Theistic Monarchy is the only viable option?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: Theistic Monarchy is the only viable option?
Fact is that we don't have anything that will replace oil. We need all forms of renewable energy just to go partway to coping when oil extraction for energy usage starts to become too expensive. Nor can we put all our hope in something like fusion. We need oil to wean ourselves off it.

But some people use this as an excuse to try keeping things the way they are for that little bit longer. People are good at fooling themselves and the politicians tell the voters what they want to hear, which is why they always go on about economic growth. But that doesn't change cold hard physical reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
22-05-2014, 02:14 PM
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I do care for the environment but I also care about not being poor.

We call that "tragedy of the commons".

Suffice to say no, you're not the first person to be in that situation.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-05-2014, 02:18 PM
(22-05-2014 01:59 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Fact is that we don't have anything that will replace oil. We need all forms of renewable energy just to go partway to coping when oil extraction for energy usage starts to become too expensive. Nor can we put all our hope in something like fusion. We need oil to wean ourselves off it.

But some people use this as an excuse to try keeping things the way they are for that little bit longer. People are good at fooling themselves and the politicians tell the voters what they want to hear, which is why they always go on about economic growth. But that doesn't change cold hard physical reality.

Indeed. But solar efficiency is increasing rapidly, as is the performance of battery technology.

For that matter, we already have a stopgap. It's called nuclear power. But ignorant reactionaries get their panties twisted by that scaaaary nu-kyu-lur stuff, and we muddle through with fossil fuels instead.

Oh, well. The people of Bangladesh can always just move elsewhere, right?

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
22-05-2014, 02:18 PM
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 08:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, and somebody has to get paid to execute people on death row; doesn't mean that I don't oppose capital punishment. My father is employed in the oil industry, but we'd all be better off if we were pursuing renewable energy over pouring billions of gallons of water and toxic chemicals into the ground to feed our energy consumption habits. It's a job, we all gotta eat; but we'd also all be better off if my father could make ends meet tending solar panels instead of fracking.
You father and I won't get paid shit tending solar panels. All I know is that I grew up poor as hell and I'm gettin my piece.
I do care for the environment but I also care about not being poor.
But can I ask; do you drive a car? Use electricity? Brush your teeth? Engage in the many activities taken for granted that could not exist without oil? Or have you cut oil consumption compleatly out of your life?

Not sure that follows. Did anyone say "totally eliminate everything that uses oil"...? Musta missed that one...

Quote:Not too long ago one of my favourite musicians Neil Young was here in Alberta railing against the oil sands. He had a show and during that time he kept all his tour busses running. But it's ok for him to rail against oil because he don't fly in planes...
He certainly don't have to worry about his mortgage or retirement.

Soooooooooo.....your reason that we should totally abandon the search for better, cleaner energy is "LOL Canuck Hack-Singer's Bus Driver!"...?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
22-05-2014, 04:26 PM
(22-05-2014 02:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  You father and I won't get paid shit tending solar panels. All I know is that I grew up poor as hell and I'm gettin my piece.
I do care for the environment but I also care about not being poor.
But can I ask; do you drive a car? Use electricity? Brush your teeth? Engage in the many activities taken for granted that could not exist without oil? Or have you cut oil consumption compleatly out of your life?

Not sure that follows. Did anyone say "totally eliminate everything that uses oil"...? Musta missed that one...

Quote:Not too long ago one of my favourite musicians Neil Young was here in Alberta railing against the oil sands. He had a show and during that time he kept all his tour busses running. But it's ok for him to rail against oil because he don't fly in planes...
He certainly don't have to worry about his mortgage or retirement.

Soooooooooo.....your reason that we should totally abandon the search for better, cleaner energy is "LOL Canuck Hack-Singer's Bus Driver!"...?

Lol. Have I ever given anyone here a reason to take me seriously. I'm just ranting for shits a giggles.
No the actual reason I support the oil industry is because it lines my pocket with lots of $100 bills. I try not to be a hypocrite and yes I am for sale.
22-05-2014, 04:38 PM
You might notice that I agreed that there must be a better way but you don't seem to care about that. Nope just cherry pick the parts you "like" and ignore the rest.
But I won't argue because I have resolved to not do that on the internet.
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. You might win but you're still retarded....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
22-05-2014, 04:56 PM
(22-05-2014 04:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  You might notice that I agreed that there must be a better way but you don't seem to care about that. Nope just cherry pick the parts you "like" and ignore the rest.
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. You might win but you're still retarded....

Don't be mad, Bro.

AngryLaughat

Just pokin at ya a little bit....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
22-05-2014, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2014 06:33 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(22-05-2014 04:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 04:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  You might notice that I agreed that there must be a better way but you don't seem to care about that. Nope just cherry pick the parts you "like" and ignore the rest.

Don't be mad, Bro.

AngryLaughat

Just pokin at ya a little bit....
It's all good man. I've been as high as a motherfucker all day so I don't really know what the fuck is going on.
By the way I don't care what you say to me but Neil Young ain't no hack. That shit was low man. Just not called for...
23-05-2014, 01:11 PM
(22-05-2014 01:44 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I also agree that we need to get off our dependence on oil but we cannot do that at the expense of people's livelihoods. It goes so deep that if you eliminate oil production everything else collapses.

The problem is, this view is incredibly shortsighted. It already fails to take into account the probably irreparable damage already done to the environment that will see the ocean subsume good chunks of our costal cites over the next century. But fuck our grandkids, right?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2014, 01:46 PM
(23-05-2014 01:11 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:44 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I also agree that we need to get off our dependence on oil but we cannot do that at the expense of people's livelihoods. It goes so deep that if you eliminate oil production everything else collapses.

The problem is, this view is incredibly shortsighted. It already fails to take into account the probably irreparable damage already done to the environment that will see the ocean subsume good chunks of our costal cites over the next century. But fuck our grandkids, right?

Not really. We'll need petroleum products for myriad non-fuel uses for many years to come.

We just need to stop burning it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post