Theorum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Theorum.
So I don't know if you've all read Richard Dawkins' book, "The Greatest Show on Earth", but I was wondering if there were any efforts out there to legitimize a term he coined. Early in the book, Dawkins explains the difference between a theory and a scientific theory, and to end confusion, he calls a scientific theory a theorum. He initially called it a theorem, but then switched it to theorum so that it wasn't like a math theorem.

I know this seems insignificant, but I firmly believe that if we managed to make it so scientific theories were officially (as in, accepted by dictionaries) a "theorum", It'd be a great help when it came to softening the misconception a grand majority of the population has regarding evolution.

Is there anything i could even do to help that happen? Other than use the word as much as possible, that is.
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
RE: Theorum.
The word 'meme' which I think he coined has become common usage, but I don't think even he is championing the 'theorum.'

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Oh look at that. I saw him use the word meme in the book, but I didn't know he actually coined it.

And damn it, I would absolutely love if either theorum or some other word replaced theory.
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

(02-03-2011 09:31 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  And damn it, I would absolutely love if either theorum or some other word replaced theory.

x2

Even my wife who is basically agnostic thought 'theory' in the wrong sense when talking about evolution. Sad
03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
(02-03-2011 09:31 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Oh look at that. I saw him use the word meme in the book, but I didn't know he actually coined it.

If you're reading Dawkins, you have to read The Selfish Gene. This is a command!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Will do! Right after I finish greatest show on earth.
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
(03-03-2011 07:51 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
(02-03-2011 09:31 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Oh look at that. I saw him use the word meme in the book, but I didn't know he actually coined it.

If you're reading Dawkins, you have to read The Selfish Gene. This is a command!

Strongly Agreed! BTW I didn't know either that he coined the term until I read it in that book. It really made my dayWink
I think that the word 'meme' turned out to be a good meme, beacouse there was a need in the language for this word. Before it, you couldn't express "meme" because there was no such a word. The word theorum doesn't fill such a gap in the laguage since most people are perfectly confortable with the word 'Theory'. SO it's a more difficult issue. Or i might be talking BS.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Nono, what you're saying makes sense haha. However, we'd just be so much better off if the word theory was changed to theorum when it applies to a scientific theory. When people learn of theorems, they don't confuse it with a theory, but when they learn of the theory of evolution, they confuse it with a non-scientific theory/hypothesis.