Theists on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 03:44 AM
RE: Theists on this forum
(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Deliberately imagining God, as a sort of pain relief, would only provide imaginary comfort.

Tooth ache? Here, take two imaginary aspirin tablets and call me in the morning.
Thanks Doc. But in order for a placebo effect, don't you need to tell me they are real aspirin?
I'm going to try and not come off as a condescending asshole.

But suppose somebody dresses up like an alien and scares you. Was your fright real, even though he wasn't what you thought he was?

Or lets say you are watching television, and a character dies you feel sorrow. Then your sorrow is false?

Sorry but as you can see in these alternate situations, that emotional responses to imaginary things are real. It doesn't make those imaginary things true either. It just means somethings are emotionally engaging. Thumbsup

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
13-02-2013, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 06:45 AM by Vosur.)
(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The argument cuts both ways surely. Can't atheists be accused of imagining that God doesnt exist so they dont have to worry about the possibility of an afterlife reckoning?
Not necessarily. As you may or may not know, most atheists on this forum are agnostic atheists. We don't claim to know whether or not god exists, so we don't have to imagine anything either way. Our non-belief is based on insufficient evidence for the existence of any kind of supernatural deity and has nothing to do with any kind of afterlife. There are probably some atheists who imagine that god doesn't exist so that they don't have to worry about some kind of punishment after death, but they surely ain't here.

(12-02-2013 11:06 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Besides, if the bible was man-made, invented, fictitious, it wouldnt be any consolation to those who fear death.

Deliberately imagining God, as a sort of pain relief, would only provide imaginary comfort.

Tooth ache? Here, take two imaginary aspirin tablets and call me in the morning.
Thanks Doc. But in order for a placebo effect, dont you need to tell me they are real aspirin?
I suggest you look up the term "delusion".

As for your analogy, do you think that preachers tell the members of their church/religious parents tell their children that what they believe in is real (placebo) or that the Bible is man-made and fictitious? Your analogy is fallacious because no religious authority/parent does the latter.

With that aside, your backwards logic can be used to support the validity of any scripture: "If the Qu'ran was man-made, invented, fictitious, it wouldn't be any consolation to those who fear death."

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-02-2013, 02:08 PM
(13-02-2013 06:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I suggest you look up the term "delusion".

Don't make things to difficult for him, we still don't know if he knows how to look things up.

Click This --> Delusion

and if that's still too difficult for you...

Quote:de·lu·sion
[dih-loo-zhuhn] Show IPA
noun
1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:What I do mind are theists using these forums as a place of evangelism without asking (meaning, without a member of the community expressing interest or raising the debate). I just simply don't want to hear it here when I am among friends.

Maybe that doesn't matter because of free speech on this forum but damn, it's aggravating.
You're unique in this? No, Christians have to deal with non-Christians all the time also. Have you thought about heading for some kind of invite only Facebook group for Atheists only?
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post
13-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Actually, my dictionary defines it thusly:

delusion |diˈloō zh ən|
noun
an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder : the delusion of being watched.
• the action of deluding someone or the state of being deluded : what a capacity television has for delusion.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-02-2013, 03:34 PM
(13-02-2013 03:30 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:What I do mind are theists using these forums as a place of evangelism without asking (meaning, without a member of the community expressing interest or raising the debate). I just simply don't want to hear it here when I am among friends.

Maybe that doesn't matter because of free speech on this forum but damn, it's aggravating.
You're unique in this? No, Christians have to deal with non-Christians all the time also. Have you thought about heading for some kind of invite only Facebook group for Atheists only?
When has a atheist knocked on your door on a weekend after having a hang over? when has a atheist sent garbage bullshit in your mail? when has a atheist phoned you to donate money to build a church in Africa? when has an Atheist stand on a soap box in a public area to preach? Any action an atheist does is normally a reaction to a theists action.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
[+] 2 users Like StorMFront's post
13-02-2013, 03:38 PM
(13-02-2013 03:34 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 03:30 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You're unique in this? No, Christians have to deal with non-Christians all the time also. Have you thought about heading for some kind of invite only Facebook group for Atheists only?
When has a atheist knocked on your door on a weekend after having a hang over? when has a atheist sent garbage bullshit in your mail? when has a atheist phoned you to donate money to build a church in Africa? when has an Atheist stand on a soap box in a public area to preach? Any action an atheist does is normally a reaction to a theists action.
Like this ?

Wait no, epic fail. Read the question wrong Undecided

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:When has a atheist knocked on your door on a weekend after having a hang over? when has a atheist sent garbage bullshit in your mail? when has a atheist phoned you to donate money to build a church in Africa? when has an Atheist stand on a soap box in a public area to preach? Any action an atheist does is normally a reaction to a theists action.
Obviously you have limited experience of public forums (the ones not on PCs). Smile
C. Hitchens was on TV all the time when I was trying to watch cartoons, for gosh sake.
Oh, wait, I almost forgot. Atheists slaughtered tens of millions of my countrymen overseas in the last Century while the Christians preached and raised money for churches.
13-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Ill probably do that a lot, no experience on a forum. lol

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
13-02-2013, 03:56 PM
(13-02-2013 03:46 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:When has a atheist knocked on your door on a weekend after having a hang over? when has a atheist sent garbage bullshit in your mail? when has a atheist phoned you to donate money to build a church in Africa? when has an Atheist stand on a soap box in a public area to preach? Any action an atheist does is normally a reaction to a theists action.
Obviously you have limited experience of public forums (the ones not on PCs). Smile
C. Hitchens was on TV all the time when I was trying to watch cartoons, for gosh sake.
Oh, wait, I almost forgot. Atheists slaughtered tens of millions of my countrymen overseas in the last Century while the Christians preached and raised money for churches.

Which countrymen would those be since you are in Florida?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user