Theists, I want your best reasoning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 04:01 AM
RE: Theists, I want your best reasoning
(04-12-2014 03:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I have yet to see a direct answer to a question from a theist since joining this site in June.

I agree, they duck, dodge , and hide.
The Three Stooges of theism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 04:49 AM
(03-12-2014 09:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a slight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared?
[Image: 2011-07-22-Buni.jpg]

From http://www.bunicomic.com

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-12-2014, 04:57 AM
One of the bigger reasons I comment little in threads like this is honestly because of the usage of the word "theist".

"Theism" in the broadest sense refers to belief in the existence of one or more deities - which is why the opposite is called "Atheism".
However in popular usages it is often seen as referring specifically to the god concept found in Abrahamic religions (which seems to be the case in the OP as well)... And while I fit the former, I do not fit the latter.

Now, that the discourses concerning religion is often centred around Abrahamic religion is not necessarily bad, but it does exclude a few people like me from time to time.
Please don't take it as me complaining, but more as a heads up that if you want people from all religions to comment you have to broaden your discourse and terminology a bit.

microterf, this is not a comment about this thread in particular, but more rooted in what I think is some general trends, if you were solely looking for Christians to debate I'm sorry for disturbing you.
04-12-2014, 06:50 AM
(03-12-2014 07:02 PM)microterf Wrote:  I see a lot of Christians that come on here and make comment on the threads, I have yet to see one of them make a good point that didn't have an obvious rebuttal, and they are always attacking other views. I would like to hear the best argument that you can give for why YOU believe. You've obviously read through a lot of the same stuff the rest of us have, yet somehow still believe. Sell me with your best argument.

You're never going to get the honest answer, which they know deep down inside: indoctrination. Nobody is going to say "I believe in God because mommy and daddy raised me to believe in him." That's why they can't make a good point that doesn't have an obvious rebuttal. It's hard to do that when your only grounds for believing is because you were brought up to believe in it your whole life.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
04-12-2014, 06:51 AM
(03-12-2014 09:31 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a slight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared? Slight of hand

The answer is sleight of hand. True. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2014, 06:54 AM
(04-12-2014 04:57 AM)Gaest Wrote:  One of the bigger reasons I comment little in threads like this is honestly because of the usage of the word "theist".

"Theism" in the broadest sense refers to belief in the existence of one or more deities - which is why the opposite is called "Atheism".
However in popular usages it is often seen as referring specifically to the god concept found in Abrahamic religions (which seems to be the case in the OP as well)... And while I fit the former, I do not fit the latter.

Now, that the discourses concerning religion is often centred around Abrahamic religion is not necessarily bad, but it does exclude a few people like me from time to time.
Please don't take it as me complaining, but more as a heads up that if you want people from all religions to comment you have to broaden your discourse and terminology a bit.

microterf, this is not a comment about this thread in particular, but more rooted in what I think is some general trends, if you were solely looking for Christians to debate I'm sorry for disturbing you.

You're not excluded - we think you too are delusional. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2014, 07:03 AM
(03-12-2014 07:02 PM)microterf Wrote:  I see a lot of Christians that come on here and make comment on the threads, I have yet to see one of them make a good point that didn't have an obvious rebuttal, and they are always attacking other views. I would like to hear the best argument that you can give for why YOU believe. You've obviously read through a lot of the same stuff the rest of us have, yet somehow still believe. Sell me with your best argument.

I'll step up.

The tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that.
04-12-2014, 07:11 AM
(04-12-2014 07:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I'll step up.

The tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that.

Gravity
04-12-2014, 07:12 AM
(04-12-2014 06:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 04:57 AM)Gaest Wrote:  One of the bigger reasons I comment little in threads like this is honestly because of the usage of the word "theist".

You're not excluded - we think you too are delusional. Big Grin

Oh, I didn't doubt that for a second Tongue Which is also why I made this post to explain why I rarely reply to threads like this - in case you secretly wanted me in the discussion.
04-12-2014, 07:17 AM
(04-12-2014 07:11 AM)pablo Wrote:  Gravity

It's not just a coincidence that the G is capitalized, and starts with the same letter as G_D.

It's invisible, all present, and transcends both space and time, and is likely conscious. I mean how else would it know to keep us grounded on earth, rather than floating all over the place, and bumping into lamp polls.