Theists say the dumbest things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Theists say the dumbest things
I just saw this one over on Phatmass:
[Image: 6utd3Rd.png]

(12-01-2017 07:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 05:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  A co-worker saw me reading Hitchens' "god is not Great" and said this "I don't know how you can get your beliefs from a book" 0.o I was so dumbfounded at the idiocy of that statement I was left speechless.

The correct answer to that statement is:

"I don't get my beliefs from 'a' book; I get my beliefs from hundreds and hundreds of books. What kind of crazy person would take everything they believe from one book?"
RS, stop looking at my darn bookshelves!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-01-2017, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 11:23 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(12-01-2017 08:28 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I just saw this one over on Phatmass:
[Image: 6utd3Rd.png]

(12-01-2017 07:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The correct answer to that statement is:

"I don't get my beliefs from 'a' book; I get my beliefs from hundreds and hundreds of books. What kind of crazy person would take everything they believe from one book?"
RS, stop looking at my darn bookshelves!

One of the very first things I heard from my church-culture about homosexuals, other than the Bible stuff, was that they were "just sexually confused". It struck me as odd, because my mom worked in theater, and I knew many-- none of them seemed confused at all. But I was just a kid, so I shrugged it off.

Later, as part of my apologetics training "reading assignments", I was given a book by one of the Focus on the Family crew (I forget the title/author) that contained a scene in which the protagonist visits hell a la Danté, where he is at one point tempted in several ways... one of which is a very handsome male fallen-angel who essentially flops out his dick and tells the (very tempted!) protagonist to have sex with him.

Even though I was a Christian at the time, I laughed so hard I almost dropped the book. The amount of Projection of the author, ironically trying to exorcise his own personal demons, was so plain to me that I literally shook with laughter. I have, of course, felt no such temptations-- and would not, no matter what dude flopped out his weiner in front of me. (Well, okay maybe Jared Leto.) If that's what they thought homosexuality was, it was clear to me what the reality behind their pronouncements of "doom-on-them!" actually was. Poor, suppressed bastards.

But even more amusing was a series of books by Frank Peretti, which were all the rage in my church at the time, in which he suggested that evil thoughts/deeds were the result of invisible "spiritual warfare" going on all around us, where the angels were empowered by the prayers of the faithful to protect their charges... and if the "Prayer Warriors" didn't hold up their end, the demons would start to win. The books frequently describe demons literally sitting on people's shoulders, claws inside their brains, causing them to have homosexual thoughts, drink alcohol, et cetera.

I mention the latter story because while trying to search for the name of the book I had forgotten, above, I learned that churches are still peddling that "demons cause gay sex" meme. Quote:

"[Homosexuality] is such a putrid smelling demon that other demons don’t even like to hang around it. A genuine prophet of God told me that the Lord allowed him to smell this demon spirit, and he got sick to his stomach. And yet as humans, many embrace this demon. Yes, you heard me right. Being gay is demonic." - Holy Fire Ministries founder Bert Farias

I would laugh it off, but people who believe in literal demons controlling their fellow human beings can be very, very dangerous to those fellow human beings. Much of the anti-gay behavior (such as the "no gay wedding cakes" crap) we've seen from Christians in the USA has been justified based on the overt statement that the behavior is an expression of demonic possession or something inherently, internally demonic about gay people.

I admit that the two men [plantiffs Charlie Craig and David Mullins] are humans — they’re men," the former Navy chaplain said. "But when they manifest sexual immorality, there’s something inside of them that is manifesting and, on this show, we like to discern the spirits and I would say that’s a demonic spirit that is manifesting inside of them. They’re cooperating with the devil and there is something unhuman inside of them." - Gordon Klingenschmitt, host of "Pray in Jesus Name" (radio program)

But then I saw something even worse, but much more amusing. I learned that the movie Labyrinth is for Satanists. That's literally the title of the article: "Labyrinth is for Satanists."

Quote: "Have you indulged in a film that is full of sexual immorality, witchcraft, beastiality, hate, homosexuality, deceit, and other Anti-Christian themes that is called Labrynth? Labrynth is a heathen film that is loaded with all these themes, and its content truly comes from the depths of Hell. The film is an example of how Satan corrupts the minds and works with Hollywood in an attempt to De-Christianize America."

Laugh out load

[Edited to fix tags.]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-01-2017, 02:31 PM
RS, your post made me into a glutton for punishment and I watched Ray Comfort's Audacity. Tongue Which is basically movie form of all the quotes you just posted, because Ray has so many metaphors about how "choosing" to be LGBT is like throwing yourself in front of a speeding train or down an elevator shaft...

On the last quote, I was like, "No, RS is too smart to make that big a typo..." and googled the quote. They spelled "bestiality" wrong. Drinking Beverage Pedantic, yes, but sorta just leaped off the page. Also reinforced my view of "Yep, RS wouldn't make that mistake, he was indeed, direct quoting."

That book from your old church sounds absolutely insane! The projection by a deeply closeted author who is afraid and angry of his own potential sexuality is just mind blowing. Though, sadly, not very surprising. Coming from a (slightly more liberal American Baptist) church, heard similar while growing up, and even heard members say how we had to discriminate against potential youth minister because his being single at 30 was a sign that he was gay, and we couldn't allow "a gay" near the children. Meanwhile, a straight guy who ended up being a pedophile was always hanging out with the youth group...

Also the author of that Focus on the Family book makes me think of another website I'm on with two topics by the same guy. One is "Using the word fa****" and the other is "People Are Not Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transgender Or Questioning... "

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Good eye! And thanks for believing in me. Smile

To be fair, I didn't notice the typo I quoted, or I'd have likely included a [sic].

For some reason, I feel compelled to use proper format when referencing the work of others, which is of course why I always specify when I have highlighted something with bold font not found in the original.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
15-01-2017, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2017 06:34 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(14-01-2017 03:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Good eye! And thanks for believing in me. Smile

To be fair, I didn't notice the typo I quoted, or I'd have likely included a [sic].

For some reason, I feel compelled to use proper format when referencing the work of others, which is of course why I always specify when I have highlighted something with bold font not found in the original.

You're welcome, and ditto here on sourcing others! Unless it's just that bad...speaking of bad. Catholic group I'm in, someone posts this photo saying they were horrified to find it in a Catholic bookstore (20 sad and/or angry react faces).
[Image: LI48YFJ.png]
Here's some of the replies from it:
  • Does it look too much like anime for you?
  • It's an issue they're receiving communion in the hand.
  • Is the priest handing out candies?
  • We now know what not to buy.
  • Alb-stole for Mass? WTF?
  • This is cancer.
  • After sexual abuses, teaching the children to take communion on their hands is the worst way to pervert the kids.
  • Also, why didn't you buy these to burn them?
  • Imagine so-called "CATHOLIC" entities teaching sacrilege to kids at such tender age. That's the NEW DARK, MAN-MADE CHURCH about which BLESSED CATHERINE EMMERICH prophesied about in her visions. What a sad state we are living in, in these evil end times!

Edit: From the same group:
[Image: TxETllD.png]

16-01-2017, 12:06 AM
Destroyed "in under a minute and 40 seconds"?!

That's impressive.

I hope I can be there when they receive the Nobel Prize for that accomplishment.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-01-2017, 02:51 AM
(16-01-2017 12:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Destroyed "in under a minute and 40 seconds"?!

That's impressive.

I hope I can be there when they receive the Nobel Prize for that accomplishment.

Rolleyes It's be some brain-dead shit. Those fuckers should be forced to read Voyage of the Beagle. Every page is awesome. You can really see what a man of energy and enthusiasm Darwin was, interested in everything he saw. That such a giant can be criticized by a cretin for not following the cretin's orthodoxy is a traversty.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2017, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 12:33 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(16-01-2017 12:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Destroyed "in under a minute and 40 seconds"?!

That's impressive.

You and I both RS, you and I both. The snark is strong with you (and well deserved for this idiot).

(16-01-2017 02:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  

That's impressive.

Rolleyes It's be some brain-dead shit. Those fuckers should be forced to read Voyage of the Beagle. Every page is awesome. You can really see what a man of energy and enthusiasm Darwin was, interested in everything he saw. That such a giant can be criticized by a cretin for not following the cretin's orthodoxy is a traversty.

That's the thing though, the cretin isn't even following his own orthodoxy. The Catholic Church doesn't say Creationism is the bomb, like so many Protestant denominations do, it says evolution happens. He's also probably one of the people who screamed Francis is a blasphemer for saying God isn't a magician and didn't use a magic wand to create the universe, and that of course evolution is a natural process.

Edit: new comment on that Children's Guide to the Missal image.
"Please PRAY for that priest. He is as MISGUIDED and DECEIVED as so many NOMINAL CATHOLICS are by the LEADERS who are themselves BLIND. Sr. LUCIA of Fatima said so, sadly enough. BUT KEEP FIRM in your faith and morals. God will do the rest including the proper reward."

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
16-01-2017, 11:53 PM
In 2013. Before being a strong Atheist as I'm now. I was a Agnostic Christian. I spoke about the afterlife with my grand-parents and I explained to them we have no reason to be sure about the existence of heaven and hell.

Theirs answers (We spoked in French that is ours native tongue) was something like that :
(French : Il y a peut-être la réincarnation. Translation : There are maybe the reincarnation).
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
17-01-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 09:43 AM by Silly Deity.)
A favorite from Banana Man himself.........Ray Comfort.............

"If the Bible isn’t God-inspired, explain why how [sic] the writer of the Book of Job knew 3000 years ago that “the earth hangs upon nothing” (Job 26:7). It wasn’t until thousands of years later that science discovered that gravity doesn’t exist in space, and that this massive earth does indeed hang upon nothing."

After all, one of the basics about gravity kids learn in school is how it controls the motions of stars and planets.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post