Theists and BS assumptions about science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 07:57 AM
RE: Theists and BS assumptions about science
(27-04-2016 06:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Self-Idenitying atheist want to be recognized, acknowledged, represented, freely be able to come out about it, were A pins, etc.... It's important part of some people's identities.

Prove it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 08:02 AM
"There are people who don't really believe in God, who do not identify themselves as Atheist, such a Neil Tyson, Carl Sagan, Einstein, or even Bernie Sanders. Some people avoid the label, others want to wear it boldly and proudly."

And some people merely check a box on a form.

You continue to try and assign an underlying motivation for why scientists use the label "atheist" when you've nothing beyond your ill-informed ignorance and bias to support it.

"Self-Identifying atheists not only don't believe in God, but also want to be recognized by the fact that they don't believe in God. "

Once again, this is bullshit. You have no idea why some people identify as atheist. YOU have no clue. But despite this YOU continue to assert it. This isn't about atheists, it is about YOU.

"For some identifying as an atheists is important to them as identifying as a theist, or a christian, etc.. might be to a believer. It's an integral part of their identity."

And for some, it isn't. It is trivial. And YOU have no idea which it is.

"Something to be encouraged to come out about, be open about, be proud about, a means to identify with a particular group, etc..."

The only thing that unites scientists, is science. You continuing to assert that atheism is an encouraged group within science, is more of YOU injecting your beliefs into science. You clearly do not know the field of science.

"It's a part of how some individuals construct their identities."

And not part of the identities of others, even if they use that label when asked about their religious beliefs.

YOUR desire for the label to mean something other than "lacks a belief in a god" by trying to assign some extra level of motivation to it, is nothing more than YOUR issue/bias/ignorance. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-04-2016, 08:04 AM
(27-04-2016 07:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 06:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Self-Idenitying atheist want to be recognized, acknowledged, represented, freely be able to come out about it, were A pins, etc.... It's important part of some people's identities.

Prove it.

I'd go even further and simply ask how this claim even makes any fucking sense with regards to his bullshit argument.

Some people do, some people don't. He is literally asserting that it matters for people's "identities" if they use the label atheist, but then quietly admits that it may not be for others. I assume he'd say that the latter wouldn't use the label "atheist" but beyond individual anecdotes, he can't demonstrate this is actually true.

-Rick
27-04-2016, 08:06 AM
(27-04-2016 07:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet, you respond.

I don't want you to simply respond with your generic theistic bullshit. You need to answer and address things being said in reply to you instead of continuing to double-down on your bullshit and contradictions.

I strongly suspect that not only will you not do so, but that you can't. Why? Because (despite what you say) you're not here for actual discussion, you're just here to preach generic theistic bullshit. Why do I suspect this (and I am not the only one to make this observation)? Because of the stuff you actually write.

You can lie and try and manipulate what you say about your reasons and motivations for being on an atheist forum, but your "discussions" and your "replies" betray you. Drinking Beverage

What you need to learn is when you misunderstood someone, and they take the time to clarify that to you, you should acknowledge that clarification, rather than double down on your misunderstanding.

Accusing people of saying things they didn't say, particularly after they point this out to you, is not a good habit to cultivate, both personally and professionally.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 08:14 AM
(27-04-2016 08:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 07:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet, you respond.

I don't want you to simply respond with your generic theistic bullshit. You need to answer and address things being said in reply to you instead of continuing to double-down on your bullshit and contradictions.

I strongly suspect that not only will you not do so, but that you can't. Why? Because (despite what you say) you're not here for actual discussion, you're just here to preach generic theistic bullshit. Why do I suspect this (and I am not the only one to make this observation)? Because of the stuff you actually write.

You can lie and try and manipulate what you say about your reasons and motivations for being on an atheist forum, but your "discussions" and your "replies" betray you. Drinking Beverage

What you need to learn is when you misunderstood someone, and they take the time to clarify that to you, you should acknowledge that clarification, rather than double down on your misunderstanding.

Accusing people of saying things they didn't say, particularly after they point this out to you, is not a good habit to cultivate, both personally and professionally.

You haven't clarified anything. You keep saying the same contradictory things over and over and over...

-Rick
27-04-2016, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2016 08:23 AM by Tomasia.)
(27-04-2016 07:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Prove it.

We are sitting here in an "atheist" forum, lol.

I mean they even have atheist pins and buttons, and logos, bummer stickers, conventions, and even songs.

Stinks over Bernie Sanders not openly coming out as an atheist:

http://religionnews.com/2016/02/04/berni...-feelings/

The first and main thing you'll know about most people here, before you even know their gender, their career, their nationality, whether they're a husband, or a father, is a declaration of their atheism, and an allegiance with atheists both past and present. If there's a group of individuals you find yourself the closest to identifying with, it's likely atheists. Hence why you're here, your friends, and connections.

In fact it's integral to seeing yourself as rational, as objective, seeing yourself as seeing clearly, seeing truthfully, as not deluded etc... A version of you that one day became religious, and believes in God, would be a you, you wouldn't even recognize, the thought of which might even be repulsive.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 08:17 AM
(27-04-2016 08:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 07:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Prove it.

We are sitting here in an "atheist" forum, lol.

I mean they even have atheists pin and buttons, bummer stickers, conventions, and even songs.

The first and main thing you'll know about most people here, before you even know their gender, their career, their nationality, whether they're a husband, or a father, is a declaration of their atheism, and allegiance with atheists both past and present.

SOME people use it as an important identifier of who they are and what they think.

SOME =/= all. Nor does it mean that when scientists use the label "atheist," it is for the same personal reasons you keep asserting.

YOU need to learn context.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-04-2016, 08:18 AM
(27-04-2016 08:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 08:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What you need to learn is when you misunderstood someone, and they take the time to clarify that to you, you should acknowledge that clarification, rather than double down on your misunderstanding.

You haven't clarified anything. You keep saying the same contradictory things over and over and over...

.... and then waffles about what he did say, when his inconsistencies and bullshit are pointed out. ALL this crap about labels is TOTALLY unsupported by ANYTHING. He pulled it ALL out of his biased ass. He's becoming as good an advertisement for non-belief as COTW is.

I'm still dumbfounded by his argument in he somewhat recent past, that the historical Jebus *must* have been true, because there were "a lot of believers".
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 08:36 AM
(27-04-2016 08:17 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 08:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  We are sitting here in an "atheist" forum, lol.

I mean they even have atheists pin and buttons, bummer stickers, conventions, and even songs.

The first and main thing you'll know about most people here, before you even know their gender, their career, their nationality, whether they're a husband, or a father, is a declaration of their atheism, and allegiance with atheists both past and present.

SOME people use it as an important identifier of who they are and what they think.

SOME =/= all. Nor does it mean that when scientists use the label "atheist," it is for the same personal reasons you keep asserting.

YOU need to learn context.

Actually it's not really known how many scientists who say they don't believe in a God or higher power, would label themselves atheists. There is a history of scientists who don't believe in God, who avoid that label altogether, like Carl Sagan, Neil Tyson, Einstein, etc...

Ones like Dawkins, Coyne, Krauss, are ideologically driven, headlines rallys and events, write books to push it, tie atheism to truth, reason, take comfort in growing numbers, and driven to push it forward because they see it tied to bettering life.

27-04-2016, 08:43 AM
(27-04-2016 08:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 08:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You haven't clarified anything. You keep saying the same contradictory things over and over and over...

.... and then waffles about what he did say, when his inconsistencies and bullshit are pointed out. ALL this crap about labels is TOTALLY unsupported by ANYTHING. He pulled it ALL out of his biased ass. He's becoming as good an advertisement for non-belief as COTW is.

I'm still dumbfounded by his argument in he somewhat recent past, that the historical Jebus *must* have been true, because there were "a lot of believers".
Facepalm

The proof is in the pudding, lol.

When you tie your atheism, to being rational, clear minded, thinking objectively, when you create communities around it, etc, then yes it's an important part of your identity as a person.