Theists, what brings you to TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 06:05 PM
RE: Theists, what brings you to TTA?
(14-10-2015 05:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 11:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Actually, my religion strongly discourages proselytizing. If anyone here decided that they liked what I have to say, they would soon discover that the road to becoming Jewish is more trouble than it's worth. Cool

[Image: 0XGOH.jpg]

Do you eat and cook kosher? My Jewish friend eats anything. She's funny, she gripes about traditional kosher food and loooooooves bacon. Yup, she never proselytizes....ever. If she did I think it would end our friendship.

She also had a nose job. She claims she had a Jewish nose and didn't like it so, what the hell, she simply changed it. Funny gal.

Yes, I'm completely kosher. Before going kosher, I had gone through a phase where I ate a little shellfish, but I've never really had pork.

I've also had a nose job. It's almost like a rite of passage for a Jewish teenage girl. Most of my friends got their noses done in highschool.

.... what a vapid culture I come from. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2015, 06:08 PM
(14-10-2015 10:42 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is habit to "return fire" in this mental version of The Crusades with a blind fervor, but I think many of these theists are here on the path to their eventual deconversion. A little compassion goes a long way.
Deconversion? Why would you want to remove someone from Faith? I understand that many where born into misconception and that false doctrine causes confusion and weak Faith. It's just not cool. I'll leave it at that. Just not in the mood to fight right now I guess.
14-10-2015, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 06:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-10-2015 10:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  How can you possibly tell reality from delusion if you can't verify it?

I don't trust the verification process.

#sigh
14-10-2015, 06:13 PM
(14-10-2015 06:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:42 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is habit to "return fire" in this mental version of The Crusades with a blind fervor, but I think many of these theists are here on the path to their eventual deconversion. A little compassion goes a long way.
Deconversion? Why would you want to remove someone from Faith? I understand that many where born into misconception and that false doctrine causes confusion and weak Faith. It's just not cool. I'll leave it at that. Just not in the mood to fight right now I guess.

Why do you feel the need to move someone toward faith? What's in it for you?

Many were once in the faith and you can't say it was weak faith in all cases.

Saying that some were born into misconception and false doctrine is exactly what I mean by proclaiming that you know what's best for others...and that they are incapable of making an informed decision.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-10-2015, 06:13 PM
(14-10-2015 06:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I've also had a nose job. It's almost like a rite of passage for a Jewish teenage girl. Most of my friends got their noses done in highschool.

Do you have tattoos? Like on your lower back?

#sigh
14-10-2015, 06:15 PM
(14-10-2015 06:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 06:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I've also had a nose job. It's almost like a rite of passage for a Jewish teenage girl. Most of my friends got their noses done in highschool.

Do you have tattoos? Like on your lower back?

No, no tattoos. No piercings.
14-10-2015, 06:17 PM
(14-10-2015 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 09:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Do you ever find yourself trying to explain to your fellow Christians why their personal testimonies may not be received by others as undeniable proof of the existence of G-d?

I don't read Pops as a Christian. More like a pantheist or panentheist.
I think all creation is of God but I also know that a personal connection to God is the way to the right path. I don't know what I would be called as I believe in the One God that created all and is still involved directly with it's creation. The bible, Torah, Qur'an, book of Enoch, Exeter book, and the Gita are all ways to the same truth and God to me. I call myself truly faithful. I know there are truly faithful and rightly guided individuals in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Druze, and Bahia religions. I also understand that there are exponentially more hypocrites in each than there are truly faithful.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
14-10-2015, 06:20 PM
(14-10-2015 06:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:46 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Have any of the long-term forum members observed the deconversion of any theists who came here? -Specifically the ones who came here to evangelize and not the ones who are not 100% sure about Christianity and come here to get the other side of the story.

I don't recall any deconversions unless you consider someone coming here who is on there way to non-belief and are looking to see if there are others who think the same way. Fence-sitters looking for like-minded people, I suppose.

There are some theists, like yourself, KC, and a few others who are here to interact with people in ways other than religious discussion.

When the vitriol comes out it's usually aimed at theists who come here and start off with - you are all a bunch of godless heathens and you are going to burn in hell - or something similar. There are also those who think that ALL atheists think the exact same things about everything. We get thrown under blanket statements that are really not true. The only thing that is the same about us (atheists) is that we don't believe in a god or gods and we don't practice a religion.

We are often told we have no morals because morals can only come from religion. We are told we hate god, we are told we are angry, we are told that we have been deceived, we are told we just want to be able to sin...we are told we are bad people and we need the salvation that only that specific theist can guide us toward.

When a theist comes on and engages in conversations, asks questions, participates in various areas of the forum without throwing in the preaching, there is seldom a problem.

We have had students come on here and ask questions to help them with a project or report in school. Mostly they are respectful and are responded to in kind.

As for why theists come here...we see so many who are on a mission from their god to save us...I am actually okay with that if it's done out of real concern on the part of the theist. The problem for me comes in when a thanks but no thanks is met with condemnation.

I must say that I am confused as to why a theist would come here and not expect a little kick back. It is clearly named - The Thinking Atheist. When you walk into someone else's house and do so with respect you are generally met with respect. When you walk in with a superior attitude - expect some attitude back - it's not like we haven't heard it all before - a zillion times.
Blanket statements are generally from both corners from what I have witnessed here.
14-10-2015, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 06:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-10-2015 06:17 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't read Pops as a Christian. More like a pantheist or panentheist.
I think all creation is of God but I also know that a personal connection to God is the way to the right path.

I AM God. It don't get more personal than that.

(14-10-2015 06:17 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't know what I would be called as I believe in the One God that created all and is still involved directly with it's creation. The bible, Torah, Qur'an, book of Enoch, Exeter book, and the Gita are all ways to the same truth and God to me. I call myself truly faithful. I know there are truly faithful and rightly guided individuals in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Druze, and Bahia religions. I also understand that there are exponentially more hypocrites in each than there are truly faithful.

I've told you before that I don't think your metaphysics is substantially different than mine. It's just I don't see a need for faith in anything supernatural to follow the Noble Eightfold Path. I mean, what the fuck else I'm gonna do. Be an asshole?

#sigh
14-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Anjele,

Nothing is in it for me directly. It is the betterment of civilization that I am after. It is for the generations that are on their way, and is what I am supposed to do. If you found a way to bring about world peace and advancement of peaceful society and the end of poverty and needless pain wouldn't you try?

I'm sure many were in Faith of some sort. I have found one or two individuals that really know and follow the teachings of God through personal connection. The fact is that there is a new testament coming. Prior to the realization of this testament pretty much all Christians and people of other religions have the wrong idea. Some know. But compared to the religious masses, they don't equate to a very large percentage at all.

All are completely capable. Just not necessarily through the practices that they where taught. Kinda like my spelling. I can communicate, but I would do it better if I was taught right, or applied myself more.