Poll: How strongly do you desire to convert those who don't already share them to your religious beliefs?
It is important to spread religion to heathens .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the glory of god or maybe just to get another notch on my belt.
Given a receptive heathen, I at least like to make what I think are the best arguments I know for believing in God/gods.
I'm always happy to say why I'm happy that I believe in God if anyone wants to know. Otherwise, to each his own.
I just prefer to avoid discussing religious beliefs with others in real life.
If asked, I'm happy to say why I don't believe in God. Otherwise, live and let live.
In the company of a believer who really wants to know why I don't believe, I welcome the opportunity to lay out what I think are the best reasons for rejecting the existence of gods.
It is important to bring believers into the light of reason .. maybe for their sake, maybe for the good of the human race or maybe just to see if I can.
All polls are lame or at least this one is.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Theists or not, how eager are you to convert others?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 02:22 AM
RE: Theists or not, how eager are you to convert others?
(17-12-2016 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 03:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm just whatever.

Discussing it in real life never ends well.

I just show people pictures of my dogs. Upside down.

I'm assuming the "this poll is lame" option is for could not give less of a shit about other peoples' metaphysics.

Just out of habit given my experience at AF.org. There is a cadre of members there who really seem to hate polls and expect to see such an option. It doesn't really fit with the other options though, does it?

I was surprised that no one chose the first three options. Are there no regular theist members?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2016, 02:31 AM
(18-12-2016 02:22 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm assuming the "this poll is lame" option is for could not give less of a shit about other peoples' metaphysics.

Just out of habit given my experience at AF.org. There is a cadre of members there who really seem to hate polls and expect to see such an option. It doesn't really fit with the other options though, does it?

I was surprised that no one chose the first three options. Are there no regular theist members?

There are theists who have answered the poll - they're not evangelical. They're the only ones who seem to last. The evangelists are transient phenomena usually. We've had one or two who return on occasion, but they tend to flap in, squawk something dumb about abortion for example, and fly away before we can explain to them how idiotic they are.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2016, 07:15 AM
I was raised evangelical. Throughout my childhood and teen years, I was coached on ways to introduce Jesus into conversation--leading questions, props, and when all else failed, brute force: "by the way, speaking of peanut butter cups, do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?" I was pushed into parks with piles of pamphlets and directed to return empty-handed.

So as an adult, I never discuss religious issues in real life, and I can see a setup coming a mile away and know how to avoid it. If asked directly, I either non-answer or just say I'm not a believer and don't discuss further.

Online, I poke and antagonize and argue, but never in person.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
18-12-2016, 08:48 AM
(18-12-2016 02:22 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm assuming the "this poll is lame" option is for could not give less of a shit about other peoples' metaphysics.

I didn't find it much different than here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
18-12-2016, 09:47 PM
(18-12-2016 07:15 AM)julep Wrote:  I was raised evangelical. Throughout my childhood and teen years, I was coached on ways to introduce Jesus into conversation--leading questions, props, and when all else failed, brute force: "by the way, speaking of peanut butter cups, do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?" I was pushed into parks with piles of pamphlets and directed to return empty-handed.

So as an adult, I never discuss religious issues in real life, and I can see a setup coming a mile away and know how to avoid it. If asked directly, I either non-answer or just say I'm not a believer and don't discuss further.

Online, I poke and antagonize and argue, but never in person.

That sounds like a tough childhood. Doesn't seem to have broken you though so maybe it toughened you up?

18-12-2016, 09:58 PM
I don't mind discussing it with folks who seem reasonable, but I don't ever try to change minds. What someone else believes doesn't concern me so long as they don't try to ensconce it in law -- and I don't think my beliefs are so important that they should share them.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-12-2016, 12:49 AM
These days I just don't care. In the past I did. Mainly due to my seeing the danger signs, such as a Trump becoming president. I really felt, and still do, that these Judaic based religions are a threat to humanity.

Today I just want these idiots to leave me alone. I avoid xians like the plague. Their idiocy is too much for me to stand. Life is too short.

Luckily I live in Australia where religion is not taken seriously by the majority. I think Australia's # 1 religion is Jedi. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
19-12-2016, 05:00 AM
(19-12-2016 12:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  These days I just don't care. In the past I did. Mainly due to my seeing the danger signs, such as a Trump becoming president. I really felt, and still do, that these Judaic based religions are a threat to humanity.

Today I just want these idiots to leave me alone. I avoid xians like the plague. Their idiocy is too much for me to stand. Life is too short.

Luckily I live in Australia where religion is not taken seriously by the majority. I think Australia's # 1 religion is Jedi. Smile

I'm much the same, although I do engage with Christians for the comedy value, I have a laugh every day about some of the stuff they come up with.Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Snowbusinesslikesnowbusiness's post
19-12-2016, 06:35 AM
If the religious could apply reason & critical thinking to their religion, then they wouldn't be religious.

There is nothing I can say to someone who gets a weekly brainwashing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
22-12-2016, 11:04 AM
(19-12-2016 06:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If the religious could apply reason & critical thinking to their religion, then they wouldn't be religious.

There is nothing I can say to someone who gets a weekly brainwashing.

Leastwise they might become better theists. If they only dropped the empirical claims -creator of everything from nothing, afterlife- and focussed instead on their sense of connection with the inner peace that brings, they'd be better theists to have around. They could keep that just by letting god be but one mystery among many in the greater mystery of our consciousness. Then they can quite rationally go on communing with, praying to and praising God as their significant internal other without incurring any friction from science and the cognitive dissonance that brings.