Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Theists, what brings you to TTA?
What motivates my fellow theists into coming to this forum and subjecting themselves to potential ridicule and insult? As I browse through the threads and posts, it’s hard not to notice that theists will tolerate an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them…. But why? Why not just leave for greener pastures?

My own reasons for coming here boil down to a desire to have exposure to atheists who are not from a Jewish background. I feel that this kind of exposure will help me relate better to people who will be in my future professional field.

So theists, why are you here?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 02:21 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 02:26 AM by Ace.)
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
they come here thinking they can convert us all using stuff that wins them victories with other theists

we have seen every single argument they have a million times by now that we can't even bother being nice and explaining to them how wrong they are when we know full well another guy is gonna show up using the exact same stuff we just finished dealing with
[+] 8 users Like Ace's post
21-09-2015, 03:04 AM
(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What motivates my fellow theists into coming to this forum

Apparently, we need to be saved.

Personally, I prefer to be spent.

(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them

That's just Bucky. Everyone else ... sweetness and light.

Angel

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2015, 03:48 AM
Google. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 04:44 AM
For some of the evangelical types (Christian and Muslim), I think it's that "witnessing" over the internet is way easier than trying to convert someone IRL. They can still get points from their god without any personal social consequences.

When I was a Christian, our church made us go to parks and accost people who were just trying to enjoy their day. I hated doing that. If I could get out of sight I would throw my pamphlets in the trash and sit down with a book until it was time to go… It's so much easier these days to join an anonymous forum and present the Christian POV. Then if I'm rejected, I can pretend it was just because those atheists are awful people, not because I've been rude and nasty to them--emotionally and spiritually, it's a win/win scenario for that kind of theist.

However, as I am not currently a theist, the above is just speculation about one brand of theist on this forum (examples: Q, popsthebuilder)
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
21-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Aliza, you never encountered evangelism?

When I was at uni the local God-botherers used to go and make nuisances of themselves in the pubs sometimes. It really fucks with your vibe to have some twit glorifying God on the bar-stool one over when you're trying to get drunk / get inside some girl's pants. Although I was a fucked up kid and sometimes went to church services, I at least had the modicum of courtesy necessary to keep drinking and Jesus separate. Dodgy

Anyway, like I was saying. At least among the twits at uni, it was a badge of honour to be a self-righteous prig in situations where it was totally uncalled for, and to later boast of how the Lord was at work in your life. Of course they would see it differently, but that's basically what they were doing. And as far as I can see, it's what brings the theists here back for more punishment all the time. They can't get enough of being "cursed for His name's sake" Rolleyes It scores big brown-nose points with the big man.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 06:39 AM
(21-09-2015 06:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  Aliza, you never encountered evangelism?

Oh, I’ve totally encountered evangelism. I’ve encountered it in spades, and when people find out that I’m Jewish, they start salivating in anticipation of the delicious cookie they believe G-d will give them for saving a Jew. I’ve become fairly decent at recognizing that gleam in their eye when they connect the dots and realize that they finally get to debate their “Jewish” points with someone. (I’m always ready for them!)

No, I get evangelism. What I don’t understand is when your audience isn’t receptive to what you’re saying, why don’t you just trod off and reevaluate your argument? Take a moment to plug the holes and try to come up with good answers to the objections that were raised… Then present your updated argument at a later time and see if your audience isn’t more receptive.

And there are also theists here who are not evangelizing…. And I’ll grant you that I’m not going to dig through past posts to evaluate each theist here, but I don’t see evangelism from every theist.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 06:40 AM
The difference between a store clerk and a telemarketer --- the store clerk is there to help you. The telemarketer annoys you at home when you have no desire to buy any of their crap -- which is almost always overpriced, shoddy or simply fraudulent.

Proselytizers - extrapolate....................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-09-2015, 06:42 AM
(21-09-2015 06:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  Aliza, you never encountered evangelism?

When I was at uni the local God-botherers used to go and make nuisances of themselves in the pubs sometimes. It really fucks with your vibe to have some twit glorifying God on the bar-stool one over when you're trying to get drunk / get inside some girl's pants.

Man, sometimes I wish transfer of Holy Spirit was as easy as chumps like Hinn imply. I'd go around bumping peeps in your situation on the forehead all day long. Hilarity ensues when the garden variety god-botherer comes 'round to mess with a prophet. And chicks dig it, too. Big Grin

Of course, the whole "have to be a flaming nutbag to be a prophet" is kind of a detriment. So, there's that. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 06:48 AM
(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  No, I get evangelism. What I don’t understand is when your audience isn’t receptive to what you’re saying, why don’t you just trod off and reevaluate your argument? Take a moment to plug the holes and try to come up with good answers to the objections that were raised… Then present your updated argument at a later time and see if your audience isn’t more receptive.

An argument for the existence of unicorns is always going to have holes which can't be plugged due to the simple fact that they don't exist, which by default limits our selection of theist debaters to the irrational.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post