Theists, I want your best reasoning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 07:19 AM
RE: Theists, I want your best reasoning
(04-12-2014 07:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:02 PM)microterf Wrote:  I see a lot of Christians that come on here and make comment on the threads, I have yet to see one of them make a good point that didn't have an obvious rebuttal, and they are always attacking other views. I would like to hear the best argument that you can give for why YOU believe. You've obviously read through a lot of the same stuff the rest of us have, yet somehow still believe. Sell me with your best argument.

I'll step up.

The tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that.

You... what? Theory of tides has been well known since Newton... Did you read the question? Why do you believe invisible God who looks like (as much as invisible beings look like things) an ape-descendant is running the show?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 07:22 AM
(04-12-2014 07:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 07:11 AM)pablo Wrote:  Gravity

It's not just a coincidence that the G is capitalized, and starts with the same letter as G_D.

It's invisible, all present, and transcends both space and time, and is likely conscious. I mean how else would it know to keep us grounded on earth, rather than floating all over the place, and bumping into lamp polls.

I sincerely hope you're joking.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-12-2014, 07:41 AM
(04-12-2014 07:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 07:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's not just a coincidence that the G is capitalized, and starts with the same letter as G_D.

It's invisible, all present, and transcends both space and time, and is likely conscious. I mean how else would it know to keep us grounded on earth, rather than floating all over the place, and bumping into lamp polls.

I sincerely hope you're joking.

I'm approaching certainty on the proposition that Tomasia is actually a Poe

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
04-12-2014, 07:46 AM
(04-12-2014 07:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why do you believe invisible God who looks like (as much as invisible beings look like things) an ape-descendant is running the show?

Well, I don't believe God looks like an "ape-descendant", or has any real form to speak of.

But I believe there is God, not because the show needs running, but because the show goes on as it always has, that there is in fact a show to begin with. Because there is a show, rather than no show.
04-12-2014, 08:05 AM
(04-12-2014 07:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 07:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why do you believe invisible God who looks like (as much as invisible beings look like things) an ape-descendant is running the show?

Well, I don't believe God looks like an "ape-descendant", or has any real form to speak of.

But I believe there is God, not because the show needs running, but because the show goes on as it always has, that there is in fact a show to begin with. Because there is a show, rather than no show.

Care to answer? Open book, no hurry.

1. Why is the sky blue?
2. What is a rainbow?
3. What causes earthquakes?
4. If you traveled East along the equator from Quito, Ecuador for 24,901 miles (40,075 km) where would you end up?
5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a sleight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared?
6. Have you played the game Chinese whispers?
7. Describe an optical illusion.
8. If Dick or Jane jumped off the roof would you jump too?
9. Do you follow your doctor’s advice?
10. Have you ever tortured a small animal?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-12-2014, 08:10 AM
(04-12-2014 07:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

That is such shallow thinking.
Where did your God come from? Is there a Meta-god to explain that? And a Meta-meta-god to explain the Meta-god? And so on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
(04-12-2014 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Where did your God come from?

Why would God have to come from anywhere?
04-12-2014, 08:27 AM
(04-12-2014 08:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

For the same reason anybody would claim that the universe had to come from somewhere. If god must exist because the universe exists then something else must exist because god exists. God is a non-answer to the question of the origin, if any, of the universe. It is essentially nothing but a word that means "I don't know".

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
04-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Some of your anti-evolution pals insist something can't come from nothing. Where do you stand on that?
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
(04-12-2014 08:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

God comes from over-active imaginations.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post