Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
British PM Tony Blair is quoted as saying "It is undoubtedly true that people commit horrific acts of evil in the name of religion. It is also undoubtedly true that people do acts of extraordinary common good inspired by religion." (See first few seconds of Polymath's video for the quote at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Ca6jSOB...e=youtu.be)

My question for theists - what are the good thing(s) that your church or religion has accomplished that you are most proud of?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 04:17 PM
RE: Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?
(11-08-2012 04:11 PM)Jeff Wrote:  British PM Tony Blair is quoted as saying "It is undoubtedly true that people commit horrific acts of evil in the name of religion. It is also undoubtedly true that people do acts of extraordinary common good inspired by religion." (See first few seconds of Polymath's video for the quote at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Ca6jSOB...e=youtu.be)

My question for theists - what are the good thing(s) that your church or religion has accomplished that you are most proud of?

Probably when my church came together and collected money for a person who lost their job.

I was wholly shocked and brought to tears by the love that my church showed for this person.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah, the answer to this is really a no-brainer...plenty of religious people are inspired by their religion to do good and kind things for others. Would they do it even if there weren't religion? Maybe. But I for one can honestly say I don't do give anywhere near the same kind of help to others as I did when I was religious.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I see several large churches in my area have food pantries. The members support the food purchases and work their for free a few times a month.
BUT, then the head pastor delivers a sermon on Islam as the biggest threat to America, second to homosexuals.

Consider this analogy:
A local doctor dedicates his life to saving hundreds of people from countless medical problems, but he is discovered to be a life-long pedophile. Does he walk free because of all his good works? Are these like cash in the bank?
Cure one person and get to molest one young boy, all even?
We certainly would not just weight the balance.
Religion is guilty of countless atrocities. GUILTY.
The good it has done is not relevant.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
11-08-2012, 09:55 PM
In my town, there are countless church sponsored food and clothing drives each year, sometimes 3 and 4 times a year.

I know... because I donate to them. I've probably been in more different churches than most of the clergy in this town. Always just to deliver.

I think it's good that churches are able to organize charitable works. So there, one good thing that churches have provided the world; infrastructure for charity.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I think that the people who attend most churches are good people who do try to help others. There is a big church here in town that holds huge yard sales frequently...serves two purposes, things are recycled and money is made to help people.

Many years ago, Catholic charities helped me out when even my family wouldn't...this was not located in the town where I grew up...my hometown church shut me out.

However, I think that many communities of people do good things for others without that charity being based on religion.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
(11-08-2012 09:55 PM)kim Wrote:  In my town, there are countless church sponsored food and clothing drives each year, sometimes 3 and 4 times a year.

I know... because I donate to them. I've probably been in more different churches than most of the clergy in this town. Always just to deliver.

I think it's good that churches are able to organize charitable works. So there, one good thing that churches have provided the world; infrastructure for charity.

If their charity consists of asking you to donate clothes and food, what the hell are they doing with the money they rake in every Sunday?

My MILs church raised a six-figure sum for a new church roof, but I have yet to hear of any grand gesture they have made. Oh, yeah, they do the teens-to-Guatemala thing, but I've heard of no local largesse. The collection cans for poor John Doe in the 7-11 are not put there by any church.

You are right. They have the infrastructure. They just don't use it as they could.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Not all churches are wildly rich. The Catholic church, definitely, the mega churches definitely. Not all churches are 'raking' it in.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
11-08-2012, 10:54 PM
(11-08-2012 04:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, the answer to this is really a no-brainer...plenty of religious people are inspired by their religion to do good and kind things for others. Would they do it even if there weren't religion? Maybe. But I for one can honestly say I don't do give anywhere near the same kind of help to others as I did when I was religious.

As an Atheist I've worked as a Maintenance/handy man/computer tech for a non-profit group for women ,in recovery (from drugs, and alcohol), with dependent children.

I've given money to the poor, volunteered to help a church feed the poor during Thanksgiving, and now I'm working with another person to help people coming out of religion find a group.

It's actually a pretty good life. I like helping other people. Big Grin

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
(11-08-2012 10:54 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, the answer to this is really a no-brainer...plenty of religious people are inspired by their religion to do good and kind things for others. Would they do it even if there weren't religion? Maybe. But I for one can honestly say I don't do give anywhere near the same kind of help to others as I did when I was religious.

As an Atheist I've worked as a Maintenance/handy man/computer tech for a non-profit group for women ,in recovery (from drugs, and alcohol), with dependent children.

I've given money to the poor, volunteered to help a church feed the poor during Thanksgiving, and now I'm working with another person to help people coming out of religion find a group.

It's actually a pretty good life. I like helping other people. Big Grin

You'll grow out of that when you reach middle age. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post