Theistic Inclinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Theistic Inclinations
Hello all,

I would like to inform all that I have theistic inclinations. When I apply rationalism, I am clearly an atheist. When I let go of rationalism and let my emotions run, I feel lightened up with thoughts about god.

Regardless whether god exists or not, it is good to live with imagination at times. These times, my imagination includes god.

Deliberate rationality leaves me depressed and feeling empty. Ideally, I'll limit use rationality to only times when I am handling scientific issues, addressing humanitarian issues and dealing with the reality.

I hope that this can spark a good discussion,

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2017, 04:49 AM
RE: Theistic Inclinations
An interesting position, you seem to be saying that you do not know whether or not god exists, but the thought of it at times leaves you warm and fuzzy?

What is the concept you have of god, and do you follow any particular religion?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
23-02-2017, 05:08 AM
(23-02-2017 04:49 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  An interesting position, you seem to be saying that you do not know whether or not god exists, but the thought of it at times leaves you warm and fuzzy?

What is the concept you have of god, and do you follow any particular religion?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Yes, the thought of God at times leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy.

I do not follow any particular religion. However, my concept of God is very much oriented around taking a path of righteousness throughout my life. I feel good and blessed when I do good things. I feel punished when I do bad things. I cannot see God and do not have evidence to prove that God exists.

To me, God exists because I feel, imagine and think about God. To me, God may care if I pray or profess faith in God. However, God is happier if I do practical, righteous and sensible things at all times in real life. God is happier if I avoid hurting anything from humans to animals, down to the smallest ants that come in my way on streets. I just try to wave my hand to ward off insects rather than squatting them. God is happy if I improve myself, ethics and code of conduct, and learn from my past mistakes not to repeat.

At times, I think about God as an ancient human, who has already established a heaven. That heaven exists independently of the physical universe and operates by means of super-advanced technology and infrastructure defying gravity, time and so on. I think about the angels as ancient human astronauts that fly on starships and may literally have wings. I think about them as immortals as their immortality is enabled by their spiritual mastery. My idea of spiritual mastery is the ability to voluntarily control one's own body, forces and energy within.

My beliefs may be polytheistic. At times, I think that there are many gods. Some gods are actually evil and dangerous. Other gods are good and kindhearted. I also imagine that different species each has their own god and heaven. What is heavenly and divine to one species or individual may be hellish and devilish to another. Heaven is like an ethereal system that is only accessible by the members nurtured through their faith in their respective God.
23-02-2017, 05:23 AM
We inhabit a universe and world that profoundly does NOT match our ideal vision for what a universe and world should be like, that in many ways is not only out of phase with our vision but antithetical to it, hostile, hazardous and decidedly unpleasant.

Yet every belief in a god and a heaven posits a god and heaven that precisely matches one's vision of what they should be, and always pleasant, always paradise. This despite the fact that each such vision doesn't match detail for detail the same visions held by anyone else, and is 180 degrees out of phase with observed reality, which has teeth.

Looking to such a vision for comfort can only add to the hazards of life, as it will inevitably induce disillusionments, disappointments and feelings of betrayal when some bits of reality intrude sharp edged and hard as continents. The surest comforts come from deep understanding, not deep but uninformed feeling.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
23-02-2017, 05:27 AM
(23-02-2017 05:23 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  We inhabit a universe and world that profoundly does NOT match our ideal vision for what a universe and world should be like, that in many ways is not only out of phase with our vision but antithetical to it, hostile, hazardous and decidedly unpleasant.

Yet every belief in a god and a heaven posits a god and heaven that precisely matches one's vision of what they should be, and always pleasant, always paradise. This despite the fact that each such vision doesn't match detail for detail the same visions held by anyone else, and is 180 degrees out of phase with observed reality, which has teeth.

Looking to such a vision for comfort can only add to the hazards of life, as it will inevitably induce disillusionments, disappointments and feelings of betrayal when some bits of reality intrude sharp edged and hard as continents. The surest comforts come from deep understanding, not deep but uninformed feeling.

I really agree with you on that. I have to be alert, realistic and aware of the real world, its dangers and changes. If I relish in imagination and dreams, I would lose touch with the reality and may regret one day looking back and missing out current life's most precious moments possible. What you say is a valid argument.

However, I can balance my imagination with rational thinking in a safe way, without overriding the necessities of being in touch with the reality. Ideally, I could use my visions and ideals as a source of inspiration to make such things real. For example, if I have an ideal of what heaven is, as an architect, I could use such qualities to design real buildings and evoke such an atmosphere.
[+] 1 user Likes Thinker's post
23-02-2017, 05:50 AM
(23-02-2017 05:27 AM)Thinker Wrote:  if I have an ideal of what heaven is, as an architect, I could use such qualities to design real buildings and evoke such an atmosphere.

This is an excellent point - there's nothing wrong with shaping realities toward a vision more rewarding than the current state - not just nothing wrong but probably what we should be driving toward. But it can't be realized by hope and desire alone, you have to know how reality really works to alter it so it matches your plan.

Of course, having done so, you then realize your vision wasn't complete, or was still off, and so get to work reshaping it once again, all the way to the our last breath, if done right, and leaving a legacy for those that follow that gives them time to explore fresh avenues and not retrace the miles you've already trod.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
23-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Why does it make you happy to make God happy?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 06:53 AM by jennybee.)
Just curious how thinking about God makes you feel warm and fuzzy when later in your post you mention you feel punished if you do bad things. Those two things don't really seem to go together.

Additionally, the reason you feel good when you do good things and bad when you do bad things has to do with the evolution of emotions. It's a natural occurrence and has nothing to do with a god or gods.

If you were never taught about a particular god, if someone never told you about him, how would you even know who he was?
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
23-02-2017, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 07:02 AM by jennybee.)
(23-02-2017 05:27 AM)Thinker Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 05:23 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  We inhabit a universe and world that profoundly does NOT match our ideal vision for what a universe and world should be like, that in many ways is not only out of phase with our vision but antithetical to it, hostile, hazardous and decidedly unpleasant.

I really agree with you on that. I have to be alert, realistic and aware of the real world, its dangers and changes. If I relish in imagination and dreams, I would lose touch with the reality and may regret one day looking back and missing out current life's most precious moments possible. What you say is a valid argument.

However, I can balance my imagination with rational thinking in a safe way, without overriding the necessities of being in touch with the reality. Ideally, I could use my visions and ideals as a source of inspiration to make such things real. For example, if I have an ideal of what heaven is, as an architect, I could use such qualities to design real buildings and evoke such an atmosphere.

You can still use your imagination without the influence of a god. If you are depressed and empty without a god and it makes you feel good to have one, and you can balance rational thinking and science when it's time to science, there are many theists who do that.

However, if it's depression and a feeling of emptiness as your motivator, maybe consider seeing a therapist who can help you with that.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
23-02-2017, 07:05 AM
(23-02-2017 04:46 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Deliberate rationality leaves me depressed and feeling empty. Ideally, I'll limit use rationality to only times when I am handling scientific issues, addressing humanitarian issues and dealing with the reality.

You in particular may enjoy this from one of my old PHIL profs: Minimal Rationality Reason is a tool, not something to be revered and worshipped. Use it as you will.

#sigh