Theists using the bible as argument: please dissect my rebuttal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: Theists using the bible as argument: please dissect my rebuttal
(15-01-2017 10:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's plenty of Jewish converts, but you can't win them all.

And it seems that over the years, absent of an alternative messiah's arrival, the Jewish conceptions of a messiah has started to become vague, and often spiritualized entity, with the Reform tradition rejecting it all together. Changing their beliefs in a coming redeemer, to redemption. I'd say the problem is a lack of imagination, an ability to conceptualize the thing they are awaiting for, to see whether it has come already.

And the last I remember, your own religious beliefs were summed up as not seeing beliefs as particularly important, and all that matters is doing good deeds. That God doesn't care what we believe as long as we do good things, except when in comes to Christians. He apparently cares about what christians believe, particularly in regards to Christ, regardless if they do good deeds or not.

And this is why I have little respect for christians. What a pompous response.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-01-2017, 11:08 AM
(15-01-2017 09:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  No, I really don’t see. And what’s so horrible about having made a mistake in judgement? I don’t have this compulsive need to be right. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I learn from the error and try to apply the lesson to future decisions. All I can do is try to make the best, most educated decisions with the available information. That’s all anyone does. We don’t really know anything for sure, but we make our decisions based on our interpretation of the best information we can get our hands on. Whether people are willing to admit it or not, all of their decisions are made pending new information. Close minded people may have a problem here because they may be unwilling to accept new information, but that has nothing to do with theism. That's just good old fashioned arrogance and stubbornness.

It isn't a case of having to be right or being close-minded. I've looked at the "evidence" presented to me for the existence of gods and every scrap has been based on a fallacy of one sort or another as far as I can tell. You came to a different conclusion and, frankly, it baffles me how anybody can base such a huge belief on what I see as such flimsy claims.

As I've said before though, theists who aren't trying to make others believe what they believe or pass laws based on their beliefs are very far down the list of problems as far as I'm concerned. Never having been a believer I just may never understand it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-01-2017, 11:16 AM
You know, I never realized Tomasia was a Christian until this thread.

(13-01-2017 08:23 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 07:57 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I used to get upset about how they changed the Star Trek canon from the old series to the Next Generation.

Zefram Chocran
was NOT from Earth! Censored

The OT/NT discrepancies are exactly the same, except people actually believe it's reality. It's all fan fiction, but it makes for a more enjoyable conversation if it's accepted at the outset that they are both made up stories.

Then it becomes just a matter of opinion- is Kirk/Moses or Picard/Jesus the better captain/messiah?

It's not about which Captain you like best. It's about what you do with that decision and one of the choices causes people to live in fear as fundamentalists, which in turn causes them to boycott the education system, and intrude on my happiness.

Now we all know the Sisko is the Chosen of the Prophets, the Emissary, and the best Captain, because he combines the best of Kirk/Moses and Picard/Jesus. He overturns the tables to reform the Federation and stop Section 31's genocide, but he's also willing to assassinate a Romulan Senator and frame the Dominion for it to save the Alpha Quadrant. And in the end, he sacrifices himself for his adoptive people, along the lines of Christ. Tongue

Joking aside, the whole intrusion on the education system is one of the things that frighten me. There are over 40,000 denominations of Christianity, each will tell you that it's right. The ones who now tend to get their claws into education, tend to be among the more angry strains. For instance, the non-denom "Good News Club"s are in schools across the country. They pass themselves off as being all fluff and light, but they're virulently anti-Catholic, anti-Orthodox, etc. Plus they tend to give lessons that glorify blind obedience, even in examples that involve heavy violence because God said to.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
15-01-2017, 11:18 AM
(15-01-2017 09:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Then I still wonder why you believe it. If it doesn't add anything and there is no good evidence for it to be true then I'm at a loss to understand why anybody would hang on to it.

It boils down to this: I have examined the evidence, and I’ve come to a different conclusion than you’ve come to. I suspect we’re actually examining different evidence and using different criteria to define G-d, and what must constitute G-d’s existence… but the end result is that I’ve considered both points of view, and I found in favor of their being a G-d.

(15-01-2017 07:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  You are open to accepting things as true without sufficient evidence. Do you not see how that leaves you vulnerable to mistakes in judgement?

No, I really don’t see. And what’s so horrible about having made a mistake in judgement? I don’t have this compulsive need to be right. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I learn from the error and try to apply the lesson to future decisions. All I can do is try to make the best, most educated decisions with the available information. That’s all anyone does. We don’t really know anything for sure, but we make our decisions based on our interpretation of the best information we can get our hands on. Whether people are willing to admit it or not, all of their decisions are made pending new information. Close minded people may have a problem here because they may be unwilling to accept new information, but that has nothing to do with theism. That's just good old fashioned arrogance and stubbornness.

I am interested in hearing the evidence that brought you to your conclusion for your belief in God, if you feel comfortable sharing on here. If not, pm me because I am interested in spirituality (like i mentioned with my yoga) and would be interested in what you have to say on this.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-01-2017, 11:28 AM
(15-01-2017 11:18 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  It boils down to this: I have examined the evidence, and I’ve come to a different conclusion than you’ve come to. I suspect we’re actually examining different evidence and using different criteria to define G-d, and what must constitute G-d’s existence… but the end result is that I’ve considered both points of view, and I found in favor of their being a G-d.

No, I really don’t see. And what’s so horrible about having made a mistake in judgement? I don’t have this compulsive need to be right. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I learn from the error and try to apply the lesson to future decisions. All I can do is try to make the best, most educated decisions with the available information. That’s all anyone does. We don’t really know anything for sure, but we make our decisions based on our interpretation of the best information we can get our hands on. Whether people are willing to admit it or not, all of their decisions are made pending new information. Close minded people may have a problem here because they may be unwilling to accept new information, but that has nothing to do with theism. That's just good old fashioned arrogance and stubbornness.

I am interested in hearing the evidence that brought you to your conclusion for your belief in God, if you feel comfortable sharing on here. If not, pm me because I am interested in spirituality (like i mentioned with my yoga) and would be interested in what you have to say on this.

I am curious as well.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-01-2017, 11:43 AM
.. again back to square one: how do you utilize the bible to prove the bible? Spiderman exists: i own his book. Really?

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education."
Samuel Clemens

"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it."
Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes ReistLaxCoach's post
15-01-2017, 06:06 PM
(15-01-2017 11:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  As I've said before though, theists who aren't trying to make others believe what they believe or pass laws based on their beliefs are very far down the list of problems as far as I'm concerned. Never having been a believer I just may never understand it.

Circumcision. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2017, 08:49 PM
(15-01-2017 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 11:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  As I've said before though, theists who aren't trying to make others believe what they believe or pass laws based on their beliefs are very far down the list of problems as far as I'm concerned. Never having been a believer I just may never understand it.

Circumcision. Drinking Beverage

The pro-life movement, the anti gay movement.....

- Paul Dirac
16-01-2017, 12:17 AM
(15-01-2017 08:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Circumcision. Drinking Beverage

The pro-life movement, the anti gay movement.....

I can think of a few more, offhand.

* Prohibition (yes, Google the "Women's Christian Temperance Union", for instance).

* Invention of the Penitentiary system.

* Anti-Native American religious-ethnic cleansing via Missionary Schools and programs.

* Supported system of slavery and white supremacy, based on Biblical literalism (to be fair, other Christians also opposed slavery on religious grounds).

* Anti-evolution laws and repeated attempts to downplay scientific knowledge in public schools.

* Modification of the Pledge to divide "one nation indivisible" with the added phrase "under God".

* Rejection of E Pluribus Unum "Out of Many, One" national motto for monotheist declaration.

* Federally unconstitutional state laws prohibiting nonbelievers from holding state office.

* Use of numerous public lands/buildings for religious advancement and/or displays suggesting Christian cultural dominance.

* Active opposition to establishment of anti-discrimination laws that favor LGBT, nonbelievers, and pretty much every other minority group.

and of course, let's not forget discrimination against Jews until the recent wedding of the evangelical movement with the Zionist/Likud right-wingers.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-01-2017, 12:45 AM
(16-01-2017 12:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  and of course, let's not forget discrimination against Jews until the recent wedding of the evangelical movement with the Zionist/Likud right-wingers.

Which is entirely self serving, zero fucks would be given if they didn't think helping the Zionists would also help quicken the second coming of Christ and the literal apocalypse.

So, there is that...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post