Theists fail to understand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Theists fail to understand
I don't understand most all languages except my own and a little french.
I don't understand women sometimes, ok most of the time.

I fail at dropping in on the half pipe in skate boarding.

I do understand a persons need for security and or fear of the unknown.
I understand the idea of a mental security blanket that watches over you as you sleep in your most vulnerable moments in life.
I understand how babies are made. I don't fully know all the exact biological details of how sperm and egg interact, but i get the gist of it.
I understand that the protein involved in attaching to the uterine wall in placenta mammals came from viral DNA millions of years ago and it's this DNA copied from a virus that allowed placental mammals like us to give birth this way.

I understand elements of evolution, but i don't know all the details. I do however understand the change in population genetics over time and that it is a theory in the most scientific terms, meaning that it explains what we observe in great detail and contains useful and predictive tools that are used in biology every day.

I understand the concept of god
What i don't understand are theists who can't seem to understand. They can't make the connections.
The dots, even when numbered seem like a foreign concept to them.
There seems to be some element of brain chemistry that blocks reason and rational thought.
It's as if the two halves of the brain aren't communicating very well.

It's like watching a child trying to put a square peg in a round hole and waiting for them to see the square hole and make the connection. "Oh this goes here. It fits"
But instead, all I see is this mounting frustration trying to make something fit and a refusal to observe anything else.

I am mind boggled most of the time when I read a theists post and I have to wonder if this is really about how they were raised or is this about brain chemistry and the inability to make logical connections to reality.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
01-03-2013, 05:48 AM
RE: Theists fail to understand
(01-03-2013 05:40 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I understand elements of evolution, but i don't know all the details. I do however understand the change in population genetics over time and that it is a theory in the most scientific terms, meaning that it explains what we observe in great detail and contains useful and predictive tools that are used in biology every day.

A theory based on facts and sound logic is itself a fact.
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
This:

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't get it either.

I'm wondering if it's possible that it could be genetic, physiological in some way. I wonder if certain brains just cannot be blinded by faith and certain brains just cannot be otherwise.

OK, I doubt that's true. Too many atheists who are ex-theists for that to make much sense, but maybe it's not black-and-white, maybe it's not a matter of "cannot" but rather a matter of "likely".

I am sure the "get them while they're young" relies heavily on the fact that the frontal lobe, the part of our brain that examines facts, correlates data, and makes logical, rational decisions, doesn't develop until we're in our early 20's. So indoctrinating children means they cannot rationally evaluate the indoctrination so they are far more susceptible to it - try the same thing on the same person but wait until they're in their mid-20s and it's a much harder task to indoctrinate them.

But maybe that's not the whole picture. Maybe the frontal lobes are more developed or more active in some people than in others. Maybe this development or activity makes some people evaluate religion as nonsense while the lack of that development or activity makes some people never attempt, or never succeed, at the same evaluation.

I'm no neuroscientist so I'm just talking out of my ass, but I wonder if there is any such (or other) physiological reason for it, and also for why the most die-hard theists, the most outspoken, often seem to be the least rational of them all.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
~the frontal lobe, the part of our brain that examines facts, correlates
data, and makes logical, rational decisions, doesn't develop until we're
in our early 20's."

Doesn't finish developing.

I realize the video I posted is rather long but that's because there is a lot of information in it that would go a long way toward you not having to fish around in your ass for something to say.

Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
(01-03-2013 05:48 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 05:40 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I understand elements of evolution, but i don't know all the details. I do however understand the change in population genetics over time and that it is a theory in the most scientific terms, meaning that it explains what we observe in great detail and contains useful and predictive tools that are used in biology every day.

A theory based on facts and sound logic is itself a fact.

Sound logic isn't always true.

All birds fly
Penguins are birds
Therefore penguins fly

Clearly not a fact.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
(01-03-2013 08:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 05:48 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A theory based on facts and sound logic is itself a fact.

Sound logic isn't always true.

All birds fly
Penguins are birds
Therefore penguins fly

Clearly not a fact.
Your first premise is demonstrably false. So while the argument is valid, the conclusion is not true. Had it been a fact that all birds fly, then the conclusion would have been also been a fact.
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Given that you seem to understand the validity of logical arguments and seem to have the ability to spot flaws in them, how are you still a theist ?

Is your brain so compartmentalized that it uses reason and logic for certain aspects of your life but when it comes to religion and science, it shuts down ?

Many people believe in supernatural explanations because they can't deal with an empty space.
That empty space of not knowing is what causes children to fear that something is in their closet or under their bed.
They can't see into those places while they are in bed, so the mind fills that void with whatever the child imagines.
Since the child is in the dark and scared, the void is filled with monsters.

As adults when some of us can't find an explanation, instead of saying "I don't know", that void gets filled with the supernatural.

Take a long look at what you believe and try to put it into other terms.

Turn god into a green apple and see if you would still believe that an omnipotent, all loving green apple could have created the universe.
Could a small all seeing raspberry be watching over you at night ?
Should I even bring up spaghetti Smile

Believe what can be demonstrated through evidence.
Examine the world again through fresh eyes and see what you see.
When you come across something you don't know, write that down. "I don't know this"
Come back to it at a later date and examine it more clearly.

As a father who has raised a child, I am interested in having people understand the world around them instead of making up stuff to fill the void of what they don't understand.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Consider

As you can see below, the theist is right...

This shape [] fits easily into this shape O

Once you have an answer, you can stop looking for a real solution.

02-03-2013, 01:34 PM
(01-03-2013 05:40 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I am mind boggled most of the time when I read a theists post and I have to wonder if this is really about how they were raised or is this about brain chemistry and the inability to make logical connections to reality.

Being irrational is common and normal. The average person is delusional about one thing or another. Sure, we may not buy into theism, but are you certain that you haven't made the same mistake in another area? This is why we have to be careful about judging others, especially as a stereotype.

If you are honestly baffled about how someone can hold beliefs that don't make sense, then I would recommend a study of cognitive dissonance. I love the book Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me, as well as The Believing Brain. These books go a long way to show how our bias shapes our perceptions, leading us to believe foolish things while keeping us unable to recognize our mistakes or correct them.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.