Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Theists, what brings you to TTA?
I'm still technically new, but in my short time here, I've seen both kinds of theists. The evangelists (some of which are just drive-by) and apologists really don't care what anyone thinks. They just want to testify and witness, hoping we'll see the error of our heathen ways.

You (Aliza) and kingschosen aren't like that. While you two may never deconvert, you two can discuss without falling into the first category. You may see some inconsistencies in your respective religions but at least you aren't here to proselytize.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
14-10-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(14-10-2015 10:56 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm still technically new, but in my short time here, I've seen both kinds of theists. The evangelists (some of which are just drive-by) and apologists really don't care what anyone thinks. They just want to testify and witness, hoping we'll see the error of our heathen ways.

You (Aliza) and kingschosen aren't like that. While you two may never deconvert, you two can discuss without falling into the first category. You may see some inconsistencies in your respective religions but at least you aren't here to proselytize.

Actually, my religion strongly discourages proselytizing. If anyone here decided that they liked what I have to say, they would soon discover that the road to becoming Jewish is more trouble than it's worth. Cool

[Image: 0XGOH.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
14-10-2015, 11:42 AM
(14-10-2015 11:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Actually, my religion strongly discourages proselytizing.
Yeah, I got a lot of Jewish friends. I used to be a kabbalist so I was kind of destined to meet Jews, too. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
14-10-2015, 05:36 PM
(14-10-2015 11:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:56 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm still technically new, but in my short time here, I've seen both kinds of theists. The evangelists (some of which are just drive-by) and apologists really don't care what anyone thinks. They just want to testify and witness, hoping we'll see the error of our heathen ways.

Actually, my religion strongly discourages proselytizing. If anyone here decided that they liked what I have to say, they would soon discover that the road to becoming Jewish is more trouble than it's worth. Cool

It's true, pig just tastes too good to give up.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
14-10-2015, 05:46 PM
(14-10-2015 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:57 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years. But technically I would most likely still be atheist or at least agnostic if personal irrefutable evidence hadn't been shown to me directly. No, the nature of the spiritual and workings of the inner mind are not observable to the point of proof to an outsider. I wish they were.

I have met a shocking number of Christians who do not realize that the evidence they present for their faith does not count as "verifiable" by others. They tell me stories about how they were once drunks, or drug addicts, or they stole things from others... whatever it was, they claim that Jesus fixed them, so it's obviously true that Jesus is real, otherwise they'd still be broken.

Do you ever find yourself trying to explain to your fellow Christians why their personal testimonies may not be received by others as undeniable proof of the existence of G-d?
To be honest, I keep to myself. I do understand that the things that are undeniable and irrefutable to me are not too convincing to hard core secular types.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
14-10-2015, 05:53 PM
(14-10-2015 11:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

Do you eat and cook kosher? My Jewish friend eats anything. She's funny, she gripes about traditional kosher food and loooooooves bacon. Yup, she never proselytizes....ever. If she did I think it would end our friendship.

She also had a nose job. She claims she had a Jewish nose and didn't like it so, what the hell, she simply changed it. Funny gal.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-10-2015, 05:54 PM
(14-10-2015 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:57 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years.
Do you ever find yourself trying to explain to your fellow Christians why their personal testimonies may not be received by others as undeniable proof of the existence of G-d?

I don't read Pops as a Christian. More like a pantheist or panentheist.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-10-2015, 05:56 PM
(14-10-2015 10:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:57 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It was through hope for change as I was in a really bad spot for years. But technically I would most likely still be atheist or at least agnostic if personal irrefutable evidence hadn't been shown to me directly. No, the nature of the spiritual and workings of the inner mind are not observable to the point of proof to an outsider. I wish they were.

Do you think it is possible for somebody to believe that they had been shown something but that it was in actuality just a delusion?

How can you possibly tell reality from delusion if you can't verify it?
Sure there is always a chance that some may be confused or delusional. I have experienced a lot of things including hallucinations induced by psychedelic, and separately from sleep deprivation alone. My personal salvation was not like those instances though. I was sober and had been for some time. I was eating and sleeping pretty regular as well. The thing that gets me is that when God came to me and did all the things that he did I was driving. I didn't black out, but I surely wasn't paying attention to the road. I have been really fd up before. There just isn't much to compare my experience to as far as drugs are concerned. If I was generally in outer space with my head in the clouds then I would maybe relate my experience to that, but until my salvation I was firmly planted on the ground and in a secular mindset. Still am too, for the most part. Guess that's why I get pissed when people assume if always been up in the clouds. I have always considered science and the observable to be without doubt. Just have uncovering faith now too.
14-10-2015, 06:01 PM
(14-10-2015 10:46 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:42 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is habit to "return fire" in this mental version of The Crusades with a blind fervor, but I think many of these theists are here on the path to their eventual deconversion. A little compassion goes a long way.

Have any of the long-term forum members observed the deconversion of any theists who came here? -Specifically the ones who came here to evangelize and not the ones who are not 100% sure about Christianity and come here to get the other side of the story.

I don't recall any deconversions unless you consider someone coming here who is on there way to non-belief and are looking to see if there are others who think the same way. Fence-sitters looking for like-minded people, I suppose.

There are some theists, like yourself, KC, and a few others who are here to interact with people in ways other than religious discussion.

When the vitriol comes out it's usually aimed at theists who come here and start off with - you are all a bunch of godless heathens and you are going to burn in hell - or something similar. There are also those who think that ALL atheists think the exact same things about everything. We get thrown under blanket statements that are really not true. The only thing that is the same about us (atheists) is that we don't believe in a god or gods and we don't practice a religion.

We are often told we have no morals because morals can only come from religion. We are told we hate god, we are told we are angry, we are told that we have been deceived, we are told we just want to be able to sin...we are told we are bad people and we need the salvation that only that specific theist can guide us toward.

When a theist comes on and engages in conversations, asks questions, participates in various areas of the forum without throwing in the preaching, there is seldom a problem.

We have had students come on here and ask questions to help them with a project or report in school. Mostly they are respectful and are responded to in kind.

As for why theists come here...we see so many who are on a mission from their god to save us...I am actually okay with that if it's done out of real concern on the part of the theist. The problem for me comes in when a thanks but no thanks is met with condemnation.

I must say that I am confused as to why a theist would come here and not expect a little kick back. It is clearly named - The Thinking Atheist. When you walk into someone else's house and do so with respect you are generally met with respect. When you walk in with a superior attitude - expect some attitude back - it's not like we haven't heard it all before - a zillion times.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
14-10-2015, 06:05 PM
(14-10-2015 10:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Do you think it is possible for somebody to believe that they had been shown something but that it was in actuality just a delusion?

How can you possibly tell reality from delusion if you can't verify it?
Oh yeah, it is verified to me daily. Of course this can't be proven. Imagine that.