Theists say the dumbest things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 06:53 PM
RE: Theists say the dumbest things
(10-01-2017 07:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  This is what delusion leads to. You might want to rethink things. Drinking Beverage
Chas, your persistence is truly admirable. Smile

Yours is not. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-01-2017, 09:47 PM
(10-01-2017 06:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 07:41 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Chas, your persistence is truly admirable. Smile

Yours is not. Drinking Beverage

Figured you would say as much.

And for this thread, just saw this post from 11 hours ago in a FB group:
[Image: hvjwkF4.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
10-01-2017, 10:44 PM
I was speaking with a woman I consider as a cocktail Muslim who do not cover her face with anything.

She said me in French*¹ she refuse to cover Hijab and she haven't any problem to marry herself with a non-Muslim because we're in the XXIth century. I suppose that everybody there know that Islam is against religious exogamy*² for women but this is authorized for men*³.

I precise it to indicate she speak the official language of the country in which she live (France) because many Muslims that I know who are born in France have serious problems with French language. This woman isn't born in France and she speak it better than many Muslims born in France that I knew.
*² Exogamy = Marry with someone from another religion , ethnic group , social class etc... than your.
*³ Only with Christians and Jewish women.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like viocjit's post
11-01-2017, 01:39 AM
(10-01-2017 10:51 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks, and that's an interesting question. Because the Pope only speaks "infallibly" when invoking an Ex Cathedra statement, of which there have only ever been two and both relate to Marian doctrines. (Which I accept, or at least think I do, and go to the Holy Days of Obligation related to them.) So the Church itself allows for a built in mechanism for disagreement without necessarily being a "bad Catholic".

Are you saying there've only *ever* been two ex cathedra statements, or that this particular pope has only made two?

Where do you stand on use of contraception?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2017, 03:39 AM
(10-01-2017 09:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 06:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yours is not. Drinking Beverage

Figured you would say as much.

Yeah. No theist has credibility. You and the rest included.

Deluded bunch of fucking idiots.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-01-2017, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 07:39 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(11-01-2017 01:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 10:51 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Thanks, and that's an interesting question. Because the Pope only speaks "infallibly" when invoking an Ex Cathedra statement, of which there have only ever been two and both relate to Marian doctrines. (Which I accept, or at least think I do, and go to the Holy Days of Obligation related to them.) So the Church itself allows for a built in mechanism for disagreement without necessarily being a "bad Catholic".

Are you saying there've only *ever* been two ex cathedra statements, or that this particular pope has only made two?

Where do you stand on use of contraception?

At least as far as I'm aware there's only been technically two ex cathedra statements by a Pope; the assumption of Mary and the immaculate conception. Now if we want to get into theological pissing match waters depending on one's flavor of Catholic, are church ecumenical councils also ex cathedra in nature, and if so, what constitutes a valid ecumenical council? One of the replies to the FB thing I shared, argued Vatican II wasn't one, because an Emperor hadn't called it. (Sorry, just felt the need to bold that...I do not get all these Trads who are all "the monarchy is the best system on Earth because of the divine right of kings".)

Contraceptive wise; up in the air-ish. It's not my body for things like birth control pills or an IUD, so it's not my decision to try and force someone one way or another. That said, I do have personal issues with hormonal birth control, but that's due to knowing people who have reacted poorly to it in the sense that it harmed their physical health. I don't really buy the hysterical "if we put people on birth control, they're all going to go become sex fiends!" thing I heard as a Baptist.

(11-01-2017 03:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 09:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Figured you would say as much.

Yeah. No theist has credibility. You and the rest included.

Deluded bunch of fucking idiots.
Going to have to disagree with you there on behalf of myself, KC, Aliza, a few billion people, etc. (Though that's not an attempt to argue the point; a lot of us could believe the moon was made of Cheese, but that wouldn't make it so.) But you're definitely entitled to have and hold that opinion and I won't try to dissuade you from it.

11-01-2017, 01:10 PM
I asked about contraceptives 'cos one of the dumb things Catholics do over here is not use them. Apparently there are plenty of Catholics throughout Southern Africa who *would* if only the goddamn Pope would get off his arse and say they can. How screwed up is that? They're that faithful that they can't go against him in something so small as sheathing one's dong to prevent disease and babies. It reallly grates sometimes...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2017, 01:17 PM
(11-01-2017 07:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  At least as far as I'm aware there's only been technically two ex cathedra statements by a Pope; the assumption of Mary and the immaculate conception.

If there have only been 2 definitive statements and all the rest is just opinion then that position is even more ceremonial and pointless than the English monarchy. What the fuck do they do to earn their keep?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-01-2017, 01:28 PM
(11-01-2017 01:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 07:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  At least as far as I'm aware there's only been technically two ex cathedra statements by a Pope; the assumption of Mary and the immaculate conception.

If there have only been 2 definitive statements and all the rest is just opinion then that position is even more ceremonial and pointless than the English monarchy. What the fuck do they do to earn their keep?

About as much as the English monarchy do to earn theirs...

Big Grin
11-01-2017, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 02:24 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(11-01-2017 01:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  I asked about contraceptives 'cos one of the dumb things Catholics do over here is not use them. Apparently there are plenty of Catholics throughout Southern Africa who *would* if only the goddamn Pope would get off his arse and say they can. How screwed up is that? They're that faithful that they can't go against him in something so small as sheathing one's dong to prevent disease and babies. It reallly grates sometimes...

Not going to disagree. Personal opinion would be put on the damn condom, because of the higher risk of transmission of HIV and such without one. (Not to mention population wise and ability to provide for more kids, as alluded to in the latter half of what you said.) What's interesting is seeing how Francis and Benedict disagree to an extent on it; where Benedict was all "you can never use a condom to prevent the spread of HIV" and Francis is like, "maybe use it; you should try to stop the spread of Zika".

(11-01-2017 01:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Act as a CEO and overriding central figure. While the Curia (which Francis seems to have lost the battle to reform) runs most of the day to day stuff and behind the scenes power plays, he gets to be the figurehead to an extent, make major decisions regarding structure of stuff, and act as overall boss to the clergy beneath him. There's a group of four Traditionalist cardinals who are making very schismatic noises about his letter on life and the family, because they think he's being too lenient on people who get divorced. (Interesting aside, he's run a parish before and encountered how actual people have real problems that aren't the black and white of canon law, none of those four cardinals has, as best as I can tell.) He basically told them they can lose their positions if they don't shut up and behave, to which their supporters have raised a stink about how Francis is turning the Vatican into, I joke not, the Soviet Union. The cardinals themselves...while still grumbling...have gotten much less vocal at the prospect of being sent to Middle of Nowhere.

(Though in all honesty, I was hoping they'd push hard, and one would be transferred to Antarctica to live in McMurdo Station or to pastor the Chapel of Santisima Virgen de Lujan on Seymour Island off the coast down there.)

Edit: From a Catholic group I'm in on FB:
"Prots gonna Prot" "Those Protestants are so fucking annoying" - in response to the fact the church Dylan Roof shot up, opposes the Death Penalty.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post