15-10-2015, 09:49 PM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
Pops, clear out your PM storage. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Aliza,

You assume way too much for me to address you correctly.

It is inspired by the word of God. Surely parts are actual translations of the word of God, and as such are pure and true.

Let me ask you a question, before we really delve in. Shall we?. Has Judaism ever been without sin?

Another one(sorry), has Judaism ever had the doctrine of sacrifice?

Idolatry appeals to the part of us that isn't good for us in relation to the rest of existence and God, the creator of that existence. All sins are acts of greed placed at a higher importance than the general behaviour that should be exuded by all, under God, and henceforth benificial to civilization.

I disagree about the way idolatry feels though. Earlier in life I would have said a strong opposite of that.

Shame is a big part of faith.
I don't really understand what it is you are attempting to say.
Sorry, could you be more to the point please.

Oh.. questions, could you answer mine?

As you can see I am confused.
15-10-2015, 10:07 PM
(15-10-2015 09:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yes, and no true Scotsman would ever be caught without a kilt.
Yeah if heard that a few times but I haven't grasped the concept.

You can be a True Scotsman, born and bred, and not wear a kilt. But then some ignorant jackass, looking to exclude the un-kilted Scotsman, will assert that No True Scotsman would go un-kilted. That doesn't make the un-kilted Scotsman any less of an actual Scotsman.

Likewise, people who no longer have faith could have had it once. Declaring that they were never actually faithful because they no longer have faith now is the exact same thing. There is nothing about 'faith' that implies that it is permanent, or that you cannot lose it.

So you need to stop being a pretentious presumptuous fucking asshole and stop telling people who used to be faithful, they they were all fakers. Because it's a bullshit lie you tell yourself to shield your own doubts, because your too scared to explore your own doubts.

Fucking spineless coward. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2015, 10:10 PM
(15-10-2015 09:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yes, and no true Scotsman would ever be caught without a kilt.

Yeah if heard that a few times but I haven't grasped the concept.

Which concept? The concept that excluding people who disagree with you or represent a point against you which would normally be defined as a part of your set based on arbitrary redefinitions so as to 'invalidate' responses based on them, or the concept that real Scotsmen wear kilts, and any without aren't really Scots?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
15-10-2015, 10:36 PM
(15-10-2015 10:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Let me ask you a question, before we really delve in. Shall we?. Has Judaism ever been without sin?

I don't think so. -I mean, I'm not really qualified to answer definitively, but I don't think we have a time in history that we've been totally without sin.

(15-10-2015 10:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Another one(sorry), has Judaism ever had the doctrine of sacrifice?

Well, I don't want to get too far off topic, but yes, Judaism has a well documented doctrine of animal sacrifice.

(15-10-2015 10:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't really understand what it is you are attempting to say.
Sorry, could you be more to the point please.

Confused Sorry. I'll try to clarify.

Some of the things that you said back a few posts seemed very "spiritual" to me. They seemed like they were your personal experience based on what you feel. I could have read too far into what you were trying to say, but it seemed like you were drawing a parallel to your spirituality and a resistance to being attacked by animals. -I'm not sure if this was what you what you leading up to with that, but I am aware of messianic scripture which talks about people being perfectly safe around dangerous animals.

That type of fervent spirituality is kind of foreign to me, but I do see it in fundamental groups (I even see it with a few fundamental Jews.) And while my perceptions here are colored by what I've seen in my personal life, I view fundamentalism and intense spirituality as being counter productive to being a contributing member of society and attending to real responsibilities. It seems to prioritize feeling warm and fuzzy over learning, doing, and growing into a well-rounded human being.

-And I don't think that there's biblical president to justify anyone throwing themselves into a religion that places so much emphasis on feeling and believing, whether it's idolatrous or not.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
15-10-2015, 10:53 PM
That must be why I never got it. I was never excluding anyone.

True Faith is like personal fact. You do not loose a fact or something important that you know unless you are old or have some mental condition. You don't just not " loose" something that you already know. What you are talking about is belief or hope I suppose. I understand how someone can loose a belief. But if my arm was cut off at one point in time; I would always know that I had one less arm. Everything about Faith says you can't loose it. It is a part of you. Like a memory that pertains to everything.

Why would people fake something to the point of dieing for it? At what point does shit become real for you?

True Faith in the merciful God, the creator of all things shields from everything, even doubts.

What is it you think I'm scared of?

You have know idea how much spine I have. Really what would I be being spineless about?

What would I be running from in my Faith? I am not a coward.
15-10-2015, 11:04 PM
(15-10-2015 10:10 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah if heard that a few times but I haven't grasped the concept.

Which concept? The concept that excluding people who disagree with you or represent a point against you which would normally be defined as a part of your set based on arbitrary redefinitions so as to 'invalidate' responses based on them, or the concept that real Scotsmen wear kilts, and any without aren't really Scots?
Ok, think I get it, and it doesn't relate because Faith is knowing something. And no one is leaving anyone out. One can stop believing in the tooth fairy. One can also stop believing in God if they find a reason to or lack of a reason not to. Faith and belief aren't the same. That's all their is to it. Belief can lead to Faith but Faith isn't going to diminish in the lack of physical evidence because it isn't a physical thing. It's an understanding. A way of being.
15-10-2015, 11:16 PM
(15-10-2015 10:53 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That must be why I never got it. I was never excluding anyone.

True Faith is like personal fact. You do not loose a fact or something important that you know unless you are old or have some mental condition. You don't just not " loose" something that you already know. What you are talking about is belief or hope I suppose. I understand how someone can loose a belief. But if my arm was cut off at one point in time; I would always know that I had one less arm. Everything about Faith says you can't loose it. It is a part of you. Like a memory that pertains to everything.

This is the problem. Right here.

You can't place yourself in the shoes of others, can you? You can't believe others lost their faith because you are so damn internally focused you can't even imagine it as a possibility, let alone actually consider it as a reality, so for the sake of escaping cognitive dissonance, you concoct reasons for it; clearly they weren't real believers, they didn't have true faith; they weren't true Scotsmen, how could they be? I can't be wrong here, I feel it, I have faith!

And you know what? A lot of people felt the exact same way before it hit them that their precious faith with a capital F wasn't right. Plenty of people on this forum alone I'm sure could tell you their experience; they felt god's presence daily, they felt they were right, they knew it with all their heart, and nothing on God's green Earth could have convinced them otherwise. Until something did.

Of course, it's up to them to communicate it; I certainly can't. Being somebody who has never been in that position, I can only relay so much of what I've heard over the years.

As one last point here:

(15-10-2015 10:53 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Why would people fake something to the point of dieing for it? At what point does shit become real for you?

Who said anything about faking it? People can believe something with all the power of their brain and be absolutely willing to martyr themselves for it, but it doesn't make it reality.
If it did, I hope you look forward to meeting Ganesha, and Allah, and Mars, and Britannia, and Yahweh, and Marduk, and Amaterasu (and the list goes on forever) when you expire.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
15-10-2015, 11:21 PM
(15-10-2015 10:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, I don't want to get too far off topic, but yes, Judaism has a well documented doctrine of animal sacrifice.

Okay, I'm sorry for the double post and getting in the way of your thread, but one last thing and I'll be gone...

Does anybody you know take the whole 'centripetal sin transmission into a chicken' thing seriously?

I... I just have to know if that's actually a thing.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-10-2015, 11:29 PM
(15-10-2015 11:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, I don't want to get too far off topic, but yes, Judaism has a well documented doctrine of animal sacrifice.

Okay, I'm sorry for the double post and getting in the way of your thread, but one last thing and I'll be gone...

Does anybody you know take the whole 'centripetal sin transmission into a chicken' thing seriously?

I... I just have to know if that's actually a thing.

Kaparot?

[Image: F120923NS26-635x357.jpg]

It's a Hasidic thing, and you can see it wherever they congregate; including enclaves in New York city. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post