Theodicy of Divine Chastity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2015, 08:06 PM
RE: Theodicy of Divine Chastity
(11-04-2015 08:02 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 07:57 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How are we supposed to know who "God" delegated power to??????

Do they come with a certificate of authenticity????

Or, are we just supposed to "believe"?????

(I'm betting on the "belief" angle --- it's how you promote utter nonsensical drivel)
I'm not sure if you understand what I was saying. The "power" in this case is the ability to affect the world indirectly through their decisions. So in a sense the reason why God rarely directly intervenes in the world is because God delegates the power to affect those aspects of the world to created persons.

I would still like to hear your definition of cruel and unusual punishment.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Everyone affects the world indirectly.....

If I fart in the US Midwest - it can create a hurricane in the South Pacific....

It's called "The Butterfart Effect"...

It's like the Butterfly Effect - just less well known....

And smells much, much worse....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-04-2015, 08:11 PM
(11-04-2015 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 07:50 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  The reason why is because God delegates finite powers to created persons. The created persons become co-creators in a sense.

All this stuff is explained in the article (the first one in this case), which is why I linked to it.

Prove it.
There is no person on the face of the Earth that can cure all cancers in children. If you think there is, you're more of a fool than I thought. Nice try at an excuse for your weak deity allowing all sorts of "evil". You didn't really expect to come here and have anyone buy into that bullshit you delusional people believe, did you ? You still haven't answered any of the questions. I do like the word "theodicy" though. It sort of has the ring about it that belief in the gods is theo-idiotic.
Well, sure. The powers referenced are the powers to affect the world indirectly through ones actions (similar to chaos theory). This would include the existence of cancer. My claim was not that people can directly cause (or cure) every cancer (much less that one can), but that the decisions of created persons can INDIRECTLY cause things like cancer.
11-04-2015, 08:12 PM
(11-04-2015 08:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Everyone affects the world indirectly.....

If I fart in the US Midwest - it can create a hurricane in the South Pacific....

Exactly. When one disordered event occurs, it will effect other events in a disordered way. That is what the theodicy is getting at.
11-04-2015, 08:13 PM
(11-04-2015 08:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 08:02 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  I'm not sure if you understand what I was saying. The "power" in this case is the ability to affect the world indirectly through their decisions. So in a sense the reason why God rarely directly intervenes in the world is because God delegates the power to affect those aspects of the world to created persons.

I would still like to hear your definition of cruel and unusual punishment.
Dunno man. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11-04-2015, 08:15 PM
(11-04-2015 08:12 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 08:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Everyone affects the world indirectly.....

Exactly. When one disordered event occurs, it will effect other events in a disordered way. That is what the theodicy is getting at.

Ummmmm....

OK???

(onlinebiker goes back to sharpening his sarcasm skewers, which obviously are NOT sharp enough...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-04-2015, 08:19 PM
(11-04-2015 08:11 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Prove it.
There is no person on the face of the Earth that can cure all cancers in children. If you think there is, you're more of a fool than I thought. Nice try at an excuse for your weak deity allowing all sorts of "evil". You didn't really expect to come here and have anyone buy into that bullshit you delusional people believe, did you ? You still haven't answered any of the questions. I do like the word "theodicy" though. It sort of has the ring about it that belief in the gods is theo-idiotic.

Well, sure. The powers referenced are the powers to affect the world indirectly through ones actions (similar to chaos theory). This would include the existence of cancer. My claim was not that people can directly cause (or cure) every cancer (much less that one can), but that the decisions of created persons can INDIRECTLY cause things like cancer.

Why ? Yet you claim your deity is powerful enough to stop the chain. It's EXACTLY the sort of excuse one would expect a cult to make up to explain what is observed which is entirely 100% consistent with the same state that would occur if there was no deity. Why is there a deity that *could* cure cancer in innocent children but does not ? Why ? Cuz it's all bs, and you people *must* cook up crap like "divine chastity" to "apologize" for the inaction of your (supposed) deity. There is a reason 10 % of Americans are ex-Catholics. The god in the Old Testament (Yahweh Sabaoth ... the Babylonian war god, the 70th son of El Elyon, the chief Babylonian deity) was an action hero. He acted *directly*, and the Hebrews believed he did. Now you claim he acts "indirectly* ? When exactly did *that* change, and why ? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that modern humans know a lot more about reality, would it ? Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-04-2015, 08:37 PM
(11-04-2015 08:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 08:11 PM)CatholicSoxFan Wrote:  Well, sure. The powers referenced are the powers to affect the world indirectly through ones actions (similar to chaos theory). This would include the existence of cancer. My claim was not that people can directly cause (or cure) every cancer (much less that one can), but that the decisions of created persons can INDIRECTLY cause things like cancer.

Why ? Yet you claim your deity is powerful enough to stop the chain. It's EXACTLY the sort of excuse one would expect a cult to make up to explain what is observed which is entirely 100% consistent with the same state that would occur if there was no deity. Why is there a deity that *could* cure cancer in innocent children but does not ? Why ? Cuz it's all bs, and you people *must* cook up crap like "divine chastity" to "apologize" for the inaction of your (supposed) deity. There is a reason 10 % of Americans are ex-Catholics. The god in the Old Testament (Yahweh Sabaoth ... the Babylonian war god, the 70th son of El Elyon, the chief Babylonian deity) was an action hero. He acted *directly*, and the Hebrews believed he did. Now you claim he acts "indirectly* ? When exactly did *that* change, and why ? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that modern humans know a lot more about reality, would it ? Facepalm
One cannot give a power away and yet hold it at the same time. By "stopping the chain", God would take the power to affect the world, which is the same withholding of gift as if He didn't give it away in the first place.

The language used in the OT was such that everything was said to be caused by God. God (again delegating the power to write the OT to humans) respected that language and allowed them to speak it. God was speaking in the audience's language so to speak.
11-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Re: Theodicy of Divine Chastity
Do the "sinful" activities indirectly cause cancer? How does that work?

I'd hate to think that a sweet little innocent gets cancer everytime I masturbate furiously.
11-04-2015, 08:43 PM
(11-04-2015 08:37 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Do the "sinful" activities indirectly cause cancer? How does that work?

I'd hate to think that a sweet little innocent gets cancer everytime I masturbate furiously.
When an event occurs that is disordered (against the good "order" of things), it will affect other events in a disordered way. Because of the interconnection of events (similar to the "butterfly effect"), one disordered action by a created person will thus have an immense effect on the rest of the world.