Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 08:49 PM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(13-10-2015 08:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Feel obligated.

Yabut, why?

(13-10-2015 08:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not to mention the stimulating conversation.

Stimulating conversation, here? Surely you jest.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 08:52 PM
(13-10-2015 08:49 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Feel obligated.

Yabut, why?

(13-10-2015 08:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not to mention the stimulating conversation.

Faith. And yes I was sorta joking about the stimulating conversation. But I'm at fault more than most. I'm a terrible communicator and rarely proof read. Quirky auto correct seals the deal by making me less coherent and more idiotic sounding, yay!
[+] 3 users Like popsthebuilder's post
13-10-2015, 10:36 PM
(13-10-2015 08:52 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:49 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yabut, why?

Faith. And yes I was sorta joking about the stimulating conversation. But I'm at fault more than most. I'm a terrible communicator and rarely proof read. Quirky auto correct seals the deal by making me less coherent and more idiotic sounding, yay!

I realize that you said that you feel an obligation to be here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that obligation is due to a religious requirement to witness. But if your audience isn't receptive then why continue, especially if the conversation isn't even stimulating?

-Do you ever fear that you may be convinced that they're right and you're wrong?
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
14-10-2015, 08:36 AM
(13-10-2015 10:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:52 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Faith. And yes I was sorta joking about the stimulating conversation. But I'm at fault more than most. I'm a terrible communicator and rarely proof read. Quirky auto correct seals the deal by making me less coherent and more idiotic sounding, yay!

I realize that you said that you feel an obligation to be here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that obligation is due to a religious requirement to witness. But if your audience isn't receptive then why continue, especially if the conversation isn't even stimulating?

-Do you ever fear that you may be convinced that they're right and you're wrong?
They are receptive to a point. No I do not fear that at all. Was atheist for over 20 years. Nothing will ever change what I have been shown. If was the only person in the world to hold my views I wouldn't consider them to be false.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
14-10-2015, 08:53 AM
(14-10-2015 08:36 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I realize that you said that you feel an obligation to be here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that obligation is due to a religious requirement to witness. But if your audience isn't receptive then why continue, especially if the conversation isn't even stimulating?

They are receptive to a point. No I do not fear that at all. Was atheist for over 20 years. Nothing will ever change what I have been shown. If was the only person in the world to hold my views I wouldn't consider them to be false.

I imagine it’s your prior experience as an atheist that draws you to an atheist forum as opposed to another type of forum. –And as a former atheist, I would expect that at some time in your life, you valued hard evidence over faith. In your journey to become a Christian, do you think that your position was changed due to the introduction of new evidence, or that you simply wished to start having faith?

If you have new evidence, is your evidence verifiable by others?
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
14-10-2015, 08:57 AM
(14-10-2015 08:53 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:36 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  They are receptive to a point. No I do not fear that at all. Was atheist for over 20 years. Nothing will ever change what I have been shown. If was the only person in the world to hold my views I wouldn't consider them to be false.

I imagine it’s your prior experience as an atheist that draws you to an atheist forum as opposed to another type of forum. –And as a former atheist, I would expect that at some time in your life, you valued hard evidence over faith. In your journey to become a Christian, do you think that your position was changed due to the introduction of new evidence, or that you simply wished to start having faith?

It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years. But technically I would most likely still be atheist or at least agnostic if personal irrefutable evidence hadn't been shown to me directly. No, the nature of the spiritual and workings of the inner mind are not observable to the point of proof to an outsider. I wish they were.
14-10-2015, 09:07 AM
(14-10-2015 08:57 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:53 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I imagine it’s your prior experience as an atheist that draws you to an atheist forum as opposed to another type of forum. –And as a former atheist, I would expect that at some time in your life, you valued hard evidence over faith. In your journey to become a Christian, do you think that your position was changed due to the introduction of new evidence, or that you simply wished to start having faith?

It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years. But technically I would most likely still be atheist or at least agnostic if personal irrefutable evidence hadn't been shown to me directly. No, the nature of the spiritual and workings of the inner mind are not observable to the point of proof to an outsider. I wish they were.

I have met a shocking number of Christians who do not realize that the evidence they present for their faith does not count as "verifiable" by others. They tell me stories about how they were once drunks, or drug addicts, or they stole things from others... whatever it was, they claim that Jesus fixed them, so it's obviously true that Jesus is real, otherwise they'd still be broken.

Do you ever find yourself trying to explain to your fellow Christians why their personal testimonies may not be received by others as undeniable proof of the existence of G-d?
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
14-10-2015, 10:08 AM
(14-10-2015 08:57 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years. But technically I would most likely still be atheist or at least agnostic if personal irrefutable evidence hadn't been shown to me directly. No, the nature of the spiritual and workings of the inner mind are not observable to the point of proof to an outsider. I wish they were.

Do you think it is possible for somebody to believe that they had been shown something but that it was in actuality just a delusion?

How can you possibly tell reality from delusion if you can't verify it?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
14-10-2015, 10:42 AM
It is habit to "return fire" in this mental version of The Crusades with a blind fervor, but I think many of these theists are here on the path to their eventual deconversion. A little compassion goes a long way.
14-10-2015, 10:46 AM
(14-10-2015 10:42 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is habit to "return fire" in this mental version of The Crusades with a blind fervor, but I think many of these theists are here on the path to their eventual deconversion. A little compassion goes a long way.

Have any of the long-term forum members observed the deconversion of any theists who came here? -Specifically the ones who came here to evangelize and not the ones who are not 100% sure about Christianity and come here to get the other side of the story.