Theists say the dumbest things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 02:39 PM
RE: Theists say the dumbest things
(17-01-2017 09:08 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  A favorite from Banana Man himself.........Ray Comfort.............

"If the Bible isn’t God-inspired, explain why how [sic] the writer of the Book of Job knew 3000 years ago that “the earth hangs upon nothing” (Job 26:7). It wasn’t until thousands of years later that science discovered that gravity doesn’t exist in space, and that this massive earth does indeed hang upon nothing."

After all, one of the basics about gravity kids learn in school is how it controls the motions of stars and planets.

Facepalm

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 07:02 PM
From a Catholic FB group:
Q. When and where is a racist interpretation of the Bible born?
A1. Protestants invented race in order to slaughter like pagans during colonialism. The Church took a much more humane approach to colonialism. Protestants interpret the bible to suit their needs.
A2. Jews
A3. Racism didn't exist until the "Enlightenment".
A4. From God itself.
A5. Protestantism, capitalism, and modern science (the only of the three I much like) came to us rather bundled together.
A6. I say calvinism. Blacks and indians were not predestined, only the pretty white man, so they were dispensable.
A7. Africans were cursed.
A8. I think moderns used pre-existing theology to justify their innovative racial views.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
08-02-2017, 08:45 AM
[Image: 32656147001_ca35cc4a71_z.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 5 users Like Silly Deity's post
08-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Any day I see this thread and the words "Did you see the shit Shai Hulud posted?" aren't visible, it is a good day.

"Does anyone else miss reciting the Leonine Prayers in Latin? I just came from the Vigil Mass in Saskatoon and the priest recited them in Latin, and I realized that, despite loathing reciting the St. Michael's prayer in Latin, that I really miss the Latin. I'm debating whether or not to ask Fr. [name] if we can recite them in Latin again."

08-02-2017, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 05:09 PM by Chas.)
(08-02-2017 02:52 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Any day I see this thread and the words "Did you see the shit Shai Hulud posted?" aren't visible, it is a good day.

"Does anyone else miss reciting the Leonine Prayers in Latin? I just came from the Vigil Mass in Saskatoon and the priest recited them in Latin, and I realized that, despite loathing reciting the St. Michael's prayer in Latin, that I really miss the Latin. I'm debating whether or not to ask Fr. [name] if we can recite them in Latin again."

Please tell me you're a Cultural Catholic and you don't actually believe Catholic theology.

Please. Sadcryface

I mean, that whole pantheon of the Trinity, Mary, Satan, saints, angels, demons, and all
is so ridiculous that one has to be indoctrinated or brain-damaged to buy in to it. You're smarter than that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-02-2017, 05:38 PM
(08-02-2017 08:45 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  [Image: 32656147001_ca35cc4a71_z.jpg]

Apparently she doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their", either. Dodgy

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Well, thanks Chas! But yep, I am. Not a huge fan of Marian devotions and find it actually, rather creepy, how many Catholics seem to hold her in almost a goddess-like regard, as opposed to the hyperdulia they're supposed to. For instance, the only time I've prayed a Rosary in a year now was part of a penance for Confession. When I do break out my Rosary, which hasn't been since the last time I flew, it's usually a Divine Mercy Chaplet, which calms my mind and puts me at ease, without seeming to take forever and without the creepiness the Rosary can sometimes engender in me. Though sometimes parts of it do cause me more than a little cognitive dissonance, and I try to use that in the actual meaning of the term instead of the popular meaning, so rather than compartmentalization, there's an element of mental anguish and a great deal of anxiety when beliefs and values sometimes come into conflict. As a personal guess, though not fully sure, probably a lot of our ex-Catholics could even point out the exact things that cause me the most distress; in no small part, one may imagine, because they thought them at some point as well. (Or I could always be wrong.)

And now I can be quoted probably in the thread.

09-02-2017, 03:50 AM
[Image: 31965515683_cc75f670d3_z.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
09-02-2017, 04:29 AM
[Image: TrollingChristianMomProf.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
09-02-2017, 04:49 AM
(09-02-2017 04:29 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [Image: TrollingChristianMomProf.jpg]

Poe, surely? Please? Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.