Theists must think we're complete morons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2015, 02:09 PM
RE: Theists must think we're complete morons
(17-10-2015 02:01 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 01:51 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  The only truth about morality is that it doesn't exist. There are no moral truths.f

Is your statement objectively true?

Yes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2015, 02:13 PM
(17-10-2015 02:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 01:59 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Those are actually very interesting points and they make sense. I can't argue with that logic. Which leads me to a very legitimate question (not playing devil's advocate I am for real this time) how did some of these values arise that are completely contradictory to human nature.... revenge, sexual immorality, greed, ect..?

'Cause human nature ain't that simple. Doctor Jimmy and Mister Jim shit and whatnot.

Wow. A song about raping women. That is really messed up. I am glad nobody heard me listen to that at work. Confused
17-10-2015, 02:52 PM
I saw the thread title and the OP's comments and immediately thought of this video. The woman caller is an idiot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-10-2015, 02:58 PM
(17-10-2015 02:13 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 02:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Cause human nature ain't that simple. Doctor Jimmy and Mister Jim shit and whatnot.

Wow. A song about raping women. That is really messed up. I am glad nobody heard me listen to that at work. Confused

You never heard of The Who? That's the canonical classic about the tension in human nature between good and evil. I of course transcend both good and evil. I am Übermensch.

#sigh
17-10-2015, 03:01 PM
(17-10-2015 01:59 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Those are actually very interesting points and they make sense. I can't argue with that logic. Which leads me to a very legitimate question (not playing devil's advocate I am for real this time) how did some of these values arise that are completely contradictory to human nature.... revenge, sexual immorality, greed, ect..?

None of those qualities are contradictory to human nature. All of those qualities are part of human nature that have contributed to survival of individuals and tribes.

Sexual immorality: makes more humans. Revenge: protects tribe members by eliminating threats to survival and intimidating enemies. Greed: accumulates resources that can be used in tough times. What we could call negative outcomes also happen, of course. (Sexual immorality can spread disease and weaken family units, revenge can lead to counter-revenge and war, greed can keep resources out of the hands of people that need them, etc.)
17-10-2015, 03:09 PM
(17-10-2015 02:09 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 02:01 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Is your statement objectively true?

Yes.

So if a principle can be objectively true, why can't moral principles be objectively true?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-10-2015, 03:12 PM
(17-10-2015 02:09 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 02:01 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Is your statement objectively true?

Yes.

There is no such thing as "objective truth". All "truth" is relative to its axiomatic framework. Like by definition and shit.

#sigh
17-10-2015, 03:36 PM
(17-10-2015 03:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 02:09 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Yes.

There is no such thing as "objective truth". All "truth" is relative to its axiomatic framework. Like by definition and shit.

So truth is subjective then?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-10-2015, 03:45 PM
(17-10-2015 03:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 03:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no such thing as "objective truth". All "truth" is relative to its axiomatic framework. Like by definition and shit.

So truth is subjective then?

Not subjective. Relative to an axiomatic framework is not the same as subjective.

#sigh
17-10-2015, 03:55 PM
(17-10-2015 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 03:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  So truth is subjective then?

Not subjective. Relative to an axiomatic framework is not the same as subjective.

What is the axiomatic framework? On my view there are only a handful of true axioms? I feel like I'm on the verge here of solving a problem that has vexed me for quite some time.