Theists must think we're complete morons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2015, 10:35 AM
RE: Theists must think we're complete morons
(16-10-2015 11:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  "Don't do this list of things under these circumstances for roughly seventy years, and recieve complete and total bliss for literally forever, which makes said seventy years look like a fraction of a blink of an eye. Do this list of things under these circumstances and be sent to unimaginable torture for literally forever." Who the hell picks the second option on that? Who on Earth would seriously willingly pick eternal pain instead of eternal happiness, all for just the tiniest amount of time doing some specific things that presumably pale in comparison to said eternal happiness?

What I find interesting is typically, they don't act as if their "roughly seventy years" is a tiny blip of fleeting time. If this life were indeed a tiny dress rehearsal for the eternal play to come, one would think more of them would spend every waking hour of their lives helping the poor and unfortunate, or witnessing to people in hopes of converting as many souls as possible to their beliefs. What could possibly be more important than making the sufficient appropriations to this divinity to come? What's 70 years of this activity compared to the shiny reward of a blissful eternity?

Funny thing is most of them have jobs, wait in line at the DMV, pay taxes, pick up dog poop off the lawn, plan for the future, and do the myriad other things one would think would be a colossal waste of time if one truly believed this life is significant only to the degree it prepares one for eternity.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2015, 10:35 AM
(17-10-2015 10:32 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If sin is only when you do harm to another. What about animals? Are they people? Are we animals? What's the difference?

Watch this one and comment again:

(Don't worry, it's less than 2 minutes long.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-10-2015, 10:42 AM
(17-10-2015 10:29 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Christians can eat whatever animal they want.

Really? Can they eat meat offered to other gods? Paul was ambiguous on this at best and some Christians I know will abstain from eating things like halal food.
17-10-2015, 10:45 AM
So even among atheist there is no true standard of what is truly right and what is truly wrong. Some people may believe that sin is only when you do harm to another. Some think that people are animals and animals are people so killing an animal would be equal to murder. Some people say it is ok to hunt for food but not for sport. Others say raising animals on a farm for food is a sin. What would the atheist solution be to make sure the whole world was on the same page. Am I a sinner because I like to eat ribeye steak that was raised on a farm and killed on an assembly line? If so, who are you to judge? Under what reason can I be judged?
17-10-2015, 10:47 AM
(17-10-2015 10:45 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So even among atheist there is no true standard of what is truly right and what is truly wrong. Some people may believe that sin is only when you do harm to another. Some think that people are animals and animals are people so killing an animal would be equal to murder. Some people say it is ok to hunt for food but not for sport. Others say raising animals on a farm for food is a sin. What would the atheist solution be to make sure the whole world was on the same page. Am I a sinner because I like to eat ribeye steak that was raised on a farm and killed on an assembly line? If so, who are you to judge? Under what reason can I be judged?

Right and wrong is a social construct--not a biblical one. There are many different views of right and wrong among atheists, just as you will find many views of right and wrong among theists.

In terms of judging others--even the Bible tells you not to do that. Wink
17-10-2015, 10:49 AM
What about consensual sex with a minor?
17-10-2015, 10:50 AM
What about abortion?
17-10-2015, 10:52 AM
(17-10-2015 10:45 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So even among atheist there is no true standard of what is truly right and what is truly wrong. Some people may believe that sin is only when you do harm to another. Some think that people are animals and animals are people so killing an animal would be equal to murder. Some people say it is ok to hunt for food but not for sport. Others say raising animals on a farm for food is a sin. What would the atheist solution be to make sure the whole world was on the same page. Am I a sinner because I like to eat ribeye steak that was raised on a farm and killed on an assembly line? If so, who are you to judge? Under what reason can I be judged?

Why would there be for atheists, there is no real standard for the religious. That's the case while religions have some books with rules in them that they generally agreed upon to be a principal standard or an objective measure.

A solution to make sure the whole world is on the same page? That would seemingly require it being seen as something to need a solution.

Plenty of folks you'll find don't believe in a concept of sin/Good&bad at all. You are also using a lot of atheist as if it's some unified group viewing. It's really not unified, it's very much like herding cats, and that's not necessarily something negative depending on ones outlook.

It's the theists, or certain theists, who have these concepts of sin/evil that they are suggesting at times that non-believers want to relish in. Perhaps not realizing the others don't agree that the world works that way.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-10-2015, 10:52 AM
What about lying to someone?
17-10-2015, 10:58 AM
You are missing the point that I am trying to make? How are atheist different from theist when it comes to the inability determine what is right and what is wrong? If there is no God or heaven or hell, and we are all inevitably meeting the same fate no mater how we live our lives then what is the point? Why live a "good life"? Why not just do whatever you want when you want? Who cares if it harms others if we will eventually cease to exist anyway?