Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 07:19 AM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(21-09-2015 07:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe they still want to "save" the atheist from "threat" of hell? Maybe they believe that whatever they repeating will be accepted if reapeted enough times? Or maybe they do it just for lolz?

The "hair shirt" thing too, maybe. Undecided

It would be hilarious: imagine priest who say to petitioner - as a penance you must try to convert people from TTA.

I imagine it is penance for worst sins like not going to the church on Sunday or something like this. Nothing less warrant such punishment.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
21-09-2015, 07:57 AM
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 06:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  An argument for the existence of unicorns is always going to have holes which can't be plugged due to the simple fact that they don't exist, which by default limits our selection of theist debaters to the irrational.

But when they see that their unicorn argument isn't gaining any traction with their audience, wouldn't the logical thing be to STOP arguing, and then go reevaluate? They can't know that their argument has holes in it until they present it to people who (for whatever reason) don't already believe in unicorns.

So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.

It would be logical. But the fact that their intent is to argue for the existence of unicorns or some other similar fantasy being implies that logic is not likely to be a factor in their arguments to begin with. In order to reevaluate, you have to have evaluated in the first place.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
21-09-2015, 08:27 AM
(21-09-2015 07:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think a lot of them don't expect push-back. They think the forums full of atheists are just waiting for one of the True Faith to come along, and they will speak and magically all of us will realise that we've all been wrong, beg God for forgiveness etc.

I was on another forum for a while a few years back that was a mix of theists and atheists and remember one theist posting that she was leaving for just that reason. She said basically that she had expected to be able to post how good it was to have faith and that atheists would see the error of their ways and be saved. She was pretty clueless about why anybody didn't just accept her word.

I suspect that some (not all by any means) theists posting here are looking to bolster their faith because they have doubts and are terrified to let go. Others just haven't ever really thought about why they believe or why others might not. The few that have and understand that belief on faith and belief on evidence are not the same are definitely much easier to get along with.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
21-09-2015, 08:39 AM
It's all part of the mythology. Acts of the apostles has all these stories about how X apostle (usually Paul) would rock up at a town (e.g. Athens) and teach the unbelievers and some would be convinced and others (the horrible sinful ones) would go drum up a crowd to stone him, so the believers would secretly let him out the city and Brave Brave St Paul would bravely run away to convert the next bunch of marks.

The jokers who come here, I'm pretty convinced, have the same idea. They'll rock up and post some stuff and the 'seekers' the ones who seek truth (as opposed to us, what's been steeped in villainy and corruption) will gather at their feet. Meantime ye heinous villeins will stir up a motley crowd of mods and admins, and come bearing pitchforks chanting "Ban the sock!", and they will be banneth, (which is like unto being crucified except less painful), and will hie them to the next atheist forum like the apostle Paul gallivanting around the Med Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 09:28 AM
(21-09-2015 07:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 06:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  An argument for the existence of unicorns is always going to have holes which can't be plugged due to the simple fact that they don't exist, which by default limits our selection of theist debaters to the irrational.

But when they see that their unicorn argument isn't gaining any traction with their audience, wouldn't the logical thing be to STOP arguing, and then go reevaluate? They can't know that their argument has holes in it until they present it to people who (for whatever reason) don't already believe in unicorns.

So I guess I do understand the motive that brings evangelicals to an atheist forum, but I don't understand why they beat a dead horse when their audience turns hostile.

I think they think they have good arguments and we are the ones with poor responses. I don't think they look at it as beating a dead horse because they look at their responses as truth. If they believe they are spouting "truth"--there is no need to reevaluate.

When I was a Christian, God ='s truth. Jesus ='s truth. Atheist='s Bad. No further research necessary.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
21-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Whatever the fuck you're smoking, morondog, I want some. Yes

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 09:44 AM
(21-09-2015 09:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Whatever the fuck you're smoking, morondog, I want some. Yes

Only the finest cock Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 10:52 AM
(21-09-2015 09:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Whatever the fuck you're smoking, morondog, I want some. Yes

Only the finest cock Yes

Oops

As you were. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2015, 10:56 AM
(21-09-2015 10:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-09-2015 09:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  Only the finest cock Yes

Oops

As you were. Angel

I almost snorted soda through my nose. Thanks a lot, you two. Big Grin
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2015 12:33 PM by Tomasia.)
(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What motivates my fellow theists into coming to this forum and subjecting themselves to potential ridicule and insult? As I browse through the threads and posts, it’s hard not to notice that theists will tolerate an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them…. But why? Why not just leave for greener pastures?

I'd say I'm not particularly comfortable with green pastures. If it's too green, I don't trust it. I'd say I like the tension. I like the idea of being surrounded by other minds that are bit different than my own, and wondering what takes place in them. When that tension turns to ridicule and insult, I think that's good for me too. It keeps me from being overtly sensitive. If I can find a way of not resenting the person, or turning to ridicule and insults myself, maintain my zen, I am satisfied by this as well.

I don't like feeling resentful, or frustrated, or even angry. One way is to distant yourself from the things that make you resentful, frustrated or even angry, another way is stop letting yourself become resentful, frustrated or angry by them. If I can find some way to maintain some affection for people, even if that affection is not mutual, I consider that a good thing. Perhaps a form of the only good thing, "to ladle out benediction upon the heads of strangers instead of curses”.

As far as desiring to convert atheists to believers, I think that's just silly. I don't think I am gonna move a single person not even one iota, no matter how long I stay here, no matter how many threads or posts that I respond to or create, closer to accepting my Christian beliefs. If anything I might be giving them more reasons to reject it, lol. Some times an itch arises, a thought an idea appears in my head, with some relationship with atheism vs theism debate, and recognizing my own limitations in conceptualizing what possible objections are, I come here to see what are some I might be avoiding, and if anything particularly poses any serous doubts on my original thought. Sometimes it's back to the drawing bored, sometimes it's not. Sometimes something gets built. Sometimes something falls apart.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 7 users Like Tomasia's post