Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2015, 11:09 AM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(21-09-2015 06:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Oh, I’ve totally encountered evangelism. I’ve encountered it in spades, and when people find out that I’m Jewish, they start salivating in anticipation of the delicious cookie they believe G-d will give them for saving a Jew.

Triple points. When I aced the Navy's Nuclear Power School entrance exam I saw that same look from my recruiter. Nukes count as triple points.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-09-2015, 11:19 AM
(21-09-2015 10:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What motivates my fellow theists into coming to this forum and subjecting themselves to potential ridicule and insult? As I browse through the threads and posts, it’s hard not to notice that theists will tolerate an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them…. But why? Why not just leave for greener pastures?

I'd say I'm not particularly comfortable with green pastures. If it's too green, I don't trust it. I'd say I like the tension. I like the idea of being surrounded by other minds that are bit different than my own, and wondering what takes place in them. When that tension turns to ridicule and insult, I think that's good for me too. It keeps me from being overtly sensitive. If I can find a way of not resenting the person, or turning to ridicule and insults myself, maintain my zen, I am satisfied by this as well.

I don't like feeling resentful, or frustrated, or even angry. One way is to distant yourself from the things that make you resentful, frustrated or even angry, another way is stop letting yourself become resentful, frustrated or angry by them. If I can find some way to maintain some affection for people, even if that affection is not mutual, I consider that a very good things. Perhaps a form of the only good thing, "to ladle out benediction upon the heads of strangers instead of curses”.

I can fully appreciate how good it is to have civil conversations with those who disagree with you. I like green pastures too, but if I’m never challenged to question anything, then I’m not really growing and learning.

You sound like a very good person, both smart and kind.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Hmph. I like uncivil conversations just fine too. It's helluva liberating to throw everything including the kitchen sink at some recalcitrant bonehead. And I don't got not God-given morals to restrain me Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
21-09-2015, 03:30 PM
(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What motivates my fellow theists into coming to this forum and subjecting themselves to potential ridicule and insult? As I browse through the threads and posts, it’s hard not to notice that theists will tolerate an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them…. But why? Why not just leave for greener pastures?

My own reasons for coming here boil down to a desire to have exposure to atheists who are not from a Jewish background. I feel that this kind of exposure will help me relate better to people who will be in my future professional field.

So theists, why are you here?
I like to know what their responses would be to whatever I say.
Who cares about their insults? I don't even know those people. They don't know me.
In real world they are good people. In real world normal people do NOT insult others with whom they disagree. Only nuts react this way.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 3 users Like Alla's post
21-09-2015, 03:34 PM
(21-09-2015 03:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  

My own reasons for coming here boil down to a desire to have exposure to atheists who are not from a Jewish background. I feel that this kind of exposure will help me relate better to people who will be in my future professional field.

So theists, why are you here?
I like to know what their responses would be to whatever I say.
Who cares about their insults? I don't even know those people. They don't know me.
In real world they are good people. In real world normal people do NOT insult others with whom they disagree. Only nuts react this way.

I love your confidence and self-assurance!
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-09-2015, 09:20 PM
(21-09-2015 03:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-09-2015 11:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
an alarming amount of hostility directed toward them

That's just Bucky. Everyone else ... sweetness and light.

Angel

[Image: 4d0a6ffffe1aa751f1167710bca4b727.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Theists, what brings you to TTA?
I always figured they came here for DLJ. I think he's dreamy.

All seriousness aside though, I've often wondered if the peaceful theists visit for similar reasons to my own for listening to Christian radio on my drive home. Admittedly, one reason is because it's the only station with reception through the mountain pass. But I've been trying to figure out other reasons why I might have developed this habit. Practice in identifying logical fallacies? Learning how some Christians reason (or don't)? Humor? Just to have voices in the background? I'm still figuring it all out.

But yeah: DLJ. What a specimen, eh?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 5 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
22-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Seems like a lot of theists are here for "school assigments." The problem, as mentioned by others, is the assignment never intellectually stimulates the student to ask reasonable questions. Instead student theists come here, copy & paste their assignment (which is just the usual script), & then don't engage the conversation with any serious attempt to understand/ learn any of it. It's a mockery of education, & the students should be pissed off to be dealt such drivel as an assignment.
22-09-2015, 07:38 PM
(22-09-2015 06:03 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I always figured they came here for DLJ. I think he's dreamy.

All seriousness aside though, I've often wondered if the peaceful theists visit for similar reasons to my own for listening to Christian radio on my drive home. Admittedly, one reason is because it's the only station with reception through the mountain pass. But I've been trying to figure out other reasons why I might have developed this habit. Practice in identifying logical fallacies? Learning how some Christians reason (or don't)? Humor? Just to have voices in the background? I'm still figuring it all out.

I'd do him. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-09-2015, 07:40 PM
(22-09-2015 07:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 06:03 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I always figured they came here for DLJ. I think he's dreamy.

I'd do him. Angel

TMI Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat