Theists on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Theists on this forum
For many of you, your first time here, as a theist, it might have been a bit overwhelming.
I would have imagined anyone delving into a forum, in which so many people who did not believe as you believed, might have felt uneasy at the least and maybe constantly offended at the most.

I am however curious to know if your time here has changed or softened your stance with regards to your religious beliefs ?
Did you come here thinking that Noah's ark was completely true and now you realize "ok that is a bit unbelievable" ?
Maybe you even hold a firm belief in god but also accept that the bible is a complete work of man, comprised of fiction and non-fiction, with entertaining stories along side horrific immoral tales of genocide, slavery and callous disregard for humanity.
Maybe nothing has changed your mind at all.

As an atheist, this forum has changed my viewpoint in subtle ways, more refined and eye opening in other ways.
As a theist, has this forum changed you ? If so, to what degree and how do you feel about that ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 08:23 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: Theists on this forum
(10-02-2013 07:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  As an atheist, this forum has changed my viewpoint in subtle ways, more refined and eye opening in other ways.
Allow me to derail the thread with this post, and whatever post that might reply to this one.

Out of curiosity, are these changes towards a more 'positive' or 'negative' viewpoint?

"Interacting with atheists has shown me more and useful ways to approach the world" or "Interacting with atheists has shown me that they can be just as intellectually and morally bankrupt as any zealot theist"
10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Rahn,

What an excellent way to get these deviants to self-identify.

Mods,

Can we get some kind of yellow badge put on the avatar of whoever confesses to theism?

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
(10-02-2013 08:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Rahn,

What an excellent way to get these deviants to self-identify.

Mods,

Can we get some kind of yellow badge put on the avatar of whoever confesses to theism?

Yes

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't understand why they would want to be here to begin with besides just wanted to troll and cause trouble.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
(10-02-2013 09:24 AM)smidgen Wrote:  I don't understand why they would want to be here to begin with besides just wanted to troll and cause trouble.

Ohmy

KC?

Are you there?

All yours, bro.

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
(10-02-2013 09:24 AM)smidgen Wrote:  I don't understand why they would want to be here to begin with besides just wanted to troll and cause trouble.
... learn more of the viewpoints of an atheist? Understand how we think? Or just up for a nice discussion? We have some awesome theists here over the past years Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 11:23 AM by Adenosis.)
Exposure to an atheist community would typically increase the standard of evidence I would think, this is what happened to me at least. I believed some pretty interesting things before. I derailed off that path because science is important to me, without looking at the universe as a puzzle to be solved, things seem pretty bleak. So naturally my standard of evidence required for claims went up. I stopped myself from 'interpreting' things like articles or bits of information how I previously did. It's scary how compelled a person is to support/justfy their delusion/belief in any way they can. Until I openly questioned everything, I didn't realize I had been doing that. Any ways, a while after that I found this forum. This is definitely a step up from other communities I have seen online, logic, rational reasoning and following evidence (not leading evidence) is required to see things for what they are, not for what you want them to be. This is one thought that has strengthened since I have joined the forum.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 4 users Like Adenosis's post
10-02-2013, 11:42 AM
(10-02-2013 10:47 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
... learn more of the viewpoints of an atheist? Understand how we think? Or just up for a nice discussion? We have some awesome theists here over the past years Big Grin
I guess I'm just not used to it because my friends don't seem to really care what my view points are they just say that they are wrong and I shouldn't think this way. Undecided

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
(10-02-2013 11:42 AM)smidgen Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 10:47 AM)robotworld Wrote:  ... learn more of the viewpoints of an atheist? Understand how we think? Or just up for a nice discussion? We have some awesome theists here over the past years Big Grin
I guess I'm just not used to it because my friends don't seem to really care what my view points are they just say that they are wrong and I shouldn't think this way. Undecided
fixt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post