Theists - Please check in here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Theists - Please check in here
I respectfully request that all theists that come to this board post a brief outline of your dogma, denominational affiliations if any, and basic tenets of your beliefs.

It would also help to be upfront and let us know why you are here for clarity's sake.
(i.e. proselytize, teach, learn, discuss, crisis of conscience, punishment, walk on the wild side, a dare etc.)

And how you got here (i.e. TTA podcast, web search, stumble upon, wrong left turn etc.)

Examples:

1) Hello my name is XYZ. I am a Catholic. We believe in the Holy Trinity, that Jesus is the Son of God and only through Him can we enter into Heaven. I believe in the Sacraments of Babtism, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Holy Orders, Marriage and Annointing the Sick. I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. I'm here to discuss different points of view and hope to have meaningful exchanges of ideas. I'm also curious why you renounced religion.

2) Hello, I'm Lord Steven Christ. I am the reincarnation of the Christ. I am not affiliated. My basic tenets include watching you all burn in hell if you don't have faith in me. I'm here to promote my Youtube page and I found this place by the Grace of God. Oh, and please send me money.

Welcome.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-04-2013, 11:53 PM

RE: Theists - Please check in here
Hello? There are three theists here. Me, Blow Me, and KC. And I think we're all pretty well known. Nevertheless, you asked; I deliver (and I'm typing this while listening to Contemporary Christian Music, Kari Jobe, to be exact.).

Veridicanism

The Two Tenets:

God is monistic in nature. (Una Substantia)
The human purpose is to be Christ (Esse Christus)

The Articles of Faith

I. Preface

We live our lives in preparation for the eternal life hereafter. In aid of that we believe the following Articles of Faith to be true:

II. God

God is the fundamental monistic consciousness, creator of the universe in all its dimensions, Father of souls, the definition of life, author of truth, existence for its own sake.

III. Christ

The basic purpose of all human beings is to transform our spirit into Christ. Christ is God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

IV. Jesus Christ

We assert that Jesus Christ was a physical man living on earth who was the first among us to transform into Christ. Thus his life and teachings are the instructions we follow for our transformation. Jesus Christ is our Savior, the Son of God, the Word of God, God on Earth. He lived during the time of the Ancient Roman Empire, and he was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He died on a cross, but he rose to life again after three days and ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of the Glory of God. He will return to earth one day to judge the living and the dead.

V. Salvation

Salvation is the rebirth of our human spirit into the spirit of Christ. When we put our faith in Christ, realize our imperfections as a human being, and honestly desire that transformation, we die to what we were and are reborn into the single body of Christ by the graceful mercy of God. Thus we are saved from our sinful nature which separates us from God.

VI. Baptism

We believe in two baptisms: The first is the transformation into the body of Christ through spiritual death and rebirth (The Baptism of Salvation). The second is the crossing-over from our earthbound life into eternal life that occurs at the moment of our physical death. (The Baptism of Ascension).

VII. Communion

We believe that during the ceremony of eating bread and drinking wine that our faith transforms the bread into the actual body of Christ and the wine into Christ’s actual blood, and when we consume it, we transform into the substance of Christ. We hold this ritual on each solstice of every year, either alone or in community.

VIII. Bible

We interpret the true life and teachings of Jesus Christ from the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. All other religious books and writings are available for our edification, but the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is the final authoritative text in all matters of our faith. We hold that the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is inerrant in purpose in that it will not fail to transform the human spirit into Christ if read and understood.

IX. Commandments

We have only two commandments: That we should love God with all our heart, all our mind, all our soul, and all our strength. And that we should love our neighbor by doing unto them what we would have done unto us.

X. Sin

We define sin as any inclination toward the original human spirit as opposed to the reborn spirit in Christ. Anything that moves us toward becoming Christ is good; anything that slows that or reverses it is evil. We believe that our original nature is necessarily sinful in that it has not undergone the first Baptism of Salvation.

XI. The Church

We hold that the Church is the community of minds where Christ is present. Thus we define it as the body of believers united in the solitary purpose of transforming into Christ. For Jesus Christ said, “Where two are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.”

XII. Satan

We believe in the spiritual entity that exists to draw human beings away from any development into Christ. We hold that Satan is a creation of God intended to purify the elect and to prune those from the Church who are not truly committed to it by faith. Anyone not in a league with Christ necessarily remains in a league with Satan.

XIII. Heaven

We hold that if a human dies while transforming into Christ, and thus undergoes the Baptism of Ascension, they continue that transformation in paradise. Paradise is an alternate plane where individual souls have a greater control over their environment than what they have in the physical plane. It is in Paradise where we are empowered to act in the fullness of Christ.

XIV. Hell

We believe hell is a place of spiritual agony where souls are kept for the pleasure of God. We believe anyone not in Christ at the time of death will go to hell.

XV. Evangelism

We believe it is our duty to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ to whoever will listen in hopes the seed of the Word of God will grow within them and transform them into Christ. We evangelize because we love our fellow human being, even as God loves us all, therefore we evangelize with fervor, commitment, and by any means necessary.

XVI. Eschatology

We believe there are two meanings inherent in the “Second Coming.”

1. We believe Christ returns whenever a human being is transformed into Christ through faith in Christ.

2. We wait for the return of our teacher, Jesus Christ, who said he would come again to judge the world. This we believe occurs just before the end of the physical world.

XVII. Our Mission

Veridicans exists to spread the good news of Jesus Christ to the world and reveal the great potential of humankind expressed through the fullness of Christ. To this end, we endeavor by the power of God to be a light within the world, and from that power, to follow our template who is the firstborn among us--Jesus Christ.

The fruition of our work is a great awakening within the human soul, empowering it to overthrow the kingdom of Satan and usher in the kingdom of God ruled eternally by those unified in Christ. We hold this to be the will of our Heavenly Father and the legacy of Glory owed to our posterity.

Therefore, with perseverance we continue this struggle through the power of faith, the boldness of truth, our commitment to Christ, and the indomitable favor of the Lord our God.

XVIII. Authorization

These Articles, having been laid down by my hand under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, on January 22, 2013, shall not be changed except they be altered by a duly elected church council of the leading Veridican Church which shall cast a unanimous vote by a quorum of ordained leaders belonging to that council. So help me God.

The Three Practices

Animal Care

Physical Exercise

Pursuit of Purpose

------------

That's Veridicanism.

I'm here to...I don't really know why. It just seems to be where God put me.
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 12:53 AM by Full Circle.)
(17-04-2013 11:53 PM)Egor Wrote:  Hello? There are three theists here. Me, Blow Me, and KC. And I think we're all pretty well known. Nevertheless, you asked; I deliver (and I'm typing this while listening to Contemporary Christian Music, Kari Jobe, to be exact.).

Veridicanism

The Two Tenets:

God is monistic in nature. (Una Substantia)
The human purpose is to be Christ (Esse Christus)

The Articles of Faith

I. Preface

We live our lives in preparation for the eternal life hereafter. In aid of that we believe the following Articles of Faith to be true:

II. God

God is the fundamental monistic consciousness, creator of the universe in all its dimensions, Father of souls, the definition of life, author of truth, existence for its own sake.

III. Christ

The basic purpose of all human beings is to transform our spirit into Christ. Christ is God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

IV. Jesus Christ

We assert that Jesus Christ was a physical man living on earth who was the first among us to transform into Christ. Thus his life and teachings are the instructions we follow for our transformation. Jesus Christ is our Savior, the Son of God, the Word of God, God on Earth. He lived during the time of the Ancient Roman Empire, and he was crucified under Pontius Pilate. He died on a cross, but he rose to life again after three days and ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of the Glory of God. He will return to earth one day to judge the living and the dead.

V. Salvation

Salvation is the rebirth of our human spirit into the spirit of Christ. When we put our faith in Christ, realize our imperfections as a human being, and honestly desire that transformation, we die to what we were and are reborn into the single body of Christ by the graceful mercy of God. Thus we are saved from our sinful nature which separates us from God.

VI. Baptism

We believe in two baptisms: The first is the transformation into the body of Christ through spiritual death and rebirth (The Baptism of Salvation). The second is the crossing-over from our earthbound life into eternal life that occurs at the moment of our physical death. (The Baptism of Ascension).

VII. Communion

We believe that during the ceremony of eating bread and drinking wine that our faith transforms the bread into the actual body of Christ and the wine into Christ’s actual blood, and when we consume it, we transform into the substance of Christ. We hold this ritual on each solstice of every year, either alone or in community.

VIII. Bible

We interpret the true life and teachings of Jesus Christ from the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. All other religious books and writings are available for our edification, but the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is the final authoritative text in all matters of our faith. We hold that the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is inerrant in purpose in that it will not fail to transform the human spirit into Christ if read and understood.

IX. Commandments

We have only two commandments: That we should love God with all our heart, all our mind, all our soul, and all our strength. And that we should love our neighbor by doing unto them what we would have done unto us.

X. Sin

We define sin as any inclination toward the original human spirit as opposed to the reborn spirit in Christ. Anything that moves us toward becoming Christ is good; anything that slows that or reverses it is evil. We believe that our original nature is necessarily sinful in that it has not undergone the first Baptism of Salvation.

XI. The Church

We hold that the Church is the community of minds where Christ is present. Thus we define it as the body of believers united in the solitary purpose of transforming into Christ. For Jesus Christ said, “Where two are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.”

XII. Satan

We believe in the spiritual entity that exists to draw human beings away from any development into Christ. We hold that Satan is a creation of God intended to purify the elect and to prune those from the Church who are not truly committed to it by faith. Anyone not in a league with Christ necessarily remains in a league with Satan.

XIII. Heaven

We hold that if a human dies while transforming into Christ, and thus undergo the Baptism of Ascension, they continue that transformation in paradise. Paradise is an alternate plane where individual souls have a greater control over their environment than what they have in the physical plane. It is in Paradise where we are empowered to act in the fullness of Christ.

XIV. Hell

We believe hell is a place of spiritual agony where souls are kept for the pleasure of God. We believe anyone not in Christ at the time of death will go to hell.

XV. Evangelism

We believe it is our duty to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ to whoever will listen in hopes the seed of the Word of God will grow within them and transform them into Christ. We evangelize because we love our fellow human being, even as God loves us all, therefore we evangelize with fervor, commitment, and by any means necessary.

XVI. Eschatology

We believe there are two meanings inherent in the “Second Coming.”

1. We believe Christ returns whenever a human being is transformed into Christ through faith in Christ.

2. We wait for the return of our teacher, Jesus Christ, who said he would come again to judge the world. This we believe occurs just before the end of the physical world.

XVII. Our Mission

Veridicans exists to spread the good news of Jesus Christ to the world and reveal the great potential of humankind expressed through the fullness of Christ. To this end, we endeavor by the power of God to be a light within the world, and from that power, to follow our template who is the firstborn among us--Jesus Christ.

The fruition of our work is a great awakening within the human soul, empowering it to overthrow the kingdom of Satan and usher in the kingdom of God ruled eternally by those unified in Christ. We hold this to be the will of our Heavenly Father and the legacy of Glory owed to our posterity.

Therefore, with perseverance we continue this struggle through the power of faith, the boldness of truth, our commitment to Christ, and the indomitable favor of the Lord our God.

XVIII. Authorization

These Articles, having been laid down by my hand under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, on January 22, 2013, shall not be changed except they be altered by a duly elected church council of the leading Veridican Church which shall cast a unanimous vote by a quorum of ordained leaders belonging to that council. So help me God.

The Three Practices

Animal Care

Physical Exercise

Pursuit of Purpose

------------

That's Veridicanism.

I'm here to...I don't really know why. It just seems to be where God put me.

Thanks for taking the time.
Can you elaborate a bit more on The Three Practices ?

And by the way we do have a few other theists currently here, childeye for one. Then we had a rash of drivebys during Easter including Lord Steven Christ (kinda miss him) and a wc something or other.

A message to all: I am hoping this thread will be used mostly as reference only, so for instance if someone wants to debate Egor on any of his beliefs or tenets then it could be made into a separate thread and argued there. My thinking is to have a place to quickly reference when we want to know a theist's core beliefs. If that works for you great, if not have at it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
18-04-2013, 02:44 AM
(17-04-2013 10:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I respectfully request that all theists that come to this board post a brief outline of your dogma, denominational affiliations if any, and basic tenets of your beliefs.

Are you talking about theism in a broad sense or a more specific (IOW, any religion/beliefs or just monotheistic)?
18-04-2013, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 04:31 PM by Full Circle.)
(18-04-2013 02:44 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 10:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I respectfully request that all theists that come to this board post a brief outline of your dogma, denominational affiliations if any, and basic tenets of your beliefs.

Are you talking about theism in a broad sense or a more specific (IOW, any religion/beliefs or just monotheistic)?

If you are going to challange atheism from a religious point of view it would be helpful to know which views you hold.

Since there are so many religious beliefs, Christianity alone has 43,000 denominations http://churchrelevance.com/qa-list-of-al...r-beliefs/ ,
half adozen Jewish Movements http://www.religionfacts.com/judaism/denominations.htm,
73 Sects of Islam http://www.real-islam.org/73_8.htm
Buddhists Sects, Hindu Sects http://www.hinduism.co.za/hindu3.htm

You can see where this is going.

Atheists hold one point of view, no god(s). Easy enough to understand.
Religious people have to explain their beliefs since there are so many and are so varied.

18-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Three Practices of Veridicanism
(18-04-2013 12:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks for taking the time.
Can you elaborate a bit more on The Three Practices ?

Sure.

Three Practices of Veridicanism

I. Animal Care

It is essential for all those who have undergone the Baptism of Salvation, and therefore have been reborn into Christ, to practice direct animal care throughout the remainder of their physical life.

Direct animal care includes, but is not limited to caring for a pet, maintaining a farm, working for an animal shelter or an animal sanctuary or zoo. The particular venue is an individual choice, so long as the activity provides for some sort of direct animal care.

Animal care strengthens the spiritual nature in the neophyte Christ toward the care and love of creatures that are lower by category.

In Paradise, as Christ, we will be required to maintain an environment populated with people and animals which are necessarily lower by category. If we do not acquire the wisdom attained through the continuous love and care of creatures lower by category, we will not create the type of environment the Father wants to experience through us as Christ in Paradise.

In short: Animal care teaches us how to love as a god.

II. Physical Exercise

There are two natures present in every human being: the spiritual nature and their physical nature. They relate to each other inversely through the application of our free will; that is as one is voluntarily utilized it becomes stronger and the other is therefore underutilized and becomes weaker.

Therefore, if one chooses hedonism; that is, if one chooses to appease their physical nature through the pursuit of physical pleasures, on a regular basis, that will necessarily weaken their spiritual nature. Inversely, if one chooses to deny their body physical pleasure, that willful act will necessarily strengthen their spiritual nature, and it is through the strength of our spiritual nature that we develop as Christ.

The pursuit of physical exercise on a regular basis is the best way to deny the body physical pleasure. The body naturally wants to remain at rest. It wants to remain satiated with food and with substances such as tobacco and alcohol. Forcing it to do physical exercise is an exercise in spirit-over-body.

Physical exercise is doing anything your body resists doing because of hedonism. So, jogging, for instance, especially if one doesn’t want to jog, is a physical exercise that strengthens the spirit. Reducing calories or fasting is another type of physical exercise that strengthens the spirit. There are endless ways to “exercise” and everyone’s situation is different. The only hard rule is that physical exercise must be done on a regular basis, even when—and especially if—one doesn’t want to do it. For instance, jogging on a day when you don’t feel like it is spiritually better than jogging on a day when you do feel like it.

People cannot lead a life of hedonism and develop as Christ. They will not gain the spiritual skill to overcome the desire for inertia, and in Paradise, they will be required to create systems and situations they do not want to create and yet must be active in. Most of our development as Christ, which is for the glory of God, is accomplished in Paradise, but if the neophyte Christ uses Paradise to become inert, they will not develop as God wants them to. Inert hedonism in this life leads to spiritual inertia in the next. On the other hand, spiritual power gained in this life is magnified in Paradise and achieves our development as Christ more efficiently. And this is what God wants from us.

III. Pursuit of Purpose

Every human being is born at a unique moment in the history of the universe. Every human being is sufficiently different from one another so that each is an absolute original creation of God, never having been created before, never to be created again; therefore, to each human being God has given a unique talent, and the exercise of that talent is the pursuit of their purpose as Christ in this physical world.

There are three steps all those in Christ must take: 1.) the identification of their talent; 2.) the practice of that talent to perfection, and 3.) the use of that talent to bring glory to God and the Veridican faith.

When others see someone capable of a great talent, they are curious about that person, and when they learn that person is a child of God, one with Christ, and of the Veridican faith, they will want to emulate what they do and who they are.

Our talent is God’s billboard for Christ.
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 11:06 AM by Gaest.)
(18-04-2013 07:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 02:44 AM)Gaest Wrote:  Are you talking about theism in a broad sense or a more specific (IOW, any religion/beliefs or just monotheistic)?

If you are going to challange atheism from a religious point of view it would be helpful to know which views you hold.

Since there are so many religious beliefs, Christianity alone has 43,000 http://churchrelevance.com/qa-list-of-al...r-beliefs/ ,
half adozen Jewish Movements http://www.religionfacts.com/judaism/denominations.htm,
73 Sects of Islam http://www.real-islam.org/73_8.htm
Buddhists Sects, Hindu Sects http://www.hinduism.co.za/hindu3.htm

You can see where this is going.

Atheists hold one point of view, no god(s). Easy enough to understand.
Religious people have to explain their beliefs since there are so many and are so varied.

Umm... Okay. I´ll join in.

I´m Asatru. I believe in Old Norse gods (Odin, Thor and so on) and sacrifice stuff to big wooden idols in order to get prosperity and luck for me and mine.
I aspire to create a good life for myself, my family and my friends as well as leaving a good name behind. When I die there might be an afterlife.
My religion is inspired and informed by the historical and archaeological records, as well as myths which I believe convey information about actual divine entities.
If anyone is interested I made an Q/A thread about it some time ago: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...k-a-Viking
[+] 3 users Like Gaest's post
18-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh. You were serious? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-04-2013, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 11:11 AM by Gaest.)
(18-04-2013 11:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh. You were serious? Consider

Oui !
18-04-2013, 04:30 PM
(18-04-2013 11:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh. You were serious? Consider

Are you addressing Gaest or me?