Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?
(12-08-2012 12:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've had to overcome a lot of bitterness about my past Christianity. I'm wondering if other folks who are so hateful about the church need to do the same?

I would agree. There comes a time when one must shit or get off the pot. Quit bitching about what one doesn't have and start taking care of what one does have.

One can only control one's self. Do what one can, and stop harping on what someone else is doing or not doing.

To reiterate: The important question becomes: How can one - or many - without belief, take care of humanity?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-08-2012, 01:06 PM
(12-08-2012 12:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why not mention the thousands of hospitals built by religious communities?

Why not mention the millions of religious people who donate their time to rebuild communities after disasters like Katrina or Joplin tornadoes?

I don't have the data on those activities. This thread is an opportunity for theists to cite the big good things their organizations have accomplished.

(12-08-2012 12:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If I cared more about your question, I could google just as many religious organizations that do just as much as Rotary...Actually probably WAY more since you've only listed 1 organization.

There probably are. Maybe someone could create a thread where they ask people to talk about them. Oh..wait... I already did.

(12-08-2012 12:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've had to overcome a lot of bitterness about my past Christianity. I'm wondering if other folks who are so hateful about the church need to do the same?

I don't have a big past with religion to be bitter about. My interest is in confronting believers about their beliefs. However in this thread I am trying to validate or refute Blair's claim.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
12-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Theists - what extraordinary acts of common good has your religion done?
Fair enough. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
(12-08-2012 12:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 06:28 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  People would do good towards each other even if religion was non-existent. It is a part of social animals, and of survival.

That wasn't the OP's question.

It answered the question. Without religion, nothing would change.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Ummm Jesus and Mary like to appear on everything from toast to dirty windows.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
12-08-2012, 08:51 PM
(12-08-2012 04:34 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Hmmmm, so far the good things being described sound rather "ordinary", not "extraordinary." KCs church helping someone who lost their job is great but is it extraordinary? Not that ordinary is bad but my question is really on the implication of Mr. Blair's statement, a balancing of the "horrific acts of evil" (his words) done by religion against the "acts of extraordinary common good." For example, I'm a member of Rotary, which has 1.2 million members worldwide, so comparable in size to a small religion. Rotary has been working for 25 years to eradicate polio, which is down 99%, and now exists in just 4 countries. I think that's pretty extraordinary. I pasted in more about this below, but I'm looking for comparable "extraordinary" acts of common good done by churches/religions.

"PolioPlus, the most ambitious program in Rotary’s history, is the volunteer arm of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative. For more than 25 years, Rotary has led the private sector in the global effort to rid the world of this crippling disease. Today, PolioPlus and its role in the initiative is recognized worldwide as a model of public-private cooperation in pursuit of a humanitarian goal.

•Rotary’s financial contributions to the global polio eradication effort will reach nearly US$1.2 billion by the time the world is certified polio-free.

•Rotary’s leadership, beginning in 1985, inspired the World Health Assembly to pass a resolution to eradicate polio, which paved the way for the formation of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative in 1988.

•Thousands of Rotarians around the world have volunteered during National Immunization Days to immunize children.

•The PolioPlus program helps Rotary fund operational costs, such as transportation, vaccine delivery, social mobilization, and training of health workers, and support surveillance activities. Read more about what happens before, during, and after a National Immunization Day (NID).

•Rotarians work to encourage both donor and polio-affected governments to commit the political and financial resources needed to eradicate polio."

The events surrounding the situation were pretty extraordinary, so yes, I would say that it was.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-08-2012, 04:30 AM
(12-08-2012 03:10 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Ummm Jesus and Mary like to appear on everything from toast to dirty windows.

And bananas.

[Image: jesus_banana_3.jpg]

[Image: jesus_banana_2.jpg]

[Image: banana-jesus-appears-on-peel-13574-1261635610-2.jpg]

[Image: OH-NOES-a-banana-head-for-the-hills.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]