Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2017, 07:04 AM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
(12-02-2017 11:00 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yo dipshit! Exploring the logical and rational conclusions of the bullshit you spew is not making a strawman, it's simply giving your shit more thought and attention than you evidently do. Now would you kindly go fuck yourself?

No brotherman, suggesting that I claimed that I can tell 100% of the time when someone is literal or not, can tell 100% of the time someone is a poe, and then arguing against this is, as if I suggested this, is the strawman

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2017, 11:07 AM
phoenix31 Wrote:What do theistic evolutionists believe about original sin?
What is original sin?
phoenix31 Wrote:Creationists say the Christian God could not have included "death and ghastliness" as part of his creative process. What do theistic evolutionists say about that?
They ask:
1)who says?
2)why couldn't He?
phoenix31 Wrote:What do they make of Romans 7 where the Bible talks about the world being ensnared because of Adam's fall?
could you, please, give me the verse/verses?
phoenix31 Wrote:How do they determine which parts of the Bible are considered myth and which aren't?
By asking God and by receiving answers(revelations) from Him. I don't think it can be any other way.
phoenix31 Wrote:Thanks.
you are welcome

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
13-02-2017, 10:16 PM
(13-02-2017 11:07 AM)Alla Wrote:  
phoenix31 Wrote:How do they determine which parts of the Bible are considered myth and which aren't?
By asking God and by receiving answers(revelations) from Him. I don't think it can be any other way.

I totally do this for the Bhagavad Gita. It's the only way to understand it.

Seriously... have you tried reading that thing?

It's almost, but not quite, as bizarre as the Book of Mormon. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-02-2017, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 12:49 AM by Robvalue.)
The problem with receiving answers from God is that people get all different answers. Christians can't even agree on whether the very first book of the bible is literal or not.

Why is that?

And what about Muslims? Are they just totally deluded and not receiving answers from God at all? If they are, wouldn't God open with, "You're in the wrong religion mate".

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2017, 12:51 AM
(14-02-2017 12:42 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The problem with receiving answers from God is that people get all different answers. Christians can't even agree on whether the very first book of the bible is literal or not.

Why is that?

And what about Muslims? Are they just totally deluded and not receiving answers from God at all? If they are, wouldn't God open with, "You're in the wrong religion mate".

Ever notice how someone's god always hates the same people they do? Funny thing that... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-02-2017, 01:16 AM
(13-02-2017 11:07 AM)Alla Wrote:  
phoenix31 Wrote:What do theistic evolutionists believe about original sin?
What is original sin?
phoenix31 Wrote:Creationists say the Christian God could not have included "death and ghastliness" as part of his creative process. What do theistic evolutionists say about that?
They ask:
1)who says?
2)why couldn't He?
phoenix31 Wrote:What do they make of Romans 7 where the Bible talks about the world being ensnared because of Adam's fall?
could you, please, give me the verse/verses?
phoenix31 Wrote:Thanks.
you are welcome

Asking God for answers is a pointless exercise. Even if you were to receive an answer in the form of actual spoken word, you wouldn't avoid the problems of Skepticism. Revelational epistemology seems like it was designed just for skeptics to attack.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
14-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Robvalue Wrote:The problem with receiving answers from God is that people get all different answers.
1) are you talking about different answers to different questions? or different answers to the same questions?
2) how do you know that people get different answers from God?
Robvalue Wrote:Christians can't even agree on whether the very first book of the bible is literal or not.
So? Who cares?
Robvalue Wrote:And what about Muslims? Are they just totally deluded and not receiving answers from God at all?
Not at all. God answers to all who ask Him with real intent and sincere heart. God speaks to His children regardless their believes or opinions about Him.

Robvalue Wrote:If they are, wouldn't God open with, "You're in the wrong religion mate".
If Muslim asks with real intent and sincere heart: "is my religion true?" I believe He would receive an answer "you are in the wrong religion, mate"

14-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Naielis Wrote:Asking God for answers is a pointless exercise.
If you speak about personal experience I can not refute this.
Naielis Wrote:Even if you were to receive an answer in the form of actual spoken word, you wouldn't avoid the problems of Skepticism.
I agree. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Naielis Wrote:Revelational epistemology seems like it was designed just for skeptics to attack.
I can agree with that. And it is fine.

14-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Quote:God answers to all who ask Him with real intent and sincere heart.

There is always that condition attached.
If your prayers aren't answered it's your own fault for not being a True Believer. Rolleyes
A slick way to avoid admitting that prayer doesn't work.

[Image: T8khlpL.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
14-02-2017, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 03:03 PM by mordant.)
(14-02-2017 12:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  2) how do you know that people get different answers from God?
Well now.

Let's see.

One might ... look up any question on the Internet and find 10 religious people giving 10 different answers.

One might ... look up on the Internet people who claim to be Christians who claim that they asked god about his will in a particular matter and get back answers that are completely different from others asking the same questions.

Just last night I saw an episode of, I believe, Investigation Discovery in which they re-enacted the story of a father and son duo who were arrested for torturing and partly skinning alive, a member of their sect who exhibited "weak faith" / "doubt", because god had told them via a weird hybrid of prayer and kinesiology that this person had doubts and should be tortured and killed as punishment.

I know for a fact that you would never do such a thing, in fact, I seriously doubt you would do such a thing even if you believed god himself had so instructed you. But clearly, here's a guy who not only got a very different answer from other Christians, but acted on it with gusto. He also believed that Jews, Blacks, and other "foreigners" were not god's chosen people and were diluting god's chosen breeding stock, etc.

Of course what most Christians do is just disavow this as an obvious aberration, and blame it on mental illness rather than religious faith. And there's some legitimacy to that (although one can legitimately question whether religious faith didn't make this guy's mental illness worse rather than better). But in the funhouse hall of mirrors that is Christianity, very often, Christians get very weird answers to prayer or believe unusual doctrines and then other Christians just say that because the answers were sufficiently weird or the beliefs sufficiently different, they are not True Christians™. Beyond a very limited point, this becomes circular reasoning and a very duplicitous evasion of the obvious epistemological problem here.

Which is:

How does Christian X know they are hearing from god, and not their own mind? How do they know they are hearing from their god, and not some other, or from Satan, or an angel or a demon? How do they know they are hearing and applying correctly?

The answer, sadly, is, there's no way to tell. There is no objective way to know whether you are hearing the "still, small voice" of god or simply engaging in mental masturbation.

Also, with respect to answered prayer, in my rather extensive experience, it is indistinguishable from random happenstance. If you get what appears to be answer to something you want, then glory to god. If you didn't, then god said no, or not right now, or you're not worthy, or don't have enough faith, or you ask amiss, that you may consume it upon your lusts.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post