Theodicy dans le meilleur des mondes possibles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Theodicy dans le meilleur des mondes possibles
Wasn't sure where to put to this, so please welcome, Leibnitz, the Incredible Mental gymnast Dodgy

My favourite bit? Why, this, of course: "A world with even one less natural disaster or one less sinner would not be this world and so would be less than the best and not worthy of God’s choice."

So lovely! Don't you just wanna eat god with a spoon, the little, fluffy rascal Dodgy

[Image: 12510_fc79f85644e61b73336061894220e641.png]

[Image: 12512_74a8f422384efdde31be88a2d2a2d358.png]

[Image: 12513_38da053032cb4c18a10fe33f871fc2bd.png]

[Image: 12514_01c9d2c5b3ff5cbba349ec39a570b5e3.png]

[Image: 12527_ff2ffdc47aef555a0d07796f282b8659.png]

[Image: 12520_9d34d86df01c81eba7b2fc4a11bf0cb8.png]

Well, there's lot more and if the mental gymnastics don't give you vertigo, you're all better men that I am, Gunga Dins.

The lengths even brilliant people would go to reconcile the world we live in with their idea of a good god-monster is staggering...

Then again: "The human mind abhors a vacuum of sense. When faced with an absurdity, it strains its interpretative faculty to the utmost, trying to make the meaningless meaningful."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
19-06-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: Theodicy dans le meilleur des mondes possibles
Fail Occam's razor Fail

(but thank you for providing a very interesting philosophical comic strip)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
19-06-2017, 08:49 AM
I've always thought "theodicy" is a strange word. Just a bit too close to "idiotic" and ''idiocy".

The idiocy. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-06-2017, 09:05 AM
It's what you get when you start with the desired conclusion and then have to force the facts to fit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
19-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Leibniz was an OK guy. Didn't know he was involved with this theodicy shit, but everyone at the time was highly religious, more so than today even. Also, stuff like ghosts, spirits etc - fairy tales basically - were kinda taken for granted as being real, so serious men of science would think about those things too. Newton was the same, very religious, only he had some private belief that God was not THREE but ONE and that this trinity business was a load of crap. Old paintings of Newton (after he was enshrined in British history as somewhat of a secular saint) used to depict him with not just the Principia but also some of his theological writings which at the time were regarded as being *as important* or more so than the Principia. Let's not hold it against poor ol' Leibniz. It's really the fools who're still perpetuating such outmoded thinking who're to blame.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-06-2017, 10:15 AM
I enjoyed that he had the Eiffel Tower tourist-y souvenir centuries before it was built. Wink

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
19-06-2017, 10:28 AM
(19-06-2017 08:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've always thought "theodicy" is a strange word. Just a bit too close to "idiotic" and ''idiocy".

The idiocy. Yes

Best explanation of theodicy ever!

It should be a sub-category of the post-hoc fallacy.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-06-2017, 11:21 AM
(19-06-2017 09:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also, stuff like ghosts, spirits etc - fairy tales basically - were kinda taken for granted as being real

They still are in a place that shall remain nameless, but which some of you know quite well. Among educated folk, too...

[Image: tenor.gif]

Me, too, Bucky, me, too!

Shai, that was my favourite bit, too (some idiot commented below that it was an anachronism. Seriously, we need to invent sense of humour transplantation technique Dodgy )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-06-2017, 11:26 AM
(19-06-2017 11:21 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 09:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also, stuff like ghosts, spirits etc - fairy tales basically - were kinda taken for granted as being real

They still are in a place that shall remain nameless, but which some of you know quite well. Among educated folk, too...

[Image: tenor.gif]

Me, too, Bucky, me, too!

Shai, that was my favourite bit, too (some idiot commented below that it was an anachronism. Seriously, we need to invent sense of humour transplantation technique Dodgy )

Anachronism or not, not everyone would probably get his other souvenir. So I thought it was fun. Also Mulder and Scully! My favorite FBI agents (fictional or real ones I know...with apologies to a friend from school).

Need to think of a witty signature.
19-06-2017, 11:28 AM
(19-06-2017 09:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  Leibniz was an OK guy. Didn't know he was involved with this theodicy shit, but everyone at the time was highly religious, more so than today even. Also, stuff like ghosts, spirits etc - fairy tales basically - were kinda taken for granted as being real, so serious men of science would think about those things too. Newton was the same, very religious, only he had some private belief that God was not THREE but ONE and that this trinity business was a load of crap. Old paintings of Newton (after he was enshrined in British history as somewhat of a secular saint) used to depict him with not just the Principia but also some of his theological writings which at the time were regarded as being *as important* or more so than the Principia. Let's not hold it against poor ol' Leibniz. It's really the fools who're still perpetuating such outmoded thinking who're to blame.

If I recall correctly, Leibniz only published one book in his lifetime: Theodicy. Imagine the cartoon in the OP expanded to a few hundred pages of text. Good thing we have other stuff to remember him by.