Theists and BS assumptions about science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: Theists and BS assumptions about science
(27-04-2016 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientists who don't believe in God, and scientists or others who self-identify as atheists are not the same. In fact it's not known whether most scientists who claim to not believe in a God or a higher power, would self-identity as atheists. Or whether most of them would askew the label like Tyson, Einstein, Sagan, etc..

I would *axe* you to "eschew" using the (non-existant) word "askew".
Is that too much to *axe* ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 12:03 PM
(27-04-2016 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Scientists who don't believe in God, and scientists or others who self-identify as atheists are not the same. In fact it's not known whether most scientists who claim to not believe in a God or a higher power, would self-identity as atheists. Or whether most of them would askew the label like Tyson, Einstein, Sagan, etc..

I would *axe* you to "eschew" using the (non-existant) word "askew".

Have you heard about this recent study:

"According to a study at the University of Michigan people who are more sensitive to written typos and grammatical errors are indeed the kinds of 'Type A assholes' everyone already suspects them to be."

https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/03...are-jerks?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 12:07 PM
(27-04-2016 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I would *axe* you to "eschew" using the (non-existant) word "askew".

Have you heard about this recent study:

"According to a study at the University of Michigan people who are more sensitive to written typos and grammatical errors are indeed the kinds of 'Type A assholes' everyone already suspects them to be."

I would probably agree with the study.

Your use of "askew" was not a "typo". It was pure and unadulterated ignorance of the English language.
Your dishonest attempt to conflate the two is another example of your slimy dishonesty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 12:21 PM
(27-04-2016 12:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Have you heard about this recent study:

I would probably agree with the study.

Your use of "askew" was not a "typo". It was pure and unadulterated ignorance of the English language.
Your dishonest attempt to conflate the two is another example of your slimy dishonesty.

Stop being so overtly sensitive dude, it'll probably make your life a whole lot easier.

But thank you for correcting my ignorance, and allowing me to learn of the difference between the eschew and askew. I'll try to keep that in mind next time.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 12:42 PM

I think I'm a Type B asshole.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-04-2016, 12:47 PM
(27-04-2016 11:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 10:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But you presume to know WHY people use the label "atheist." With regards to the scientific population, you take your presumptions (that are unfounded and unsubstantiated) about the general population of atheists and apply them. And you've provided exactly no support for this asinine assumption.

I observe the significance the individuals I read of, and interact with attach to being “atheist”, how they see it as distinguishing them for those that are not atheists. That they see it as what it means for them not to be ignorant, as Bucky put it, what it means for them to be see reality clearly, be truthful, be honest, not being deluded, being rational, not engaging in compartmentalization, they’re independence, sets them apart from the ignorant masses, not part of the herd, etc…

These are points routinely made by self-identifying atheists here, and else where. That that label means something to them, more than just a belief that God doesn’t exist, and an integral part of how they see themselves. The bucky that believes, to bucky would be an ignorant one.

Quote:To YOUR identify maybe. But YOU don't know the level of importance that literally any and everyone else assigns to a label regarding their religious opinion.

No, i just gauge the importance those that I read of interact with attach to this, and assume they are to some degree representative of the whole, until the gets befuddled. That's the assumption that I work with, given the hands I'm dealt.

Quote:Why do I use the term atheist and why are people here on an atheist forum? Because it is a word born out of necessity because theists have bent culture into thinking that the default position on a god(s) is to believe in one. Atheism no more describes who I am or what I believe or why, than labeling myself as a non-baseball player would, or an afairyest.

Is it important for you hold only true beliefs? Is it important for you to hold rational views, to think objectively, to only believe in solid scientifically based conclusions? Is it important for you not to be deluded, or ignorant?

"I observe the significance the individuals I read of, and interact with attach to being “atheist”, how they see it as distinguishing them for those that are not atheists."

When your observations are pointed out as either badly flawed or heavily presumptuous and that they don't reflect reality, your observations are useless.

"That they see it as what it means for them not to be ignorant, as Bucky put it, what it means for them to be see reality clearly, be truthful, be honest, not being deluded, being rational, not engaging in compartmentalization, they’re independence, sets them apart from the ignorant masses, not part of the herd, etc…"

That isn't a description of atheists, that is a description of a human. YOU injecting what YOU think it means when someone describes themselves as an atheist, is not dependent upon YOUR presumptions. Some mean "lacks a belief in a god" and literally ascribe nothing else to it, while still readily identifying as an atheist. For instance, that is all I mean.

"These are points routinely made by self-identifying atheists here, and else where."

And yet when other atheists routinely point out to you that this presumption you make doesn't describe them, you keep going with your bullshit generalization.

"That that label means something to them, more than just a belief that God doesn’t exist, and an integral part of how they see themselves. The bucky that believes, to bucky would be an ignorant one. "

Once again, no. YOU have no idea what they believe or don't believe or how significant the label "atheist" is to them. YOU assume it has importance and assign it for them, but that is YOUR bullshit.

"No, i just gauge the importance those that I read of interact with attach to this, and assume they are to some degree representative of the whole, until the gets befuddled. That's the assumption that I work with, given the hands I'm dealt. "

And your anecdotes are pointless. They tell me (or anyone) anything about reality, they only tell us about YOUR assumptions and bias. Give evidence to back up your claims if you want them taken as externally relevant to reality.

"Is it important for you hold only true beliefs?"

I have never met anyone that considers that unimportant. Do you think a belief in truth is a distinctly "atheist" opinion? If so, you're dumber than you appear.

"Is it important for you to hold rational views, to think objectively, to only believe in solid scientifically based conclusions? Is it important for you not to be deluded, or ignorant?"

My understanding of science and my views on rational and logical beliefs, are not my atheism. How many times do people need to tell you this? My atheism is a RESULT of my views and opinions. It is a LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD(S). It is no more defining than that. My scientific views are best described by the label "scientist." My beliefs in rationality and logic are best described with the label "realist" or "skeptic."

YOU assigning qualities to "atheism" or "atheist" based on your biased and ignorant observations does NOT mean that the generalizations you make about atheists, or scientists or atheists who are scientists, are correct. You have NEVER provided even a shred of evidence or data to support your bullshit.

YOU continue to make generalizations about atheists and atheism, and science and scientists that you have yet to:
1) provide evidence for
2) retract because it's bullshit

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-04-2016, 12:50 PM
(27-04-2016 12:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think I'm a Type B asshole.

Stop being so ignorant, dishonest, and overly sensitive. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
27-04-2016, 01:10 PM
(27-04-2016 12:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 12:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think I'm a Type B asshole.

Stop being so ignorant, dishonest, and overly sensitive. Drinking Beverage
[Image: mike.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-04-2016, 01:21 PM
(27-04-2016 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 12:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Stop being so ignorant, dishonest, and overly sensitive. Drinking Beverage
[Image: mike.gif]

Bite my shiny metal daffodil ass

-Rick
27-04-2016, 01:23 PM
(27-04-2016 12:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Is it important for you hold only true beliefs?"

I have never met anyone that considers that unimportant. Do you think a belief in truth is a distinctly "atheist" opinion? If so, you're dumber than you appear.

"Is it important for you to hold rational views, to think objectively, to only believe in solid scientifically based conclusions? Is it important for you not to be deluded, or ignorant?"

My understanding of science and my views on rational and logical beliefs, are not my atheism. How many times do people need to tell you this? My atheism is a RESULT of my views and opinions. It is a LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD(S). It is no more defining than that. My scientific views are best described by the label "scientist." My beliefs in rationality and logic are best described with the label "realist" or "skeptic."

YOU assigning qualities to "atheism" or "atheist" based on your biased and ignorant observations does NOT mean that the generalizations you make about atheists, or scientists or atheists who are scientists, are correct. You have NEVER provided even a shred of evidence or data to support your bullshit.

YOU continue to make generalizations about atheists and atheism, and science and scientists that you have yet to:
1) provide evidence for
2) retract because it's bullshit

Pointing out that you see your atheism as a result of being rational and logical, etc... doesn't negate the importance that being an atheist has for you. You're just pointing out why it's important to you, establishing the links. Undermining your atheism, would bring into question these very things that are important to you.

The result of truly being rational and logical is atheism, the result of being irrational and illogical is theism. It's important to see yourself as rational and logical, and not to see yourself as those that are illogical and irrational, which you already associate with theism. A shift now from atheism to theism, likely wouldn't be just a shift in a single belief, but a fundamental shift in who you are, in your sense of self. A man who looks like you sitting in the pews, weeping singing hymns, is not someone you would recognize as yourself.

When you seek to be around likeminded individuals, those that you can relate to, you likely seek that solidarity with other atheists, who you share a variety of values with, and a sense of how they perceive the world around them, which you likely identify with far better than most theists.