Theists versus atheists: are conflicts necessary?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2011, 09:39 AM
RE: Theists versus atheists: are conflicts necessary?
Fair enough, Buddy. Just don't call me a Theist or a Theist apologist again then.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2011, 11:41 AM
You know... Theist isn't a derogatory term. If you discard for a moment all religions and their silly ideologies, basic theism isn't any more unlikely than deism, pantheism, or polytheism, and are all equally unknowable. It's the interference of religions with their own desires and agendas that gives theism such a negative stigma.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Be that as it may, the more salient issue is that I am not one of them. I can call you an Iraqi and discuss the merits and flaws of being from the Euphrates river, but the simple fact is that you aint one.

Matt
14-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Though if you called me an Iraqi, I would go "Actually I'm American." I wouldn't launch into a page-long tirade going "how dare you call me an Iraqi."

I'm just curious as to the hostility.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey, Buddy.

Well, it has something to do with this. It is clear that I am not a Theist. It's documented in this forum. So for you to call me a Theist, you either have to be ignorant of that documented fact (which is entirely possible) or intentionally calling me a Theist while knowing that I'm not one. As much as it's true that, as you pointed out, Theist is not a derogatory word, apologist is. So if you were ignorant of what I was, you never asked, made an assumption and then used a derogatory term. That is enough to irk anyone. That being said, if you didn't know one way or the other, I figured that my asking you who the Theist your were talking about was pointed to the fact that I was not a Theist. I was either wrong or you did know. I made the assumption that you did know that I was an Agnostic, not a Theist, which begged the question, why would you deliberately call me those things? Based on the fact that you used a derogatory term in your definition of me, I made the assumption that you weren't being nice.

So here's my question. Why did you call me either a Theist or a Theist apologist?

Matt
14-04-2011, 04:37 PM
(14-04-2011 02:47 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Theist is not a derogatory word, apologist is.

Apologist

–noun
a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

???

I've never heard of apologist being derogatory.

(14-04-2011 02:47 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So here's my question. Why did you call me either a Theist or a Theist apologist?

I think someone on my old forum Nightly.net used a similar sign off "peace, love, and..." and was also named Matt.

14-04-2011, 08:36 PM
You know what? I just plain don't believe you.

I am an Agnostic. In future, please refrain from calling me a Theist or a Theist apologist. I find it personally offensive and I ask that you respect that.
15-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Buddy

I got not only the humor but the humorous intent of your post so you got at least one smile. Your mistake, though, was obviously commenting on the wrong irony.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey, BnW.

Care to explain?

Matt
15-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Sure.

The funnier joke, and right irony, would have been to comment on the guy who complains that 2 groups that are basically having arguments over youtube videos are not willing to find some way to respect and co-exist with each other and implies that this is some kind of war with real world implications is the same guy who reacts to even the slightest sarcasm in his direction with the virtual equivalent of someone protecting their first born from a predator.

Buddy made a comment that was clearly meant as a joke. The joke wasn't even really at your expense, excepting out that he called you gasp a theist to make the joke work. BFD. Laugh and move on.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost