Theists answer me this.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Theists answer me this.
I am not the slightest bit interested what you claim in this thread. And also I am not limiting the responders to one religion, anyone of any god belief is welcome to chime in.

HERE is the question.

WHAT would be so frightening to you if you found out this was all there is and you found out you were finite and there was no after life?

You did not feel pain before you were born and you were also nothing before you were born. What would make you any different after you die and why do you think you are so important to everything prior and after?

Again, my interest IS NOT WHAT YOU CLAIM, but WHY you feel the need to hold that position.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: Theists answer me this.
There arent that many theists arround to get a good answere.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
10-01-2014, 06:16 PM
(10-01-2014 06:09 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  There arent that many theists arround to get a good answere.

Meh, I think there are far more lurkers than participants, but even if only atheists read this that is good too because I can remember I time I didn't ponder this aspect myself.

Do you really think even if a theists responds they will have a good answer?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
10-01-2014, 06:21 PM
(10-01-2014 06:16 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Do you really think even if a theists responds they will have a good answer?

Someone in a skyscraper on a day in mid september once said: "Do you really believe a plane could hit this building?"

Dont underestemate the intellect of a person on the basis of his or her social affiliations!

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
10-01-2014, 07:08 PM
(10-01-2014 06:21 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 06:16 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Do you really think even if a theists responds they will have a good answer?

Someone in a skyscraper on a day in mid september once said: "Do you really believe a plane could hit this building?"

Dont underestemate the intellect of a person on the basis of his or her social affiliations!

I don't which is why I piss lots of people off.

10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I can answer as a former believer:

Yes, I was disturbed by the thought of no afterlife. It was a feeling of "what's the point" since all of my experiences and memories would be for nothing.

I was listening to a TED talk the other day that explained how people tend to deal with their mortality. First, the religious have the afterlife. Others tend to try to live on through their works (building companies, conquests, etc.) as a form of immortality and others try to live on through their offspring.
10-01-2014, 07:39 PM
(10-01-2014 07:24 PM)jaxx Wrote:  I can answer as a former believer:

Yes, I was disturbed by the thought of no afterlife. It was a feeling of "what's the point" since all of my experiences and memories would be for nothing.

I was listening to a TED talk the other day that explained how people tend to deal with their mortality. First, the religious have the afterlife. Others tend to try to live on through their works (building companies, conquests, etc.) as a form of immortality and others try to live on through their offspring.

This is our evolutionary narcissism, our infantile desire for the mother's nipple.

It really is as Shakespeare rightfully said in Macbeth act 5 scene 5 "a flurry of activity, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

On it's face, if one wants to see that as depressing, they will. Even as an atheist I have thought about "calling it quits", not for the same reason of "what is the point"? But more along the lines of, "I don't like the pain I am in now."

Our survival, and all life for that matter strives to continue. Humans have a much more evolved sense of self awareness, but in reality we will, as all life will, meet an end just as our sun will.

I do not find being finite depressing. It would be as absurd as finding summer changing to fall depressing. I find pain, physical and emotional much more realistic to get upset about than thinking stupidly that there is a utopia at all.

So the question atheists get from sky hero fans all the time is "if there is no meaning to all this then what is the point"?

People go to movies not knowing the plot or ending and know it will end eventually. People go to sporting events and root for a team not knowing who will win and know that the game will eventually end.

Humans stupidly get lost in the fantasy of a fictional "Never ending story" which makes them devalue the finite story of reality, the one thing they know they have.

10-01-2014, 07:42 PM
(10-01-2014 06:07 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am not the slightest bit interested what you claim in this thread. And also I am not limiting the responders to one religion, anyone of any god belief is welcome to chime in.

HERE is the question.

WHAT would be so frightening to you if you found out this was all there is and you found out you were finite and there was no after life?

You did not feel pain before you were born and you were also nothing before you were born. What would make you any different after you die and why do you think you are so important to everything prior and after?

Again, my interest IS NOT WHAT YOU CLAIM, but WHY you feel the need to hold that position.
It seems to me like those are loaded questions. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't think it's stupidity, I think it's a potentially valuable evolutionary tool for dealing with our mortality--there's a benefit.
10-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Loaded how?

How is asking "Why do you feel you need to have a sky hero"? Loaded?

I know people claim all sorts of deities, so? Is it "loaded" to ask them WHY they feel the need to cling to superstition without a lick of evidence to confirm fact?

Under their god claims horrible things still happen and always have. I'd say the universe looks exactly like it should if there were not a magical sky hero.