Theists on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: Theists on this forum
(14-02-2013 05:28 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:27 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Gnostic Atheism is. Agnostic atheism is not. Are you aware of the difference?

Agnostic and Atheist are two different words. Yes. I'm aware of the difference.

(13-02-2013 04:00 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  ...atheist is an answer to a question.."is there a god?"
And the answer is an unsupported, probabalistic statement of belief.

I was asking if you understood the difference between gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism, I'll take it you don't. Agnostic atheism is the lack of belief in a god (Not making a claim, rejecting a claim), while gnostic atheism believes there is no god (Making a claim).

Matt Dillahunty explains this well, if someone can attach the video of his court analogy.

Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive. People that label themselves agnostic are still atheists under the definition of atheism that I accept. Anyone that believes a god exists is a theist, everyone else is an atheist.

Gnostic = certainty, knowing,
Agnostic = uncertainty, not knowing.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I have no problem with atheists admitting their lack of knowledge and uncertainty about God.
14-02-2013, 07:08 PM
(14-02-2013 07:04 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I have no problem with atheists admitting their lack of knowledge and uncertainty about God.
You can't have knowledge about something that doesn't exist.

You can make up stories about it though.

Sadly, Xtians' stories aren't even that good.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
14-02-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 08:08 PM by Adenosis.)
(14-02-2013 07:04 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I have no problem with atheists admitting their lack of knowledge and uncertainty about God.

Good for you. I was adressing this.
(14-02-2013 05:13 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I think atheism is a belief. A belief in the "no God hypothesis"

You are ignorant of the difference between believing in a claim (Guilty), rejecting the claim (Not-Guilty), and beliving the opposite of the claim (Innocent). Most atheists (Agnostic Atheists) make no claim, and so there is no belief.

In respect to the claim that there is a god,
guilty = theism,
not guilty = agnostic atheism,
and innocent = gnostic atheism.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

15-02-2013, 06:21 AM
(14-02-2013 05:27 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Gnostic Atheism is. Agnostic atheism is not. Are you aware of the difference?

1) Agnostic and Atheist are two different words. Yes. I'm aware of the difference.

(13-02-2013 04:00 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  ...atheist is an answer to a question.."is there a god?"

2) And the answer is an unsupported, probabalistic statement of belief.
1) So are the words "yellow" and "ball". Combine the two together though and you describe a ball that is also yellow.

Just like combining the words atheist and agnostic get you an atheist who is agnostic.

2) No, in the case of Agnostic Atheism, the answer is "I don't know, but I doubt it."
[+] 1 user Likes hedgehog648's post
15-02-2013, 06:33 AM

[Image: 34897713.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-02-2013, 11:20 AM

And the answer is an unsupported, probabalistic statement of belief.
It doesnt need to be supported, since God is the claim being made and I am not the claimant of the so called God(s) hypothesis. It would be like me saying "I was abducted last night by aliens" and then I ask you to prove that I wasnt.
I take the default position if I were you, which is. "I doubt it, yet I do not know for sure that you are lying". When a claim is extraordinary, it needs extraordinary evidence, wouldnt you agree? My claim is in reaction to your claim, there is nothing extraordinary about my position, unless you think being Aleprechaunists, Adragonist, or Afairyist is also not extraordinary.
Probability is best and only method of determining that something is true or not. Asserting things is a by product of a lazy mind.

Belief...sure I dont have a problem with that,

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
17-02-2013, 11:56 PM
(15-02-2013 11:20 AM)StorMFront Wrote:  ...It would be like me saying "I was abducted last night by aliens" and then I ask you to prove that I wasnt...

Why do I have to prove you werent abducted by aliens? Maybe you really were.

1. You claim it happened.
2. I admit it's possible.
3. You seem like an honest person.
4. Nobody is forcing me to accept your claim.
5. If I dont believe you its my free choice.

Its all good. Where's the downside?
18-02-2013, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2013 12:57 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(17-02-2013 11:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(15-02-2013 11:20 AM)StorMFront Wrote:  ...It would be like me saying "I was abducted last night by aliens" and then I ask you to prove that I wasnt...

Why do I have to prove you werent abducted by aliens? Maybe you really were.

Because if we accepted it as FACT, that this did indeed happen, it would irrevocable change history. It would be cause for the UN and many other nations to invest in anti-abduction programs, and the creation of a multinational global defense initiative to protect ourselves from extraterrestrial attacks. Irrefutable proof that not only are we no longer alone in the universe, but that they are taking us against our will? This would by one of the largest paradigm shifts in all of human history.

There is a reason we don't live in a real life version of XCOM, and it is the burden of proof, you poor retarded jackass...

Needless to say, we're going to want better evidence for it than just his word. The only reason you don't demand better evidence is because it has been hammered into you that the Gospels are truth, so you lack objectivity. You refuse to acknowledge anything that disagree with your preconceptions, instead looking only for whatever flimsy scrap of evidence will support your a priori conclusion. It is both intellectually lazy and disingenuous.

Wake up, just because you've always been told the Gospels are true does not make them such. You still have the burden of proof, and your chosen method of dealing with it thus far is to deny it and try yo shift the burden. Sorry, doesn't work that way, and the last 55 pages have been nothing but an extended retreat on your part. You are full of shit, please go away.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
18-02-2013, 12:47 AM
(18-02-2013 12:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-02-2013 11:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why do I have to prove you werent abducted by aliens? Maybe you really were.

Because if we accepted it as FACT, that this did indeed happen, it would irrevocable change history. It would be cause for the UN and many other nations to invest in anti-abduction programs, and the creation of a multinational global defense initiative to protect ourselves from extraterrestrial attacks. Irrefutable proof that not only are we no longer alone in the universe, but that they are taking us against our will? This would by one of the largest paradigm shifts in all of human history.

There is a reason we don't live in a real life version of XCOM, and it is the burden of proof, you poor retarded jackass...

Needless to say, we're going to want better evidence for it than just his word. The only reason you don't demand better evidence is because it has been hammered into you that the Gospel are truth, so you lack objectivity. You refuse to acknowledge anything that disagree with your preconceptions, instead looking only for whatever flimsy scrap of evidence will support your a priori conclusion. It is both intellectually lazy and disingenuous.
lol thanks for filling him in....

Wow Lion....just wow..

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.