Theists using the bible as argument: please dissect my rebuttal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 02:40 AM
RE: Theists using the bible as argument: please dissect my rebuttal
(16-01-2017 12:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 12:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  and of course, let's not forget discrimination against Jews until the recent wedding of the evangelical movement with the Zionist/Likud right-wingers.

Which is entirely self serving, zero fucks would be given if they didn't think helping the Zionists would also help quicken the second coming of Christ and the literal apocalypse.

So, there is that...

Amen, cum Lord Jesus.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2017, 11:12 AM
(16-01-2017 12:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 08:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  The pro-life movement, the anti gay movement.....

I can think of a few more, offhand.

* Prohibition (yes, Google the "Women's Christian Temperance Union", for instance).

* Invention of the Penitentiary system.

* Anti-Native American religious-ethnic cleansing via Missionary Schools and programs.

* Supported system of slavery and white supremacy, based on Biblical literalism (to be fair, other Christians also opposed slavery on religious grounds).

* Anti-evolution laws and repeated attempts to downplay scientific knowledge in public schools.

* Modification of the Pledge to divide "one nation indivisible" with the added phrase "under God".

* Rejection of E Pluribus Unum "Out of Many, One" national motto for monotheist declaration.

* Federally unconstitutional state laws prohibiting nonbelievers from holding state office.

* Use of numerous public lands/buildings for religious advancement and/or displays suggesting Christian cultural dominance.

* Active opposition to establishment of anti-discrimination laws that favor LGBT, nonbelievers, and pretty much every other minority group.

and of course, let's not forget discrimination against Jews until the recent wedding of the evangelical movement with the Zionist/Likud right-wingers.

While all of these had/have me sort of growling to myself, the penitentiary system...when we do a brief history of corrections in my 101 class. Get to break out my Facebook photos (put on Powerpoint) of a visit to Eastern State Penitentiary (now closed, obviously, or I'd be the one facing legal trouble) and describing the whole concept behind it of repenting for the sins of your crime, and the horrible conditions. And what's that other idea? Oh yes, you can read the Bible until you realize you need Jesus and repent, when no one in that time period when it was started was usually literate.

The last (active) penitentiary I visited was having staffing issues, because they'd had two officers stabbed in as many months.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
16-01-2017, 11:51 PM
(16-01-2017 11:12 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 12:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I can think of a few more, offhand.

* Prohibition (yes, Google the "Women's Christian Temperance Union", for instance).

* Invention of the Penitentiary system.

* Anti-Native American religious-ethnic cleansing via Missionary Schools and programs.

* Supported system of slavery and white supremacy, based on Biblical literalism (to be fair, other Christians also opposed slavery on religious grounds).

* Anti-evolution laws and repeated attempts to downplay scientific knowledge in public schools.

* Modification of the Pledge to divide "one nation indivisible" with the added phrase "under God".

* Rejection of E Pluribus Unum "Out of Many, One" national motto for monotheist declaration.

* Federally unconstitutional state laws prohibiting nonbelievers from holding state office.

* Use of numerous public lands/buildings for religious advancement and/or displays suggesting Christian cultural dominance.

* Active opposition to establishment of anti-discrimination laws that favor LGBT, nonbelievers, and pretty much every other minority group.

and of course, let's not forget discrimination against Jews until the recent wedding of the evangelical movement with the Zionist/Likud right-wingers.

While all of these had/have me sort of growling to myself, the penitentiary system...when we do a brief history of corrections in my 101 class. Get to break out my Facebook photos (put on Powerpoint) of a visit to Eastern State Penitentiary (now closed, obviously, or I'd be the one facing legal trouble) and describing the whole concept behind it of repenting for the sins of your crime, and the horrible conditions. And what's that other idea? Oh yes, you can read the Bible until you realize you need Jesus and repent, when no one in that time period when it was started was usually literate.

The last (active) penitentiary I visited was having staffing issues, because they'd had two officers stabbed in as many months.

They may not use such explicitly religious terminology in the system, anymore, but the roots of the "religious penitence" philosophy still underpins much of how the Parole system operates. Contrary to what many think, prisoners rarely convert to Christianity in an attempt to placate the system-- indeed, as a "jailhouse lawyer" trying to prepare inmates for their third or fourth Parole Board hearing, I've heard a great many tell me of attempting to talk to the Parole Board about their religious conversion on the inside, however genuine or false it was, only to be laughed at for it, since the Board assumed any such speech to be a lie.

Too many of them had tried to explain--quite reasonably--to the Board what the circumstances of their crime were, what led them to make the bad decisions they made, and how they had matured into a more responsible adult who just wanted a chance to be a normal citizen again. This was a path to "failure to be released", I told them.

What the Board wanted to hear, I explained to the inmates, was Confession. Confess your sin (crime) before your Inquisitors, tell them what a base (uneducated/stupid/poor) and broken sinner (criminal) you are, and tell them that you've seen the light because of the fear and judgment you've experienced on the inside-- and that you will go forth and sin (crime) no more.

It works. I had literally dozens come back and tell me they got what we call an "immediate" out-date (meaning very soon, as opposed to a "pass" to the next parole hearing date), when their Board findings paperwork came through.

On the other hand, if you are innocent and proclaim that innocence, you are guaranteed never to be paroled. I was passed over, numerous times, because I refused to admit guilt or say I was a broken individual. I was set to serve the maximum term.

To make it even more perverse, if an inmate "breaks", emotionally, and recognizes that they need to tell the Board that they're guilty in an attempt to get released, it can be used against them as a legal admission of guilt in a later trial proceeding, if their original trial is overturned on technical grounds and they are given a retrial.

The entire system is sick and rotten to the core, and it's largely because of that "penitent"-iary basis for the entire setup.

We may not lock people in a room with a Bible and tell them to pray their way to salvation both temporal and heavenly, anymore, but the real roots of that system of thinking have not truly changed, but only been secularized. Angry

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post