Theodicy and kicking the can

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2014, 11:31 AM
RE: Theodicy and kicking the can
(26-11-2014 10:19 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The very idea of this existence on Earth being some kind of test is a concession that their god doesn't know everything. If the end result of you exercising free will is you end up in heaven where free will is removed, then what's the point? Your god may as well have created robots in heaven in the first place.
Also, if god is not omniscient, then god is not omnipotent, your deity has just been neutered.
Maybe it's best to point out that the writers of this ancient Hebrew myth just made stuff up and these kind of nutty contradictions result when a religious myth is created with very flawed and ancient human reasoning.

Typically some will try to alter the definitions to attempt to rationalize their beliefs.

For example, when I say that omnipotence is impossible, some will try to alter the definition of omnipotence to mean "able to do anything maximally possible" which alters the very definition of omnipotence itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
26-11-2014, 12:03 PM
RE: Theodicy and kicking the can
(26-11-2014 10:19 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The very idea of this existence on Earth being some kind of test is a concession that their god doesn't know everything.
Maybe it's best to point out that the writers of this ancient Hebrew myth just made stuff up and these kind of nutty contradictions result when a religious myth is created with very flawed and ancient human reasoning.

Maybe the religion itself is the test, and all the Christians and Jews are failing. Tongue

(26-11-2014 11:31 AM)Bear100 Wrote:  Typically some will try to alter the definitions to attempt to rationalize their beliefs.

For example, when I say that omnipotence is impossible, some will try to alter the definition of omnipotence to mean "able to do anything maximally possible" which alters the very definition of omnipotence itself.

Yeah, that happens a lot. I went back and forth with two people for quite some time before I realized we were using the word differently. When I cleared it up, they complained that my definition of "all powerful" was stupid and that no one used it that way.

[Image: skeptical-sm_zps59fc1324.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post