Theists, I want your best reasoning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
RE: Theists, I want your best reasoning
(04-12-2014 08:05 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Care to answer? Open book, no hurry.

1. Why is the sky blue?
2. What is a rainbow?
3. What causes earthquakes?
4. If you traveled East along the equator from Quito, Ecuador for 24,901 miles (40,075 km) where would you end up?
5. When you watch a magician make a rabbit disappear, do you think it is a sleight of hand or that the rabbit truly disappeared?
6. Have you played the game Chinese whispers?
7. Describe an optical illusion.
8. If Dick or Jane jumped off the roof would you jump too?
9. Do you follow your doctor’s advice?
10. Have you ever tortured a small animal?

My answers would fall along the lines of the one's Shadowfox listed here, so i see no need to be redundant.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid695516
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
(04-12-2014 08:30 AM)pablo Wrote:  Some of your anti-evolution pals insist something can't come from nothing. Where do you stand on that?

I don't see how something can come from nothing. I've seen people attempt to argue this, but it typically involves us having to define what clearly is something, to be nothing.

You can't call something which has all the potential, all the ingredients, to give rise to something, a "nothing".
04-12-2014, 08:54 AM
^Then from whence came god?

Your reasoning is self refuting.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
04-12-2014, 09:04 AM
(04-12-2014 08:54 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Then from whence came god?

Here's the thing, most atheists that I have come across who acknowledge that something can't come from nothing, will generally point to some first cause, a first something, that has always existed, that had no beginning that gave rise to everything else. I don't see anything wrong with this view, and doesn't appear to be unreasonable. And if I was an unbeliever I would likely accept something like this to be true.

I don't see why I would have to assume this first something, had no beginning, yet have to assume that God had a beginning.

So if atheists don't have to assume a beginning for a first cause, why would i have to?
04-12-2014, 09:05 AM
I think Chas is right about this one.
04-12-2014, 09:05 AM
(04-12-2014 08:54 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Then from whence came god?

More like loopy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
So why not save a step Tomasia, and conclude that the universe doesn't have a "beginning"?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
04-12-2014, 09:12 AM
(04-12-2014 09:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Here's the thing, most atheists that I have come across who acknowledge that something can't come from nothing, will generally point to some first cause, a first something, that has always existed, that had no beginning that gave rise to everything else. I don't see anything wrong with this view, and doesn't appear to be unreasonable. And if I was an unbeliever I would likely accept something like this to be true.

I don't see why I would have to assume this first something, had no beginning, yet have to assume that God had a beginning.

So if atheists don't have to assume a beginning for a first cause, why would i have to?

The problem with this is that

It puts the deity before (And after) all of reality.

This means that the deity is 13 something billion years away from us (Being 'Outside' reality) since we can see out to (And into the past, because of how light travels) through time and space around us.

This then means the Theist has to invoke something else to have/allow said deity to some how interact with us from that incredible distance of time and space.

So... just proposing a deity adds more complexity than it simplifies....

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
04-12-2014, 09:12 AM
(04-12-2014 09:08 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So why not save a step Tomasia, and conclude that the universe doesn't have a "beginning"?

There never was a universe and we're all brains in vats.
Sounds like a good movie. Big Grin
04-12-2014, 09:15 AM
(04-12-2014 09:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Here's the thing, most atheists that I have come across who acknowledge that something can't come from nothing, will generally point to some first cause, a first something, that has always existed, that had no beginning that gave rise to everything else. I don't see anything wrong with this view, and doesn't appear to be unreasonable. And if I was an unbeliever I would likely accept something like this to be true.

Not yet knowing the beginning and claiming that there was no beginning are not the same thing.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post