Theists, which matters more: action or belief?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 01:35 AM
RE: Theists, which matters more: action or belief?
(11-02-2016 12:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 10:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  Neither. It says that the demand to give up religion is the demand to change the conditions that enable it.

I will say from my own observation, that the poorer and more fucked your living situation, the more religious you are, as a general rule. I guess it's that people realise they're fucked and grasp at whatever straw they can.

It's not only you observation - according to R. Boguszewski Faith and religiosity of Poles 20 years after transformation being religious is correlated with low education level and poverty. Gallup poll also show that religion and poverty are linked.

As for conclusion I think that you're right.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
11-02-2016, 03:34 AM
(09-02-2016 09:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  And for the atheists, my expectation is that you’d favor action over belief, but if you have something else in mind, let’s hear about it.
I favour skepticism over belief.

I teach my kids to challenge me, to call bull-shit when they hear it.
I don't programme my kids to do as they are told, I teach them to think for themselves.

I'd never send them to a school that doesn't build their self skills, schools and parents ought to prepare kids for independance and equip them with critical thinking skills.

Teaching them to believe what they are told, to not trust their own judgement, to submit to an authority, to give up autonomy and become a servant/dependant is the exact opposite of what I believe in.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
11-02-2016, 02:08 PM
(11-02-2016 03:34 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  And for the atheists, my expectation is that you’d favor action over belief, but if you have something else in mind, let’s hear about it.

I don't programme my kids to do as they are told, I teach them to think for themselves.

I'd never send them to a school that doesn't build their self skills, schools and parents ought to prepare kids for independance and equip them with critical thinking skills.

Teaching them to believe what they are told, to not trust their own judgement, to submit to an authority, to give up autonomy and become a servant/dependant is the exact opposite of what I believe in.

I love this answer. I was also raised to think independently, and I can see very clearly how the ability to carefully consider things and politely challenge the status quo has impacted my development and helped me to make good choices.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
11-02-2016, 03:29 PM
(11-02-2016 03:34 AM)Stevil Wrote:  

You are a great father.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
14-02-2016, 12:41 PM
(09-02-2016 09:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, theists! I’ve got a question for you all.

Which matters more: What people believe, or how they live their lives?

Which one do you believe will have the greatest positive impact on humanity? If you, as a theist, could choose one or the other for all of mankind, which one would you choose? I’m curious to learn what you’d have people believe or by what code of behavior you’d want people to follow. And choosing to have people believe in G-d and follow the 10 commandments as a result in this belief is off the table for this little thought experiment. Belief or action, please.

And for the atheists, my expectation is that you’d favor action over belief, but if you have something else in mind, let’s hear about it.

Below is my own answer to the question:

Everything I’ve learned in Judaism indicates that action is far more important than belief. A belief in G-d is nice, and it might give someone comfort, but it’s not necessary to live a wonderful life.

We live in a physical world where we express ourselves and interact with each other physically. While our emotions may not be physical, everything that goes into generating those emotions is physical.

I’m also unaware of any scripture that requires people who believe in G-d. I also see no scriptural evidence to suggest that an afterlife will exist, or that the quality of said afterlife will depend on the belief system you held while you alive. So if fear of a terrible afterlife is lifted from the table, then all that’s left is live a wonderful life while you’re still here to enjoy it.
One of my favorite ancient Apostles of Jesus Christ answered your question:
there are three - faith, hope and charity. But the greatest of all is charity.
Another Apostle of Jesus Christ said that faith without works is dead.
I say: there is no any difference between just believing in existence of God and denying God.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
14-02-2016, 12:47 PM
(09-02-2016 09:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Which matters more: What people believe, or how they live their lives?
Which one do you believe will have the greatest positive impact on humanity?
My God and my Teacher, and my Savior Christ showed by His example what matters more: SERVICE.
To serve people is to serve God.
Heart Charity, compassion, love Heart have the greatest positive impact on humanity.

[+] 3 users Like Alla's post
14-02-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2016 01:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-02-2016 12:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Which matters more: What people believe, or how they live their lives?
My God and my Teacher, and my Savior Christ showed by His example what matters more: SERVICE.
Heart Charity, compassion, love Heart have the greatest positive impact on humanity.

You're good people, Alla.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-02-2016, 02:09 PM
(14-02-2016 12:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-02-2016, 03:44 PM
(14-02-2016 01:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 12:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  My God and my Teacher, and my Savior Christ showed by His example what matters more: SERVICE.

Thank you!
I am trying to be good people like you. But still there is infinity of room for improvement.

[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
15-02-2016, 08:08 AM
(14-02-2016 03:44 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 01:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Thank you!
I am trying to be good people like you. But still there is infinity of room for improvement.

I thought you said you weren't going to post on this forum anymore? I'm not surprised you are a liar.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post