2017 10:11 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 02:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "I assure you: Unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." By my read that just means clean your soul. Dirty souls are like mud on the lens of a flashlight concealing heaven. Nothing particularly novel about that. #3 of the 4 noble truths - Nirodha.

But I want to ask you: how do you know that this is what Jesus was saying? How do you know that symbol "to be born of water" and symbol "to be born of Spirit" means what you say it means?

I don't. Just makes the most sense to me. That is why I said it is "my read" on it. "My read" on many scriptures springs from "Okay, let's assume they're not talking about supernatural shit, then what could this be trying to say in practical terms?"

(21-02-2017 10:11 AM)Alla Wrote:  If you are wrong then you should say: "OK, it could be something nobody else taught before". ( I am talking about teachers you mentioned).

Why should I start from that position? If someone is looking for a dissertation topic the burden is on them to explain to the committee why their work is novel. My starting position is "There's nothing new under the sun."

#sigh
22-02-2017, 07:50 AM
(21-02-2017 10:46 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:What, if you got it right? I'd be surprised. I'd want to repeat the test. If it continued to show correct results, I'd try to investigate how it could possibly be happening. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about how exactly you were receiving the information from me. But it would be good evidence that you're not merely talking to yourself.
Of course.
Then who would you think I was talking to?

Interpol or MI6 in Rob's case.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-02-2017, 08:03 AM
I want to play.

(21-02-2017 10:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  1)Let's assume God never communicated with you in this life. Let's say on Judgment Day you stand before HIM/HER/IT. What would you wanted to tell HIM/HER/IT? May be any questions?

(21-02-2017 10:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  2)How do you think God would judge you?

(21-02-2017 10:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  3)Have you ever tried to imagine what heaven is like?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post