Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 11:20 PM
RE: Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?
If I do grow out of it, at least that portion of my life I can be very content with!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
11-08-2012, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 11:51 PM by KVron.)
(11-08-2012 04:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, the answer to this is really a no-brainer...plenty of religious people are inspired by their religion to do good and kind things for others. Would they do it even if there weren't religion? Maybe. But I for one can honestly say I don't do give anywhere near the same kind of help to others as I did when I was religious.

<edit>Where the hell did my answer go??</edit>
Using the ipad to anwer here is a PITA.

I wrote:

It's more probable to help others when you beling to a group, any group, no reiligious beilefs involved.
You can see groups of bikers, gays, students, truckers, etc. etc. collecting clothes, money, food, etc. to help other people, abandoned pets, etc.

If, as you say, you don't give as much as before when you were religious it might be because you are not part of a group now, me thinks.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Hmmmm, so far the good things being described sound rather "ordinary", not "extraordinary." KCs church helping someone who lost their job is great but is it extraordinary? Not that ordinary is bad but my question is really on the implication of Mr. Blair's statement, a balancing of the "horrific acts of evil" (his words) done by religion against the "acts of extraordinary common good." For example, I'm a member of Rotary, which has 1.2 million members worldwide, so comparable in size to a small religion. Rotary has been working for 25 years to eradicate polio, which is down 99%, and now exists in just 4 countries. I think that's pretty extraordinary. I pasted in more about this below, but I'm looking for comparable "extraordinary" acts of common good done by churches/religions.

"PolioPlus, the most ambitious program in Rotary’s history, is the volunteer arm of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative. For more than 25 years, Rotary has led the private sector in the global effort to rid the world of this crippling disease. Today, PolioPlus and its role in the initiative is recognized worldwide as a model of public-private cooperation in pursuit of a humanitarian goal.

•Rotary’s financial contributions to the global polio eradication effort will reach nearly US$1.2 billion by the time the world is certified polio-free.

•Rotary’s leadership, beginning in 1985, inspired the World Health Assembly to pass a resolution to eradicate polio, which paved the way for the formation of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative in 1988.

•Thousands of Rotarians around the world have volunteered during National Immunization Days to immunize children.

•The PolioPlus program helps Rotary fund operational costs, such as transportation, vaccine delivery, social mobilization, and training of health workers, and support surveillance activities. Read more about what happens before, during, and after a National Immunization Day (NID).

•Rotarians work to encourage both donor and polio-affected governments to commit the political and financial resources needed to eradicate polio."
12-08-2012, 06:28 AM
People would do good towards each other even if religion was non-existent. It is a part of social animals, and of survival.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
12-08-2012, 09:34 AM
churches in my town are useless. There are a. dew individuals who do great things, but the churches themselves are soley for god lovin. The main catholic church has been doing renovations for the past 3 years including an eight foot gold cross on the bell tower. makes me rage.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
(11-08-2012 04:11 PM)Jeff Wrote:  what are the good thing(s) that your church or religion has accomplished that you are most proud of?

The church .. or only church I have ever in my life belonged to, helped me in many ways.

1. It saved my life in the way of breaking a serious state of depression I was suffering. Thoughts of suicide and everything else that can come with depression.

2. While I was attending this church (about 15 months) I'd say I went from agnostic, to theist... (after reading the NT) then did a complete 180 and anchored myself as an atheist (after reading the OT).

So the church helped me alot.. saved my life...and converted me to atheism.. Smartass

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
12-08-2012, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 10:30 AM by kim.)
Certainly much also depends on awareness of need. Local needs are more easily recognized and therefore are more able to be attended to, whether funding is available or not. Organization and outreach become crucial in the area of insufficient funding, which can be overwhelming if a system isn't already in place.

The church has taken this role upon itself and have become quite good at it. They have tools they've honed for centuries and continue to sharpen each day. Solicitation is what it's all about; from the largest corporation right down to the individual souls of succeeding generations. The church has their shit down ... to a science.

Several years ago during an interview, Bob Geldof spoke about meeting Mother Teresa. He reported of her numerous and tireless abilities; not as a sweet little motherly type who cared for the sick - which everyone always thought of her. No, he was amazed that she was nothing of the sort.

Rather she was a shrewd, logic-twisting, fast talking, manipulative politician, a con artist; a Rock Star. He recognized it immediately. This helped him to realize, very precisely that the dirty work was not simply caring for humanity, but getting humanity to care for itself. Much of the dirty work of altruism is about... the show.

Every Rock Star knows they have to(if even just a bit) buy into their own shit, or the show won't go on. One must believe. (I would elaborate, but that would be too easy for you; go out and experience the triumph and tears yourself.) So, the important question becomes: How can one - or many - without belief, take care of humanity?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
(11-08-2012 11:41 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, the answer to this is really a no-brainer...plenty of religious people are inspired by their religion to do good and kind things for others. Would they do it even if there weren't religion? Maybe. But I for one can honestly say I don't do give anywhere near the same kind of help to others as I did when I was religious.

<edit>Where the hell did my answer go??</edit>
Using the ipad to anwer here is a PITA.

I wrote:

It's more probable to help others when you beling to a group, any group, no reiligious beilefs involved.
You can see groups of bikers, gays, students, truckers, etc. etc. collecting clothes, money, food, etc. to help other people, abandoned pets, etc.

If, as you say, you don't give as much as before when you were religious it might be because you are not part of a group now, me thinks.

Good observation, Kvron. When I was in the church I made several trips to your country's border towns to build houses and take food and clothes and medical services to the poor who were literally living in cardboard shacks. In town we had a food pantry and regularly took meals and food to homeless folks in the park. I would visit folks in hospitals and nursing homes. All of those things involved being a part of a group who made that their focus.

I didn't mean to say by my earlier comments that atheists don't do good things. The OP asked what good acts were inspired by religion. For me, those actions were inspired by religious groups with a goal of carrying out Jesus' directives to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, and minister to the sick. I'm not part of any groups now, and especially none that do these things.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
(12-08-2012 06:28 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  People would do good towards each other even if religion was non-existent. It is a part of social animals, and of survival.

That wasn't the OP's question.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-08-2012, 12:38 PM
(12-08-2012 04:34 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Hmmmm, so far the good things being described sound rather "ordinary", not "extraordinary." KCs church helping someone who lost their job is great but is it extraordinary? Not that ordinary is bad but my question is really on the implication of Mr. Blair's statement, a balancing of the "horrific acts of evil" (his words) done by religion against the "acts of extraordinary common good." For example, I'm a member of Rotary, which has 1.2 million members worldwide, so comparable in size to a small religion. Rotary has been working for 25 years to eradicate polio, which is down 99%, and now exists in just 4 countries. I think that's pretty extraordinary. I pasted in more about this below, but I'm looking for comparable "extraordinary" acts of common good done by churches/religions.

"PolioPlus, the most ambitious program in Rotary’s history, is the volunteer arm of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative. For more than 25 years, Rotary has led the private sector in the global effort to rid the world of this crippling disease. Today, PolioPlus and its role in the initiative is recognized worldwide as a model of public-private cooperation in pursuit of a humanitarian goal.

•Rotary’s financial contributions to the global polio eradication effort will reach nearly US$1.2 billion by the time the world is certified polio-free.

•Rotary’s leadership, beginning in 1985, inspired the World Health Assembly to pass a resolution to eradicate polio, which paved the way for the formation of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative in 1988.

•Thousands of Rotarians around the world have volunteered during National Immunization Days to immunize children.

•The PolioPlus program helps Rotary fund operational costs, such as transportation, vaccine delivery, social mobilization, and training of health workers, and support surveillance activities. Read more about what happens before, during, and after a National Immunization Day (NID).

•Rotarians work to encourage both donor and polio-affected governments to commit the political and financial resources needed to eradicate polio."

After reading the majority of your posts, I have to wonder, Why so bitter?

Why not mention the thousands of hospitals built by religious communities?

Why not mention the millions of religious people who donate their time to rebuild communities after disasters like Katrina or Joplin tornadoes?

If I cared more about your question, I could google just as many religious organizations that do just as much as Rotary...Actually probably WAY more since you've only listed 1 organization.

I've had to overcome a lot of bitterness about my past Christianity. I'm wondering if other folks who are so hateful about the church need to do the same?

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post