Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 06:51 AM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  No, I get evangelism. What I don’t understand is when your audience isn’t receptive to what you’re saying, why don’t you just trod off and reevaluate your argument? Take a moment to plug the holes and try to come up with good answers to the objections that were raised… Then present your updated argument at a later time and see if your audience isn’t more receptive.

I think Julep nailed it. Also simple trolling is a thing.

As for audience I don't think it would ever be receptive, for what new arguments for existence of god could be found.

(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  And there are also theists here who are not evangelizing…. And I’ll grant you that I’m not going to dig through past posts to evaluate each theist here, but I don’t see evangelism from every theist.

Sure, some of them are simply trolling.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Occasionally, it's just a prank visit. You can tell the "Hey, watch me mess with some atheists and show them the Truth," posts when there are an inordinate number of guests lurking. Saving face for the OP is difficult, and usually amounts to "Gawd says..." and "You're going to burn in hell..." posts.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-09-2015, 07:03 AM
(21-09-2015 06:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  No, I get evangelism. What I don’t understand is when your audience isn’t receptive to what you’re saying, why don’t you just trod off and reevaluate your argument? Take a moment to plug the holes and try to come up with good answers to the objections that were raised… Then present your updated argument at a later time and see if your audience isn’t more receptive.

An argument for the existence of unicorns is always going to have holes which can't be plugged due to the simple fact that they don't exist, which by default limits our selection of theist debaters to the irrational.

But when they see that their unicorn argument isn't gaining any traction with their audience, wouldn't the logical thing be to STOP arguing, and then go reevaluate? They can't know that their argument has holes in it until they present it to people who (for whatever reason) don't already believe in unicorns.

So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 07:05 AM
I think a lot of them don't expect push-back. They think the forums full of atheists are just waiting for one of the True Faith to come along, and they will speak and magically all of us will realise that we've all been wrong, beg God for forgiveness etc.

The other thing is that theists don't tend to logic good. To them a valid answer to "So everything that exists requires a cause, right? So what caused God?" is "God is the creator". i.e. they don't run away, because they *think* that they have a genuine knock-down never-before-seen argument for God. When it fails to convince us they have any number of memes to choose from to explain to themselves *why* this should be the case:
  • We are trolling them.
  • The Devil is tempting us and them. This is especially true if one of our replies causes them to doubt. OH SHIT!!! It's the DEVIL!
  • We are genuine in our unbelief but just too stubborn to admit that they are right.
  • etc.

Quote:And there are also theists here who are not evangelizing…. And I’ll grant you that I’m not going to dig through past posts to evaluate each theist here, but I don’t see evangelism from every theist.
I think that *some* theists here, including yourself, are interested in exploring alternative points of view... A lot seem less interested in what we *do* think than in telling us what we *should* think.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 07:10 AM
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.

Maybe they still want to "save" the atheist from "threat" of hell? Maybe they believe that whatever they repeating will be accepted if reapeted enough times? Or maybe they do it just for lolz?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
21-09-2015, 07:10 AM
(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ... What I don’t understand is when your audience isn’t receptive to what you’re saying, why don’t you just trod off and reevaluate your argument? Take a moment to plug the holes and try to come up with good answers to the objections that were raised ...

The only honest re-evaluations of theistic "arguments" lead away from theism, and the only good answers to athiests' objections are to acknowledge their salience, again, leading away from theism. Theism hasn't got anything to plug its holes with. Hence most theists' exchanges in these threads are tedious and predictably repetitive - and lead nowhere.

I don't understand why they keep it up, by why their "arguments" are always the same is no mystery at all.
[+] 7 users Like Airportkid's post
21-09-2015, 07:14 AM
(21-09-2015 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.

Maybe they still want to "save" the atheist from "threat" of hell? Maybe they believe that whatever they repeating will be accepted if reapeted enough times? Or maybe they do it just for lolz?

The "hair shirt" thing too, maybe. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 07:14 AM
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.

I think it might be the latent desire to simultaneously experience flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality (as the saying goes).

Angel

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2015, 07:16 AM
(21-09-2015 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

I suspect the reason that theists proselytize is for pretty much the same reason little men with small penises drive H3 Hummers - or closeted gay men become gay bashers.

Overcompensation.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-09-2015, 07:17 AM
(21-09-2015 07:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ...

I think it might be the latent desire to simultaneously experience flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality (as the saying goes).

Angel

Laugh out loadBowing

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post