Theists answer me this.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
RE: Theists answer me this.
(10-01-2014 07:51 PM)jaxx Wrote:  I don't think it's stupidity, I think it's a potentially valuable evolutionary tool for dealing with our mortality--there's a benefit.

No, otherwise if religion were fact based upon success then the sun would be a god because the Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around the false belief that the sun was a thinking god.

"Beneficial" only in a very ignorant tribal uneducated sense. Evolution isn't concerned about the educated or dumb, both can fuck and make babies.

Dawkins describes this "benefit" in his book "The God Delusion" much like a moth mistaking a light bulb for moonlight. That mistake can provide an opportunity to make offspring, but it does not make the light bulb the moon in reality.

Religion is a very childish and primitive reflection of human ignorance. Whatever "success" it provides in making offspring suffers because humans find more comfort in filling gaps more than they do with scary reality and the challenge of inquiry. It always takes the skeptic and questioner to drag humans out of delusion and superstition to make progress.

So to me there is no "benefit" to god belief other than selfish breeding purposes. Army ants survive by killing other insects and other colonies, but can also because of their ignorance, end up in dry river beds only to be flooded and die because of seasonal rain.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I wasn't talking about religion per se; just the fact that people make up narratives to give their lives purpose.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
10-01-2014, 08:20 PM
(10-01-2014 08:01 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Loaded how?
Your questions are loaded because they are based on unsubstantiated assumptions (e.g. that the respondent is frightened of finding out that this life is all there is to it).

A better approach would be to ask people what they believe before asking them why they believe it.

(10-01-2014 08:01 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  How is asking "Why do you feel you need to have a sky hero"? Loaded?

I know people claim all sorts of deities, so? Is it "loaded" to ask them WHY they feel the need to cling to superstition without a lick of evidence to confirm fact?

Under their god claims horrible things still happen and always have. I'd say the universe looks exactly like it should if there were not a magical sky hero.
Those are not the questions you asked in the post I quoted.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 08:45 PM
(10-01-2014 08:18 PM)jaxx Wrote:  I wasn't talking about religion per se; just the fact that people make up narratives to give their lives purpose.

So? If humans would accept that their delusions were simply their own fantasies and refrained from the political tribalism called religion, I would agree with you. The problem is that it isn't simply someone saying " I prefer Harry Potter over Star Wars, and that is what I get my rocks off over".

Religion is political Dungeons and Dragons combined with real weapons and real death. If other peoples fantasies didn't affect me I wouldn't give a shit less, but they do so I have no choice but to confront superstition.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2014, 09:13 PM
(10-01-2014 06:07 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am not the slightest bit interested what you claim in this thread. And also I am not limiting the responders to one religion, anyone of any god belief is welcome to chime in.

HERE is the question.

WHAT would be so frightening to you if you found out this was all there is and you found out you were finite and there was no after life?

You did not feel pain before you were born and you were also nothing before you were born. What would make you any different after you die and why do you think you are so important to everything prior and after?

Again, my interest IS NOT WHAT YOU CLAIM, but WHY you feel the need to hold that position.

There is no way to "Find Out". I can simply choose not to believe. If I did that then it wouldn't matter. None of your questions would be relevant to me.
20-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm a biblical theist.
Nothing would frighten me if this was all there is and there was no after life.
I imagine it would be quite liberating.
21-01-2014, 03:54 AM
(20-01-2014 09:13 PM)anidominus Wrote:  There is no way to "Find Out". I can simply choose not to believe. If I did that then it wouldn't matter. None of your questions would be relevant to me.

How cute, another theist who thinks belief is a choice rather an obligate condition based on our knowledge of the available evidence...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-01-2014, 07:08 AM
I don't remember a lot of specifics of my grade school catholic upbringing (school run by nuns, all the teachers were nuns, daily religion classes) but the one thing that stuck is that without belief humans were worthless. Belief was the biggest virtue anyone could have. Of course one mustn't believe in false gods, but it was one step up from heathens.

Believing was simply the biggest virtue, and someone who didn't believe was an outcast and to be avoided.

I am still in contact with some of my class mates, and they unwaveringly believe. They cannot imagine not believing.

It is belief that needs to be drummed into you at an early age - unconditional, unquestioning belief. Once that is properly installed, the rest is a piece of cake. After that, everything, such as heaven, is immediately assumed to be fact.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-01-2014, 10:45 AM
(21-01-2014 03:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 09:13 PM)anidominus Wrote:  There is no way to "Find Out". I can simply choose not to believe. If I did that then it wouldn't matter. None of your questions would be relevant to me.

How cute, another theist who thinks belief is a choice rather an obligate condition based on our knowledge of the available evidence...

And all Juries reach a verdict. smh. Athiest.....
21-01-2014, 11:00 AM
(21-01-2014 10:45 AM)anidominus Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 03:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How cute, another theist who thinks belief is a choice rather an obligate condition based on our knowledge of the available evidence...

And all Juries reach a verdict. smh. Athiest.....

Then go the fuck away, illiterate troll.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop