Poll: How strongly do you desire to convert those who don't already share them to your religious beliefs?
It is important to spread religion to heathens .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the glory of god or maybe just to get another notch on my belt.
Given a receptive heathen, I at least like to make what I think are the best arguments I know for believing in God/gods.
I'm always happy to say why I'm happy that I believe in God if anyone wants to know. Otherwise, to each his own.
I just prefer to avoid discussing religious beliefs with others in real life.
If asked, I'm happy to say why I don't believe in God. Otherwise, live and let live.
In the company of a believer who really wants to know why I don't believe, I welcome the opportunity to lay out what I think are the best reasons for rejecting the existence of gods.
It is important to bring believers into the light of reason .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the good of the human race or maybe just to see if I can.
All polls are lame or at least this one is.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Theists or not, how eager are you to convert others?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Theists or not, how eager are you to convert others?
So I'm always curious how strong the missionary urge is on a religiously themed forum. And I suppose the question being asked bye this poll also speaks to the level of tolerance for other mindsets. I might get some idea how folks here feel about polls too.

Q: So how strongly do we want to convert others from theism to atheism, or vice versa?

The answer choices I'll provide will be these, but if you don't find a good fit by all means make up your own in your comment:

A1: It is important to spread religion to heathens .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the glory of god or maybe just to get another notch on my belt.

A2: Given a receptive heathen, I at least like to make what I think are the best arguments I know for believing in God/gods.

A3: I'm always happy to say why I'm happy that I believe in God if anyone wants to know. Otherwise, to each his own.

A4: I just prefer to avoid discussing religious beliefs with others in real life.

A5: If asked, I'm happy to say why I don't believe in God. Otherwise, live and let live.

A6: In the company of a believer who really wants to know why I don't believe, I welcome the opportunity to lay out what I think are the best reasons for rejecting the existence of gods.

A7: It is important to bring believers into the light of reason .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the good of the human race or maybe just to see if I can.

A8: All polls are lame or at least this one is.

I always prefer to make polls public if that option exists here and, while I usually offer multiple options available, I think I'll restrict it to one if that works here.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Theists or not, how eager are you to convert others?
I don't exactly try to convert anyone, but I like to make my opinion clear. I really don't want to start some sort of conflict...

Basically A5, I guess.
16-12-2016, 09:25 PM
For myself I chose the low key atheist choice, A5, to discuss only if asked. But the truth is I often prefer to avoid it in real life altogether. And sometimes, if I feel simpatico with a believer I might probe a little more just out of curiosity. But I'm not an antitheist, just a nonbeliever and I entertain any belief that our species as a whole will ever drag itself to new heights. I could be wrong about that, but it is what I think.

You?

16-12-2016, 09:26 PM
(16-12-2016 09:21 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  I don't exactly try to convert anyone, but I like to make my opinion clear. I really don't want to start some sort of conflict...

Basically A5, I guess.

Yeah, I'm conflict adverse most often too.

16-12-2016, 09:47 PM
I don't want to (de)convert anyone any more than I want someone trying to convert me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Yup, A5. As long as one keeps their frightening deity story away from me, we're all good. I used to argue 'til I was blue in the face, but I got over it. I don't argue with willfully ignorant people, as long as they stay out of my face.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-12-2016, 01:33 AM
Deconverting others isn't something that I do - I despise religion but people are free to believe what I deem barbaric bullshit.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
17-12-2016, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2016 04:02 PM by kingschosen.)
I'm just whatever.

Discussing it in real life never ends well.

I just show people pictures of my dogs. Upside down.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
17-12-2016, 04:11 PM
My behaviour here is different to IRL. Here I'm happy to go up against the annoying theists who also come here preaching. Not necessarily because I think they'll deconvert, but I hate bullshit to go unchallenged. IRL I usually can't be arsed. Although I have caused unexpected awkward silences every now and then when someone says something egregiously fatuous and I chirp back.

Non-evangelical theists are fine, I don't personally have an axe to grind over their beliefs so as long as they leave me alone I do likewise. Of course... sometimes I do get curious as to why they believe. And then sometimes I forget that I was the one who asked... Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-12-2016, 04:21 PM
(17-12-2016 03:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm just whatever.

Discussing it in real life never ends well.

I just show people pictures of my dogs. Upside down.

I'm assuming the "this poll is lame" option is for could not give less of a shit about other peoples' metaphysics.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post