Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2017, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 02:47 PM by Robvalue.)
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(22-02-2017 11:54 AM)Alla Wrote:  Thank you!!

1)So, we pretend that you are Creator(Male). We even pretend that you are a parent - father.
Of course, we pretend that you are very good father because you want your son to succeed. But what does it mean - to succeed? To succeed in what?
and the most important question in my view is this:
why?
why? why? why? someone should succeed?

I agree, it doesn't mean anything out of context. It could mean many things. It could mean succeed by criteria I have decided on as a father, or it could mean the son setting their own goals. Or it could be whether the society he is in sees him as a success.

Personally, I would go with something along the lines of embracing life, making the best of the hand you are dealt, and hopefully trying to make other peoples' lives better.

I'm not sure what you mean by "why". From whose point of view? Do you mean what is their motivation to succeed? Why does it matter? Objectively, nothing matters, so it can only be answered subjectively. All I could say is that it would be a shame for them not to make the most of life.

Quote:2) I'm interested to see if he will try and track me down or not.
Why would you want to know this? Is there any reason for that?
And wait, are you telling me that you don't know future events with certainty? If yes, why? Do you(creator and father) know anything with certainty? If yes, what do you say it would be?

I don't know why I'd want to know this. It seems pretty messed up. I imagine it would point to some serious issues on my part, or viewing our relationship as a game. The only positive spin I could put on this would be to give my son a choice as to whether they wanted me in their life. But if I've created a reality and then stuck my "son" in it, this all seems extremely weird. I don't know why I'd do that. I don't know if that even makes sense. Have I transferred my son into this created reality somehow? Or did I create him there? I'm not sure what you have in mind here.

It depends what I created. I may or may not know the future events within it with certainty. I'd imagine it would be pretty boring and pointless to create something that I already know all the outcomes of. If I've just made a show for myself, including the future of my son, then that is some crazy shit.

Quote:5) I am being forced to do this by someone who has leverage over me
who or may be what could it be?

Don't know! If I'm in the business of creating realities, maybe I broke some code of ethics previously when making one and someone found out. Maybe it's something I did in my own reality.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Robvalue Wrote:Personally, I would go with something along the lines of embracing life, making the best of the hand you are dealt, and hopefully trying to make other peoples' lives better.
I like that.

Robvalue Wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "why". From whose point of view? Do you mean what is their motivation to succeed? Why does it matter? Objectively, nothing matters, so it can only be answered subjectively. All I could say is that it would be a shame for them not to make the most of life.
If you sent your son because you want him to succeed then why do YOU want him to succeed? what would be the reason for that?
P.S. I know why I want to succeed. I know why a good parent wants his/her child to succeed. How about you? Do you know the reason?
Robvalue Wrote:I don't know why I'd want to know this. It seems pretty messed up. I imagine it would point to some serious issues on my part, or viewing our relationship as a game.[/quote
I agree. It is kind of ridiculous for a parent to send his son far away, to erase memory about himself for a reason like to be interested if a child will try to track you down. It doesn't even make sense.
But what if I took words "I would be interested" and combined them with this: "I would want my son to succeed and I would be interested to see if he does."
Does it make sense?
[quote="Robvalue"] Have I transferred my son into this created reality somehow? Or did I create him there? I'm not sure what you have in mind here.
Um, you choose and then I will ask you a question, or questions.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
22-02-2017, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 06:18 PM by Alla.)
Robvalue Wrote:Why create this reality in the first place? Is it an experiment? Was it for fun? Did it turn out anything like you expected?

1)Are you asking me? If yes, I don't know because we assume that you are the Creator. It is your creation not mine.
2)Oh, one more thing, , what would you use to create your reality(whatever it is according to you)?
Robvalue Wrote:How many other realities have been made, and are they anything like ours?
Good question. What do you think? And when you say "reality" what do you have in mind? a galaxy? or something else?
Robvalue Wrote:I wouldn't be doing the same things over and over, although after wiping my memory I may well repeat things!

Some examples I often think about:

1) Creating a virtual reality game, based on my mind, to be the best game I could ever enjoy playing. It would have infinite, ever expanding scope. It would bring together all aspects of gaming that I love, and make it all totally "real".

2) Experience what it's like to be "the best" at something. I'm a snooker player who can't miss. I'm a MMA fighter who can't be hurt. I'm a Street Fighter player who employs tech no one has ever even seen before. It fools me into thinking it's all real for the duration of the experience. I am pathetic, yes

3) All sorts of sexual scenarios...

4) Just doing crazy stuff, roller skating through space while eating pizza. Whatever I decide on a whim I want to happen, happens.

I wouldn't have to worry about anyone anymore, because there would be no suffering.
This sounds heavenly Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
22-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Thanks for your replies Smile I'm enjoying our conversation!

-I would want my son to succeed because that will probably make him happy, and I want him to make a positive impact on people.

-Okay well, let's keep it simple and say I dump my son off somewhere, then I go into hiding. The other scenarios, although more suited to theism, feel too strange to discuss with this analogy Tongue

-My questions were for any potential creator! I was brainstorming Smile

-By "reality", I mean some self-contained place where things can exist. So what people commonly refer to as "the universe", I prefer to call "our reality". It then doesn't preclude there being other "places", distinct from ours, which may exist in parallel, or in a nested fashion. (By that I mean something in one reality "creates" another reality.) Since people so commonly refer to "God creating our universe", they have already tied themselves up in knots. Using that language, God cannot have done so, because God would also be creating himself.

-Are there other independent realities? I really have no idea. If I was forced to take a guess, I'd say yes. I have no idea whether this, or any other one, were created on purpose or whether they just "came about".

-Lol glad you like it Big Grin It's the only "afterlife" I'd ever want. Other than that, I'd rather disappear into nothingness rather than exist for eternity.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 10:29 AM by Alla.)
Robvalue Wrote:Thanks for your replies. I'm enjoying our conversation!
Thanks, me too. Let me know when you don't want to do this any more.
Robvalue Wrote:-I would want my son to succeed because that will probably make him happy, and I want him to make a positive impact on people.
So, you would want him to succeed because you would want him to have joy/happiness in his life. By making positive impact on others he probably would make others happy.
Would it make you(God) happy? Would it bring you(God) joy and happiness?
Is this all about having joy/happiness? Is Your reality and your son's reality all about having joy in life? Is my conclusion true or false? Let me know.

Robvalue Wrote:Since people so commonly refer to "God creating our universe", they have already tied themselves up in knots. Using that language, God cannot have done so, because God would also be creating himself.
It depends on how they define word "universe". If universe is absolutely all infinite space and absolutely everything that is in it then I would agree with you.
But if "universe" is only a tiny fraction of infinite space can we make this conclusion?
Robvalue Wrote:-Are there other independent realities? I really have no idea. If I was forced to take a guess, I'd say yes. I have no idea whether this, or any other one, were created on purpose or whether they just "came about".
Interesting. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.
Robvalue Wrote:-Lol glad you like it. It's the only "afterlife" I'd ever want. Other than that, I'd rather disappear into nothingness rather than exist for eternity.
Oh, I totally believe you. Would you include your family(people you love and care about) in this joyful life?

Ok, you send your son far away and make him to forget about who you(God/parent) are, about place he came from, about who he(son) was, about the reason why he had to be far far away. And the reason for that according to you that you would want him to succeed without your help. He is totally on his own.
Now I want to make a little change. Let's say that you(God) have more than one child. You sent them away. They completely forgot about your existence. They have no idea how their reality happened to be. Or how life happened to be.
So, let's say one child had a good life, achieved many things, had family. He was very smart, invented things that could make his life and life of others easier and happier. It was HIS idea of success.
Second child also had good life. He had family, but HIS idea of success is to be powerful even if it is necessary to murder millions of people.
Third child had brain injury, he couldn't even comprehend many things. He wasn't even capable to think about success.
Fourth child lived very primitive life. He had no capacity to invent things as the first child could. Not his fault he was created this way. HIS idea of success was to be able to provide food for himself every day. Or to scalp as many strangers as possible.
Fifth child was killed or died at early age. So didn't succeed in anything
Now it is time for them to come back home to You(God). You know what they did with their lives. Some didn't even have a chance to achieve anything. What's next?

23-02-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 10:39 AM by Alla.)
TO ROBVALUE
One more thing.
You told your children that you will send them far away because you want them to succeed. Would you even bother to ask them if this is what they want? If yes, would you let them to choose to go away or would you tell them that they have no choice?