Theistic Evolution Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2017, 03:56 PM
RE: Theistic Evolution Questions
pablo Wrote:There is always that condition attached.
It makes sense. If you don't have real intent and sincere heart you don't care about the answer.
pablo Wrote:If your prayers aren't answered it's your own fault for not being a True Believer.
I don't know what book you quote. Where is this revelation written?

P.S. God answered every question I asked Him so far. I can speak only for myself.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2017, 04:06 PM
mordant Wrote:One might ... look up any question on the Internet and find 10 religious people giving 10 different answers.

One might ... look up on the Internet people who claim to be Christians who claim that they asked god about his will in a particular matter and get back answers that are completely different from others asking the same questions.
mordant, you didn't answer my question: how do you know they get different answers from God?
did you witness yourself them receiving answers from God?
or you just telling me that they claim that God gave them answers?
mordant Wrote:How does Christian X know they are hearing from god, and not their own mind?
Who cares? Better question is " how do I know I am hearing from God?"
mordant Wrote:How do they know they are hearing from their god, and not some other, or from Satan, or an angel or a demon?
It doesn't matter. "How do I know?" is the right question to ask.
mordant Wrote:How do they know they are hearing and applying correctly?
The same here. Who cares? It doesn't matter.

14-02-2017, 04:07 PM
(13-02-2017 10:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's almost, but not quite, as bizarre as the Book of Mormon. Laugh out load
Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
14-02-2017, 05:58 PM
(14-02-2017 04:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:One might ... look up any question on the Internet and find 10 religious people giving 10 different answers.

One might ... look up on the Internet people who claim to be Christians who claim that they asked god about his will in a particular matter and get back answers that are completely different from others asking the same questions.
mordant, you didn't answer my question: how do you know they get different answers from God?
You know because they claim different answers as I pointed out above.

If you're just going to commit reductio ad absurdum and say that the explanation for all differing truth claims is that all but one of them (generally, conveniently enough, yours) are wrong, then what you are saying is that (with the possible exception of you) all truth claims are personal and subjective and unverifiable. I actually agree with you on this, but I'm not sure you really want to go there, do you?
(14-02-2017 04:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  did you witness yourself them receiving answers from God?
or you just telling me that they claim that God gave them answers?
Have YOU personally "witnessed" anyone receiving answers from God? How is that even a falsifiable hypothesis? What does it "look like" when someone receives actual answers? How does that compare to when someone just claims to receive them?
mordant Wrote:How does Christian X know they are hearing from god, and not their own mind?
Who cares? Better question is " how do I know I am hearing from God?"
Well ... fine. Make yourself Christian X. How do YOU know you are hearing from God? And how do you substantiate that to anyone else?
mordant Wrote:How do they know they are hearing from their god, and not some other, or from Satan, or an angel or a demon?
It doesn't matter. "How do I know?" is the right question to ask.
Fine. Then how do YOU know? And is it even possible for anyone other than you to know that you are actually hearing from god? Or do they just have to trust your claim that you do? Such as the claim you made earlier today that god has always answered you 100% of the questions you have asked him?
mordant Wrote:How do they know they are hearing and applying correctly?
The same here. Who cares? It doesn't matter.
It actually matters a great deal, because otherwise there is NO way to substantiate ANYONE's truth claims in this matter.
14-02-2017, 06:18 PM
(14-02-2017 03:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  
It makes sense. If you don't have real intent and sincere heart you don't care about the answer.
pablo Wrote:If your prayers aren't answered it's your own fault for not being a True Believer.

P.S. God answered every question I asked Him so far. I can speak only for myself.

It does not make sense. Your wishes being granted are about as statistically probable as a coin toss. No matter how sincerely you want it to be heads, it doesn't affect the outcome.

I wasn't quoting a book. Why does this have to be written in a book of myths for you to consider it?

As far as god answering every question you ever asked so far, you may or may not believe that, but I surely do not.
14-02-2017, 07:46 PM
pablo Wrote:It does not make sense. Your wishes being granted are about as statistically probable as a coin toss. No matter how sincerely you want it to be heads, it doesn't affect the outcome.
are you talking about your personal experience? about your personal relationship with God? or you just saying this?

Pablo Wrote:I wasn't quoting a book. Why does this have to be written in a book of myths for you to consider it?
I just wanted to know where you got this claim from. If this your own claim you can just say it.
Pablo Wrote:As far as god answering every question you ever asked so far, you may or may not believe that, but I surely do not.
ok, I was not asking you to believe me. Honestly.

14-02-2017, 08:02 PM
mordant Wrote:You know because they claim different answers as I pointed out above.
I know what they claim but I don't know if they even asked God. They can lie.
So, if we assume that there is God and there are people who claim that they receive answers from Him there is only one option to try to find out if they say the truth.
We can't believe any claim from any person. right?

mordant Wrote:Well ... fine. Make yourself Christian X. How do YOU know you are hearing from God? And how do you substantiate that to anyone else?
You don't have to ask me. I may lie to you. right?
You have to ask yourself : how can I know?
mordant Wrote:It actually matters a great deal, because otherwise there is NO way to substantiate ANYONE's truth claims in this matter.
It doesn't matter what I or others say. I may lie to you. They may lie to you.
I can tell you that God appeared to me and gave me revelations you still will not know if my claim is true.
There are claims in the Bible that God appeared to some and talked to them. They wrote books. It doesn't matter. You still don't know if those claims are true.

14-02-2017, 08:40 PM
(14-02-2017 07:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  
pablo Wrote:It does not make sense. Your wishes being granted are about as statistically probable as a coin toss. No matter how sincerely you want it to be heads, it doesn't affect the outcome.
are you talking about your personal experience? about your personal relationship with God? or you just saying this?

Pablo Wrote:I wasn't quoting a book. Why does this have to be written in a book of myths for you to consider it?
I just wanted to know where you got this claim from. If this your own claim you can just say it.
Pablo Wrote:As far as god answering every question you ever asked so far, you may or may not believe that, but I surely do not.
ok, I was not asking you to believe me. Honestly.

I was talking about my personal experience with facts.
It was my own claim and I never implied otherwise, it was you that assumed I was quoting something.
The reason I'm not inclined to believe your claims is because people have been known to lie about their gods to make them seem more credible.
No evidence has ever been shown to back it up. None.
14-02-2017, 08:48 PM
(14-02-2017 08:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  I was talking about my personal experience with facts.
thank you for sharing.
(14-02-2017 08:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  The reason I'm not inclined to believe your claims is because people have been known to lie about their gods to make them seem more credible.
No evidence has ever been shown to back it up. None.
makes sense to me.

14-02-2017, 10:26 PM
(14-02-2017 03:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  

Bullshit. Do you mean to tell me that there are zero devout Theists working on a cure for cancer who sincerely pray every night for the breakthrough they need to save millions of lives?

Really? You're that oblivious?

I mean, at this point, I'm not really surprised. But it's informative for all the new people here who have't experienced your staggering inanity before.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post