Theists, I want your best reasoning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
RE: Theists, I want your best reasoning
The small animal question also works for serial killers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm not a theist, but let me take a stab at this, let me know what you think.

1. Why is the sky blue? Photons reflecting off of particles in the air that are interpreted by my brain as blue. Don't think that was the answer you were looking for... But that's my answer.
2. What is a rainbow? a ray of light refracted.
3. What causes earthquakes? Tectonic plates shifting sometimes the gays
4. If you traveled East along the equator from Quito, Ecuador for 24,901 miles (40,075 km) where would you end up? Fucking lost
5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a slight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared? Slight of hand
6. Have you played the game Chinese whispers? I'm not sure....
7. Describe an optical illusion. Pictures designed to trick your brain on purpose, cause our brains are weird, and can be tricked like that.
8. If Dick or Jane jumped off the roof would you jump too? Depends, is the house on fire? Is there a sweet pool or trampoline waiting for me? Consider
9. Do you follow your doctor’s advice? I try to.
10. Have you ever tortured a small animal? No, unless you count giving my cat a bath against her will, or putting another cat into doll dresses that left him immobile and angry.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 7 users Like Smercury44's post
03-12-2014, 09:47 PM
(03-12-2014 09:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You are asking too much.

You have to start with something easier, like why is the sky blue or something similar just to get an idea where they stand on basics. We can explicitly tell them its an open book questionnaire.

1. Why is the sky blue?

You see, there is no such thing as color. The sky is not actually blue. It has no color and is every bit as transparent as the air around us. When light ( white light ) the only kind of actual light there is, touches something, anything, that object, gas, or "thing" absorbs the wave lengths of that light and what it cannot absorb is reflected back out. When our eyes receive those wave lengths, they piece together the image in our brain from billions of years of slow evolutionary process that allows us to better interact with our world and survive and thus what we SEE is color. The composition in the air is a lot of water and other gases like nitron and a little oxygen. Which gives its blue color.

Quote:2. What is a rainbow?

I cannot tell you everything about a rainbow, but it has something to do with the refractions of light splitting the color spectrum into visible light from a certain angle and it is always bow shaped for some reason I do not remember.

Quote:3. What causes earthquakes?

The entire earths crust is floating on a molten core. The pieces rub together and slide into or up against each other which causes the ground to move when there is too much pressure.

Quote:4. If you traveled East along the equator from Quito, Ecuador for 24,901 miles (40,075 km) where would you end up?

I don't know, I would have to research that and find out.

Quote:5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a slight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared?
Slight of hand.

Quote:6. Have you played the game Chinese whispers?
No, but I am aware of it.

Quote:7. Describe an optical illusion.
An optical illusion is where when our brains put together an image of color or sight that really isn't there based on our natural ability to find patterns in things.
Such as water in the desert. It is not water, the heat waves distorting color and air around your area just makes your brain "think" your looking at water.

Quote:8. If Dick or Jane jumped off the roof would you jump too?

No, I would attempt to persuade them not too if I was there though.

Quote:9. Do you follow your doctor’s advice?

Of course, They didn't spend 10-12 years in college for nothing!

Quote:10. Have you ever tortured a small animal?

I, Would, NEVER~!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
(03-12-2014 09:47 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 09:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  2. What is a rainbow?

I cannot tell you everything about a rainbow, but it has something to do with the refractions of light splitting the color spectrum into visible light from a certain angle and it is always bow shaped for some reason I do not remember.

Rainbows are "bow shaped" because they're circular and the bottom half is cut off by the horizon. We only see the white light refracted at the very edge of the beam as it's been refracted farther. It's refracted more or less equally in all directions following the path of the beam, which is why it's a circle.

(03-12-2014 09:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  4. If you traveled East along the equator from Quito, Ecuador for 24,901 miles (40,075 km) where would you end up?

Right back where you started after circumnavigating the globe.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
03-12-2014, 10:32 PM
(03-12-2014 09:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  The small animal question also works for serial killers.

Like god?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
The answer I hear over and over again is that this life is to beautiful and elegant not to be created. It is not a good argument, but they usually aren't interested in thinking too deeply about it. People believe for purely emotional reasons; rationality very rarely has anything to do with it.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
03-12-2014, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 07:51 AM by Full Circle.)
Class, I did say open book but you tried and that's commendable.

The first 2 questions I just want to know if they know how to look information up.

Question #3 I want to know if they attribute quakes as an act of a vengeful god or for what they are, do they realize that we live in a hostile environment?

Q#4 can they read a map and do they know the world is round?

Q#5 do they know they can be tricked?

Q#6 are they aware that the retelling of stories garbles the original?

Q#7 are they aware that seeing is not always believing?

Q#8 can they think for themselves?

Q#9 do they acknowledge advancements in science and they are benefactors of said science

Q#10 cruelty is cruelty whether directed at animals or people

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-12-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm not even looking to debate them here. I honestly want to just know what their reasoning is. Most people that go to church have never given any thought to it, or had actual conversations about their faith, tjey blindly follow their pastor, so I understand that.

I'm convinced most apologetics don't actually believe, but they like debating. (Kind of like a lawyer) and they make money, so I understand that.

I absolutely do not understand how these idiots justify believing when they've see all the evidence contrary to it.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
04-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Doesn't theism directly conflict reason?
04-12-2014, 03:37 AM
I have yet to see a direct answer to a question from a theist since joining this site in June.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post