Theists on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Theists on this forum
(11-02-2013 07:07 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why would I believe in God if the bible was mad-made? Why would I believe in God if His Word contained fiction?
Because you want to believe it? Because you are unable to deal with your own mortality? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
12-02-2013, 01:25 PM
(12-02-2013 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 10:11 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  The bible's outdated! Everyone knows the Qur'an is the final word of god. Why would so many people believe in it if it was mad(sic)-made?

Next question, please.

How can you even think that? The Book of Mormon supersedes all.
Isn't there a Book of Ego® yet?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
(11-02-2013 07:07 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why would I believe in God if the bible was mad-made? Why would I believe in God if His Word contained fiction?

Since the bible is man-made and does contain fiction, then logically you wouldn't believe in god according to your own words.

But and this is a big BUT, since you do believe, that simply makes you stupid.

The reason why.......You're stupid.

Not stupid in the rude sense but in the intellectual sense of having something right before your very own eyes and not being able to discern the fantasy it contains from the reality that you experience on a daily basis.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
12-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't mind that theists are here. It's a challenge to our intellect and keeps us on our toes.

What I do mind are theists using these forums as a place of evangelism without asking (meaning, without a member of the community expressing interest or raising the debate). I just simply don't want to hear it here when I am among friends.

Maybe that doesn't matter because of free speech on this forum but damn, it's aggravating.
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
12-02-2013, 11:06 PM
(12-02-2013 10:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
Because you want to believe it? Because you are unable to deal with your own mortality? Consider

The argument cuts both ways surely. Can't atheists be accused of imagining that God doesnt exist so they dont have to worry about the possibility of an afterlife reckoning?

Besides, if the bible was man-made, invented, fictitious, it wouldnt be any consolation to those who fear death.

Deliberately imagining God, as a sort of pain relief, would only provide imaginary comfort.

Tooth ache? Here, take two imaginary aspirin tablets and call me in the morning.
Thanks Doc. But in order for a placebo effect, dont you need to tell me they are real aspirin?
12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
(12-02-2013 10:45 PM)kpax Wrote:  I don't mind that theists are here. It's a challenge to our intellect and keeps us on our toes.

What I do mind are theists using these forums as a place of evangelism without asking (meaning, without a member of the community expressing interest or raising the debate). I just simply don't want to hear it here when I am among friends.

Maybe that doesn't matter because of free speech on this forum but damn, it's aggravating.

I see what you did there. *wink*
12-02-2013, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 03:57 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 10:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Because you want to believe it? Because you are unable to deal with your own mortality? Consider

The argument cuts both ways surely. Can't atheists be accused of imagining that God doesnt exist so they dont have to worry about the possibility of an afterlife reckoning?

Besides, if the bible was man-made, invented, fictitious, it wouldnt be any consolation to those who fear death.

Deliberately imagining God, as a sort of pain relief, would only provide imaginary comfort.

Tooth ache? Here, take two imaginary aspirin tablets and call me in the morning.
Thanks Doc. But in order for a placebo effect, dont you need to tell me they are real aspirin?

The point being Pussycat IRC, is that you keep taking the pills thinking they are aspirin, thinking that they HAVE to be aspirin because they appear to work for you and you've been raised to 'know' that they are in fact aspirin pills. We're the ones telling you that they're really just sugar pills, and we have evidence to prove they're just sugar pills, and everything you've been feeling is in your head...

:EDIT:

And those that did deliberately imagine gods still did so for their own benefit. Whether for their own sake of needing to 'know', or that power that such 'knowledge' gave them over their fellow tribesmen. Belief in gods and spirits easily predate any organized religion, and most likely stems from our evolved predilection to paranoia and fear (which helped to keep our ancient ancestors alive). It easily became ingrained and unquestioned, but even those who did learn enough to questions it personally, could have affirmed it publicly for their own benefit. Look at the Catholic Church, look at the immense amount of wealth and temporal power they hold through selling people the promise of the afterlife. The Pope could be an atheists, and the organization could continue to operate as is with no discernible change. It offers wealth and power in this life, and if you don't believe in the next, that might be enough to get anybody to go alone with just being a cog in the machine.

The person selling you the sugar pill as an aspirin could still gain from doing so, even if he knew it wasn't aspirin. This is the very core of being a charlatan, and when you break down religion, it is organized and systematic charlatanism. They sell you the promise of the next world, so they can steal this one; and you're handing it over to them on a silver platter while bending over and saying "please sir, I'd like some more"...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Im sadist atheist looking for a sadist theist to verbally assault with reason and semi intelligent debate on the existence of Nanabozho....must be on that god...

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
13-02-2013, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 01:04 AM by fstratzero.)
(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 10:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Because you want to believe it? Because you are unable to deal with your own mortality? Consider

The bible is man-made. God is a placebo, and are not all emotions products of minds?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
13-02-2013, 01:08 AM
(12-02-2013 11:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The argument cuts both ways surely. Can't atheists be accused of imagining that God doesnt exist so they dont have to worry about the possibility of an afterlife reckoning?

The point being Pussycat IRC, is that you keep taking the pills thinking they are aspirin, thinking that they HAVE to be aspirin because they appear to work for you and you've been raised to 'know' that they are in fact aspirin pills. We're the ones telling you that they're really just sugar pills, and we have evidence to prove they're just sugar pills, and everything you've been feeling is in your head...

:EDIT:

And those that did deliberately imagine gods still did so for their own benefit. Whether for their own sake of needing to 'know', or that power that such 'knowledge' gave them over their fellow tribesmen. Belief in gods and spirits easily predate any organized religion, and most likely stems from our evolution predilection to paranoia and fear (which helped to keep our ancient ancestors alive). It easily became ingrained and unquestioned, but even those who did learn enough to questions it personally, could have affirmed it publicly for their own benefit. Look at the Catholic Church, look at the immense amount of wealth and temporal power they hold through selling people the promise of the afterlife. The Pope could be an atheists, and the organization could continue to operate as is with no discernible change. It offers wealth and power in this life, and if you don't believe in the next, that might be enough to get anybody to go alone with just being a cog in the machine.

The person selling you the sugar pill as an aspirin could still gain from doing so, even if he knew it wasn't aspirin. This is the very core of being a charlatan, and when you break down religion, it is organized and systematic charlatanism. They sell you the promise of the next world, so they can steal this one; and you're handing it over to them on a silver platter while bending over and saying "please sir, I'd like some more"...

LionIRC,
Can you ask yourself this question...

Why would someone who has been repeatedly been told (and been shown scientific evidence) that the pills they are taking are merely placebos, keep taking the pills?

Why do people who have certain knowledge that it makes no difference whether or not you step on the cracks in the pavement, keep avoiding them?

When you find that answer, you will have taken a step (crack or no crack) towards enlightenment.

Good luck on your journey.
I'll keep my fingers crossed
*Rubs rosary, kisses rabbit's foot, prays before game, etc, etc.*